08-23-2021, 12:44 PM   #23
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Hard not like it more than the iX since the front end is shared (obviously the grill and mesh aren't identical) with the F95 X5 M.

Good pictures. Unlike the cars with Edsel grills, I can live with the proposed front end but I still prefer the X5M front end. The X5M looks aggressive; the proposed front end looks softer and less aggressive.
Appreciate 1
Auricom4361.50
      08-24-2021, 02:50 AM   #24
JorgenM
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: Jag i-Pace and BMW i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Hydrogen cars go vroom and have gears right? If so I'd be down.
No sound. The hydrogen fuel cell is just powering a battery with electricity which again powers an electric motor. Basically it's a BEV, but with smaller battery.

Hydrogen is a waste of energy compared to full electric, so it's for sure not the future, except maybe for trucks etc.

They use loads of energy to make the hydrogen, then the hydrogen is converted back into electricity... Not very efficient
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 10:53 AM   #25
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgenM View Post
No sound. The hydrogen fuel cell is just powering a battery with electricity which again powers an electric motor. Basically it's a BEV, but with smaller battery.

Hydrogen is a waste of energy compared to full electric, so it's for sure not the future, except maybe for trucks etc.

They use loads of energy to make the hydrogen, then the hydrogen is converted back into electricity... Not very efficient
There was some vid of a Hydrogren powered Toyota which made vrooms so I got excited.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 12:09 PM   #26
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
X5H
X5E
X5I
X5D
X5G

There BMW, I solved your naming problem. Because naming problem there is.

Please invest more into Hydrogen also. Im not in on the electricity only cars and shifting pollution to developing countries, nor do I need cars that do 0-62 in under 3 seconds (having tried them).
Appreciate 1
Masander261.00
      09-06-2021, 10:20 AM   #27
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarlasaM View Post
Those cylinders are old tech and takes too much space. I am guessing this is just a RWD model. Check out this new Hydrogen capture and containment system by Plasma Kinetics. https://plasmakinetics.com/
Light, Compact, and super economical to refill.
Sounds so perfect that it almost seems like a fake website. Where can we learn more? I'll go see what google says…
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 02:01 PM   #28
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I wonder if hydrogen combustion engines will gather any momentum in cars?
JCB have developed a hydrogen combustion engine that they will use in their trucks and they state these are zero emission although I've read elsewhere that there is some nox produced

The upside is that most if the engine parts remain the same so it's not very expensive
Masonite just a matter of producing hydrogen cleanly

I've always thought hydrogen whether in a fuel cell or a ICE is the future rather than batteries
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 02:50 PM   #29
fmc000
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d E91

The only problem I see is that molecular hydrogen doesn't exist on Earth and of course extracting it from water or methane or whatever needs energy that has to be produced in some way.

Not to mention that water vapor is a very powerful greenhouse gas (the most powerful, actually), so saying that hydrogen cars have clean exhaust is just a blatant lie.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 02:40 AM   #30
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Interesting , didn't realise that water was considered a greenhouse gas

I think that whilst humans are on the planet we will make a mess of it in some way or another ,. You could argue it's a natural thing. Even animals can make a mess of their environment in their own way. No one talks about population growth and restricting that which you could argue is a big issue

Anyway I digress , not sure what the answer is. If hydrogen could be produced cleanly ( solar powered?) it may be doable but as you say nothing is perfect. Lithium batteries are hardly green when you factor everything in.

From a usuability point of view refilling times of hydrogen being the same as petrol make sense and the whole point of the car is convenience and having to wait an hour at a charging point is certainly not that ( assuming it's free of course)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 08:01 AM   #31
fmc000
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Interesting , didn't realize that water was considered a greenhouse gas
Fact is that water vapor is the main temperature regulating factor on Earth. Increasing its quantity in the atmosphere has more or less the same effect that carbon dioxide has.

Quote:
Anyway I digress , not sure what the answer is. If hydrogen could be produced cleanly ( solar powered?) it may be doable but as you say nothing is perfect. Lithium batteries are hardly green when you factor everything in.
Agree.

Quote:
From a usability point of view refilling times of hydrogen being the same as petrol make sense and the whole point of the car is convenience and having to wait an hour at a charging point is certainly not that (assuming it's free of course)
It's not the same. Hydrogen is much more dangerous than gasoline or diesel, it's very easy to cause an explosion when refilling.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 06:55 PM   #32
///Motivated
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i, i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
The only problem I see is that molecular hydrogen doesn't exist on Earth and of course extracting it from water or methane or whatever needs energy that has to be produced in some way.

Not to mention that water vapor is a very powerful greenhouse gas (the most powerful, actually), so saying that hydrogen cars have clean exhaust is just a blatant lie.
In fact, water is a much more powerful greenhouse gas than CO2. Anthropogenic global warming assumes that small changes in CO2 will slightly warm the atmosphere, thus causing more water vapor to go into the atmosphere, which actually causes the ultimate warming. The water vapor causes 97% of the warming. Or alternatively, it could manifest as clouds that actually block solar radiation, but extra water vapor causing clouds to form is too far fetched.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 07:17 PM   #33
VeracityChief
Rep
Drives: BMW X5-45e

Hydrogen

Are there any plans for production and infrastructure development? If so, which countries?
Appreciate 0