BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

12-09-2022, 05:16 AM   #23
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by The J-Man View Post
No doubt the ix is a competent vehicle, but nobody really wants to be seen in one. Everybody wants an R1S, though. The Rivian is the more mainstream desirable product.
Then there are people that are indifferent to what they are "seen in". Cringe, bruh
Appreciate 3
xueju1121618.50
meko178.50
      12-09-2022, 06:07 AM   #24
npa201
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 m50i, IX 50, Rivian R1S

Truly love the refinement of the IX as a daily driver. So far this is one of the most impressive vehicles I’ve ever owned. It just misses some functionality that my X5 has (larger trunk and in the US a real tow option) but I’m definitely keeping this for the long haul. So a bit disappointed in this R1S review. I don’t plan on off-roading but liked the idea of more storage , 3rd row, and towing and thought I may be a viable replacement option for the X5 as it crosses about 4 years old and so have kept our initial deposit for now (especially with my price locked in around $80k). Also the IX is one of the quietest cars I’ve ever been in and to my surprise this is now a key feature for any car now for me as the alternative for no v8. Disappointed to hear from others reviewing the R1S of the loudness from the unit that controls the air compressor/suspension in the back. Finally, this isn’t that big of a deal in the northeast where I live but 111 mph cap? I thought my 125 mph cap on the IX was lame.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003943.50
      12-09-2022, 11:36 AM   #25
ppointer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3M, '12 335is, '22 540i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [5.25]
2012 BMW 335is  [5.00]
2008 Infiniti QX56  [0.00]
1967 Chevrolet Corv ...  [10.00]
2001 M Roadster  [10.00]
2022 BMW 540i  [0.75]
2009 528i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Absolutely. I've had an R1S on order for over a year. If I was given an iX I would sell it outright. I'm tired of road only "SUVs". I want the fully off-road capable vehicle that is also fantastic on road.

Also, the iX would be better as a minivan. Yeah I said it.
You're definitely not wrong. My best off-road capable SUV came from the early nineties with a locking rear diff, locking center diff and a conventional front diff, making it more like a 3WD. But it was capable enough for some off-roading with good ground clearance and suspension travel.

My current SUV is an old QX-56 that uses differential braking in 4H and 4L, with a locking center diff but open diffs both ends. It excels as an over-the-road hauler and tow vehicle, with adequate snow capability. But its off-road capability is too compromised, in my opinion, without locking differentials. I never go off-road but I regularly tow with it up to 6k lbs., and it comes with a very effective rear leveling system.

Speaking of compromised, that is my opinion of the X5 and X7. They can't excel at true off-roading, nor are they especially large inside for carrying things, nor are they highly capable towing machines. But they are fun drivers, and that is probably the point. What BMW offers today would not make my short list if I had to replace my QX-56.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 11:37 AM   #26
jcolinzheng
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

The article doesn't mention R1S's lack of HUD and CarPlay/Android Auto integration, where iX's implementation is class leading. I think those make a huge difference in the day to day experience, whereas iX's limitations in towing (for US) and trunk space only affect a small fraction of drives for a majority of buyers.
Appreciate 4
meko178.50
deutsch1003943.50
Paladin15556.00
      12-09-2022, 12:16 PM   #27
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
I agree, has nothing really to do with the outcome. Both vehicles are very nice.

It seems the traditional auto reviewers are just not well versed in EV's and different tech in each vehicle. They seem skim over some huge details.
I got to meet several auto journalists at my last job and was surprised that many of them are pretty clueless. They're good at reviewing cars from the major brands because those brands have press events where they explain the details and features of their cars to the journalists right before they go review the car. Then, all the journalist has to do is remember and repeat what they were told to their audience. A major thing that many of the new EV startups lack is an experienced press relations team so you end up with exactly what you're noticing.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003943.50
      12-09-2022, 12:23 PM   #28
hotrod182
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
Absolutely. I've had an R1S on order for over a year. If I was given an iX I would sell it outright. I'm tired of road only "SUVs". I want the fully off-road capable vehicle that is also fantastic on road.

