Drives: F80 M3

BMW Technology Updates for Spring 2022

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Technology Updates for Spring 2022
COMMENTS
Name:  BMW_eDrive_Zones.jpg
Views: 7791
Size:  280.8 KB

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – March 17, 2022…With the launch of the all-new, all-electric BMW iX and i4 come exciting, advanced technology features that take the interaction between driver and vehicle further into the digital future. And drivers of BMW Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles in three major California cities will benefit from automatic activation of all-electric driving.

Personal eSIM

The BMW iX and i4 are the first BMWs with available 5G support via Personal eSIM. An eSIM, or ‘embedded SIM’ is a SIM card built into in a mobile device – cell phone, tablet, smartwatch – that allows connectivity to a cellular network without a physical, removable SIM card. Personal eSIM allows a customer to add their BMW iX or i4 to their existing mobile phone plan, thus taking advantage of the vehicle’s 5G antenna and enabling an in-car WiFi hotspot. As many as ten devices can be connected to the vehicle’s WiFi hotspot simultaneously, providing users with high-speed internet access for mobile office work or video streaming in full HD quality.

In support of BMW Personal eSIM, T-Mobile is introducing Magenta Drive for BMW. An existing T-Mobile postpaid plan can be extended with T-Mobile Magenta Drive to activate the Personal eSIM in the vehicle. Personal eSIM is linked to the user’s BMW ID, not the vehicle, so it can be transferred to other BMW vehicles that have Personal eSIM functionality. The eSIM is configured automatically when users sign in with their BMW ID and is available immediately.

Set-up is completed seamlessly via the My BMW app, and once the vehicle has been added to the plan the customer’s phone does not need to be in the vehicle to make and receive calls using their current cell phone number.

Even if customers choose not to add their vehicle to their mobile phone plan, vehicles equipped with Personal eSIM functionality still benefit from the low latency and high bandwidth of a 5G connection when data is exchanged between the BMW Cloud and the vehicle. For example, Remote Software Upgrades can be downloaded to the car in a fraction of the normal time required. Personal eSIM is available as part of the Premium Package on iX xDrive50 and standard on iX M60.

Digital Key Plus

The BMW iX will also introduce BMW Digital Key Plus, the latest generation of the smartphone-based BMW Digital Key. Digital Key Plus uses secure, ultra-wideband technology that allows customers to use their smartphone to lock, unlock, and start their vehicles without having to take the phone out of their pocket or bag. With Digital Key Plus, the owner can set up a master key within the My BMW app on their phone, which will enable customers using iPhone to grant vehicle access to up to five other users. Parents will then be able to manage young drivers with vehicle access controls, which can restrict top speed, engine power, and maximum radio volume and ensure that the Dynamic Stability Control and Intelligent Safety features on vehicles so equipped cannot be deactivated.

eDrive Zones

BMW eDrive Zones is an innovative digital service designed to ease drivers of plug-in hybrid vehicles’ access into city areas designated as zero-emissions zones. When it enters one of these zones, a BMW Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle will switch to fully-electric driving mode automatically (provided the battery is sufficiently charged). The switch is triggered by geofencing technology and GPS, and the driver is advised of entry into a zero-emissions zone and the switch to eDrive via the vehicle’s iDrive screen. BMW eDrive Zones are presented in the main navigation map and in a preview map in the eDrive Zone app menu. The feature is being piloted in three cities in California: Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Jose. BMW eDrive Zones will be automatically activated in compatible vehicles.

Name:  BMW_eDrive_Zones.jpg
Views: 7791
Size:  280.8 KB

Name:  BMW_Personal_eSIM.jpg
Views: 7699
Size:  267.3 KB

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 4
      03-17-2022, 10:50 AM   #2
Niko ZV
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 Bmw M3  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Useful
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 10:51 AM   #3
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

10 devices connected at once? thats pretty impressive isn't it? Anyone know what other brands are currently offering? I could see that being really helpful for the kids iPads these days.

as far as the smartphone key goes, I wonder how consistent it will be. I know with the tesla If you dont have the app opened on your phone sometimes it wont work, you have to open the app and click the button. It was a pain for me randomly when it would happen. I dont like to keep apps opened on my phone, I always swipe them up, but with the tesla I had to keep that particular app always open otherwise the key wouldn't work.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 10:55 AM   #4
riguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X3 M-Sport 28i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
10 devices connected at once? thats pretty impressive isn't it? Anyone know what other brands are currently offering? I could see that being really helpful for the kids iPads these days.
They don't mention the I4 for the digital key. Does anyone know whether that works in the I4 and it was just an omission?
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10774.50
      03-17-2022, 11:00 AM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:

as far as the smartphone key goes, I wonder how consistent it will be. I know with the tesla If you dont have the app opened on your phone sometimes it wont work, you have to open the app and click the button. It was a pain for me randomly when it would happen. I dont like to keep apps opened on my phone, I always swipe them up, but with the tesla I had to keep that particular app always open otherwise the key wouldn't work.
Most mobile hotspots are around 10 devices. My wife's work hotspot is a 10 one; mine is up to 15 devices. I've seen 20+ ones, but most people have a 5-10 device hotspot.