Or better than a Model Y Performance. Better range (real world test results), quieter, more comfortable, better built, and not at every street corner.
2008 Monaco Blue JB3 2.0 335i Coupe. 11.33 @ 132.77 mph, 60-130mph: 6.95 seconds
2023 i4 M50 11.48 @ 121.56mph, 3.43 0-60 (dragy)
Appreciate 2
      12-09-2022, 12:36 PM   #29
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182 View Post
Or better than a Model Y Performance. Better range (real world test results), quieter, more comfortable, better built, and not at every street corner.
And impossible to be mistaken for an Uber :-P
Appreciate 6
deutsch1003943.50
Paladin15556.00
ppagiga660.00
      12-09-2022, 08:25 PM   #30
ppagiga
Major
Rep

This comparison has elicited some very interesting responses and emotions.

Apples to apples or not, lots of Rivian buyers will never take them off road. And haven’t seen the data but there is for sure some suburban dad demographic overlap with who is buying one or the other. It’s A comparison, not necessarily a definitive one. This isn’t 7 series vs S class. Lines are blurred here. We’ll see many more comparisons in the coming weeks and months, I’m sure. Model X, EQS SUV etc

Nevertheless, C&D does detailed reviews all the time. This isn’t meant to be one. It’s a broad strokes comparison that is sufficient to arrive at a 30k ft view of each vehicle.

To me this is more of an individual evaluation of each vehicle and how well it achieves its own mission. Less so a comparison.

Last edited by ppagiga; 12-09-2022 at 08:32 PM..
Appreciate 4
      12-10-2022, 08:47 AM   #31
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:

Funny, it looks nothing like a minivan to me. It looks very similar in shape to my 12-year-old Toyota Highlander, which I love.

I have no use or need to drive my EV off-road. I don't think the vast majority of EV shoppers do that, but those who do will get the Rivian. The iX is not an off-roading vehicle and not directly comparable. By the way, people who need off-roading vehicles are a tiny minority of EV buyers.

Quote:
No doubt the ix is a competent vehicle, but nobody really wants to be seen in one. Everybody wants an R1S, though. The Rivian is the more mainstream desirable product.
I can't wait to be seen in my iX around town! Folks in my Tesla club can't wait to see it in person, either. The Rivian is also a great product but it's for a different market.
Appreciate 2
deutsch1003943.50
      12-10-2022, 09:27 AM   #32
grueber
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50 2023

I didn't find the review that compelling. Frankly most of the written reviews I have read on EVs have been very superficial and don't address the multiple features and options.

The reviewer didn't address the ability of each vehicle to do level 2 driving and adaptive cruise. I have a friend who has a R1S and Tesla Y. I asked him about the Rivian and the first thing he said was the level 2 driving sucks. Frequently freaks out on simple things like passing an exit ramp on a highway.

Zero mention of the build quality issues with Rivian.

I have yet to see a video of a BMW with panel fit/loose weather stripping/loose plastic/ cracked wood trim like Rivian is pumping out. You want to spend a $100k on a vehicle with this build quality?
Appreciate 3
deutsch1003943.50
ppagiga660.00
bwoodahl235.00
      12-10-2022, 10:14 AM   #33
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:

1. IX does have minivannish look
2. It looks very handsome as far as minivans go
3. minivans is what most people buying SUVs should have anyway (considering their usage), but they dont becasue they dont wanna have the soccer mom-dad image and they cant intimidate anyone in one (a special category of people).

There, I said it too. Im glad Rivian exists as a product. No clue about Rivian's equity story or if it's all there...
      12-10-2022, 10:35 AM   #34
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i7 60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
1. IX does have minivannish look
2. It looks very handsome as far as minivans go
3. minivans is what most people buying SUVs should have anyway (considering their usage), but they dont becasue they dont wanna have the soccer mom-dad image and they cant intimidate anyone in one (a special category of people).

There, I said it too. Im glad Rivian exists as a product. No clue about Rivian's equity story or if it's all there...
From day 1 of our iX ownerships....iX might look controversial to some from the front, but I like it and it is very unique and kind of cool. Back looks good, but when the rear is open....the iX looks like a hearse. Sorry, once you see this, you can never un-see it
The side view really looks a wee like a Honda or Toyota minivan, albeit it a very nice minivan!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 11:30 AM   #35
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grueber View Post
I didn't find the review that compelling. Frankly most of the written reviews I have read on EVs have been very superficial and don't address the multiple features and options.

The reviewer didn't address the ability of each vehicle to do level 2 driving and adaptive cruise. I have a friend who has a R1S and Tesla Y. I asked him about the Rivian and the first thing he said was the level 2 driving sucks. Frequently freaks out on simple things like passing an exit ramp on a highway.

Zero mention of the build quality issues with Rivian.

I have yet to see a video of a BMW with panel fit/loose weather stripping/loose plastic/ cracked wood trim like Rivian is pumping out. You want to spend a $100k on a vehicle with this build quality?
Would have liked some talk about driver assistance features too. Rolls-like refinement statement on ix all I needed to hear re ix build quality and execution. It’s a given the Rivian will lag on build quality and tech.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 03:10 PM   #36
tuffcalc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 992 Turbo S

Quote:
Funny you say that - everytime I see a Rivian (especially the R1T) I can't believe that anyone would spend any money at all buying that contraption.

Likewise ... I love the look of the iX. I'm not alone, either.

To each their own I guess.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2022, 06:28 PM   #37
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
So you know everybody. Wow.
Such a weird and self centered assumption.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 1
xueju1121618.50
      12-11-2022, 01:38 PM   #38
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

BMW > Rivian > Tesla
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2022, 06:36 PM   #39
LouisianaBimmerFan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60 Black, BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Then there are people that are indifferent to what they are "seen in". Cringe, bruh
Like me. I couldn't care less what other people think. The car is for my pleasure and driving experience (I have owned 7 BMW's). I've owned two M5's, I had a Tesla S for 9 years. I think I washed my cars less than once a year. People thought I was crazy. Who cares?

P
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2022, 07:54 PM   #40
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffcalc View Post
Funny you say that - everytime I see a Rivian (especially the R1T) I can't believe that anyone would spend any money at all buying that contraption.

Likewise ... I love the look of the iX. I'm not alone, either.

To each their own I guess.
What don’t you like about the Rivian?

Rivian is fresh and new and has a tremendous amount of excitement and interest in the brand. I’ve had an R1T since July and people literally honk at me waving and smiling, run up to me in parking lots, etc.

I’ve never even had a comment about any BMW I’ve ever owned (6 of them). The iX has virtually zero demand/interest compared to Rivian. The iX is just unappealing in comparison. It’s unattractive, overpriced and the interior is too spartan and lacking in luxury and quality for the price point.

The rugged SUVs are in demand and the prissy pavement cruisers are not. Whether they use the capability or not, people want rugged SUVs, not minivans.

BMW totally shit the bed with the ix.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 09:24 PM   #41
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
What the hell are you doing in this iX forum then?
Every time an iX post made it to the front page, and we get idiot post like this.
Appreciate 3
JonoNZ679.50
xueju1121618.50
slampert162.00
      12-11-2022, 09:29 PM   #42
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:

Rivian is fresh and new and has a tremendous amount of excitement and interest in the brand. I’ve had an R1T since July and people literally honk at me waving and smiling, run up to me in parking lots, etc.

I’ve never even had a comment about any BMW I’ve ever owned (6 of them). The iX has virtually zero demand/interest compared to Rivian. The iX is just unappealing in comparison. It’s unattractive, overpriced and the interior is too spartan and lacking in luxury and quality for the price point.

The rugged SUVs are in demand and the prissy pavement cruisers are not. Whether they use the capability or not, people want rugged SUVs, not minivans.

Corny posts like this hurting, not helping, the brand
Appreciate 1
xueju1121618.50
      12-11-2022, 09:30 PM   #43
tuffcalc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 992 Turbo S

Quote:

It is very ugly. Build quality is terrible. Factory support is near non-existent. I could continue but I'd rather spend the next 30 seconds adding you to my block list.

PS - why are you on an iX forum? Sorry I won't be able to see your reply.
Appreciate 2
NomoTesla2171.50
grueber479.00
      12-11-2022, 09:35 PM   #44
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:

“I’ve never even had a comment about any BMW..” Until you fill the void, recommended reading below

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Enough-S.../dp/0440504708

Last edited by ppagiga; 12-11-2022 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
NomoTesla2171.50