Any (most) modern cellphone (iPhone, Samsung, etc) will currently allow 5 devices each hotspot.

The Netgear Nighthawk will connect 20 devices flawlessly in 5g and it's been around for 2-3 years.
Appreciate 2
GOLFFRR10774.50
Poochie9103.00
      03-17-2022, 11:00 AM   #6
The_Misano_Blues
Registered
Rep
Drives: F40 118i MSport Manual '22

Quote:

I use it all the time here in the UK with iPhone and it works fine. Sometimes it doesn't work with my Apple Watch but works seamlessly using the phone. Don't need the App constantly open like Tesla
Appreciate 2
GOLFFRR10774.50
      03-17-2022, 11:15 AM   #7
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
it uses UWB so it's always on (like your original BMW key). no app needed. UWB is also extremely accurate (it's the same protocol used to find your Apple AirTags in the Find My app that acts like a funky metal detector). no more tapping like ApplePay. Just walk up and drive. very neat stuff and a proper implementation to replace your BMW key. I guess the ONLY time you'd really need to open the app is when you want to enable remote start.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 2
GOLFFRR10774.50
iSpY21.00
      03-17-2022, 11:42 AM   #8
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Most mobile hotspots are around 10 devices. My wife's work hotspot is a 10 one; mine is up to 15 devices. I've seen 20+ ones, but most people have a 5-10 device hotspot.

Any (most) modern cellphone (iPhone, Samsung, etc) will currently allow 5 devices each hotspot.

The Netgear Nighthawk will connect 20 devices flawlessly in 5g and it's been around for 2-3 years.
So whats so special about listing this in the notes then? I guess thats what I was trying to understand if there was a benefit that BMW had over the other manufactures but it sounds like no bc hotspots can do this anyways?

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 11:48 AM   #9
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:

That's the main concern for me too, but if they get it working that'll be awesome. I like having the keycard as backup for when I go surfing or something because I can tuck it in my wetsuit and not worry about it getting wet, but hate having to take it out of my pocket and whatnot to use (and subsequently shove it up into the little tray).

I do have my iphone linked currently, but that's still a minor annoyance to have to take out of my pocket and hold against the door handle (and wiggle around till it detects) to get it to unlock. Lastly, does anyone know how to copy current driver profiles (seat positioning, infotainment screens, etc) from one key to another?
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10774.50
      03-17-2022, 04:46 PM   #10
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So whats so special about listing this in the notes then? I guess thats what I was trying to understand if there was a benefit that BMW had over the other manufactures but it sounds like no bc hotspots can do this anyways?
I don't know, but I'm guessing BMW is the first to put it into cars. "Built in"

But I think it's kinda like the bmw I drive 8 or 9 OS; most folks still prefer Apple CarPlay and in 5 years, Apple CarPlay will be doing more than any built in system by today's standard.

I think it's personal preference? I don't know.
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10774.50
      03-18-2022, 09:42 AM   #11
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:

We've had Teslas for over 10 years.

Honestly in the last 5 years, I don't remember ever having to open the app to ensure the iPhone Tesla key feature worked to open or start the car in the model S or Y.

I have at times struggled with the vehicle recognizing the proximity of the phone and then taken it out of my pocket to open. But that has been very rare as well.

But soon all these cars will be moving to UWB tech as another member mentioned so even that shouldn't be an issue.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2022, 09:51 AM   #12
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The new 5G WiFi 6 Mobile (MR5200)
Nighthawk M5 5G WiFi 6 Mobile Unlocked, will even do THIRTY-TWO (32) devices at 1.8 gigabytes per seconds, nearly 2 GPS with a 5G mobile hotspot with 32 devices.
I've haven't seen it, but that's blazing fast and it's been out for around 6 months or so.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 11:31 AM   #13
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

1) esim means that I can use providers other than T-Mobile?

2) I wish they said how widespread digital key plus is going to be for 2023 models. I assume at minimum it will expand from the iX to the new 7 and x7 LCI.
For those doubting this feature, the physical key fob is actually also going to be UWB just like the phone as it allows for even more precise location of the key in relation to the vehicle than current tech. Doesn't rely on a running app as it is firmware/OS based, and actually will work for quite some time after the phone hits 0% battery.
This will also be added to android as soon as they (software, oem, phone manus) offer it. This tech was developed by a consortium of car oems and phone makers. The current version where phone needs to be next to the car is only limited to apple because bmw and apple chose to be early adopters. Everyone has been waiting for this standard to be finalized as it is a true fob replacement. Over the next few years we should see this version scale beyond bmw and apple as fast as they feel the desire to invest.

Teslas Bluetooth tech was more of a hack to get them ahead of market as an offering but is not scalable beyond it current functionality. It is essentially the same tech as a digital hotel room key.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 09:23 AM   #14
muni61
Registered
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

Thanks for sharing the updates!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 03:04 PM   #15
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by riguy View Post
They don't mention the I4 for the digital key. Does anyone know whether that works in the I4 and it was just an omission?
Only available on the iX for the moment, likely due to the sensor hardware requirements.