Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

04-05-2019, 02:14 PM   #353
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Did nice rear delt and trap work hitting upper middle lower with few new moves involving prone side and y raises.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 02:18 PM   #354
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Some of this real talk has helped me out. I'm old ass man and still have big ass dreams and chase the shit out of em every day harder than ever. My diet keeps dialing in, my routine my rest it's a forever process and wouldnt think it was enough when I'm Jay Cutler sized.
Same here! Nice to be able to BS here with you guys but at the same time be able to ask questions about exercises or nutrition and get you guys to respond with some great advice on things I already know or didn't know. Old man here too Trying to keep up with my boys who all 3 of them are in their 20's i got them into the gym when each of them turned 16 which I would say all got lucky learning the correct way of working out and being able to take some really good quality supplements paid by me $ because their old man had to learn things the hard way. My parents never paid for my supplements nor did they really go to the gym. So I basically had to learn on my own just by watching people workout not knowing what each exercise really does? probably with the first five years of really not knowing what the hell I was doing but through the years I learned the do's and don't and right and wrong ways of doing things. And I'm pretty happy I was able to teach my boys everything I learned vs them figuring out and learning the hard way.

Btw they need to stop mooching off my supplements
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      04-05-2019, 02:54 PM   #355
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Yeah hook me up instead, fueling up and headed for arms later today for a double. Smoking bunch of chicken now.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #356
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Your boys are lucky to have you guiding them. It was kind of the same with me. My dad was a boxer and knew his way around a gym, but nothing like what we do.

I had an older Olympic lifter kind of mentor me, then met my current training partner who is a National competitor and he helped me progress more in 2 years than I had in the previous 5 years.

He approached me about training as I was the only consistent guy that showed up at the gym at 4:00am each morning. Been training together over 10 years.....still haven't caught up with him yet though!
      04-08-2019, 09:43 AM   #357
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Just watching in the gym you can pick that up pretty easily.

I wish I had a real dietician growing up! STILL haven't learned how to out-lift/run my poor eating habits.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      04-08-2019, 11:20 PM   #358
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Just watching in the gym you can pick that up pretty easily.

I wish I had a real dietician growing up! STILL haven't learned how to out-lift/run my poor eating habits.
poor eating habits are hard to break especially if you've been doing it all your life. but just like the gym, if you can get through hell week you can break the poor eating habit.

on that note had an AWESOME Chest/Tri day this evening. seems like all the New Years Resolutioner's have quit as I only see the regulars now.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      04-09-2019, 06:15 AM   #359
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Rmtt Did the shoulder presses with the shrugs at the top that you had mentioned. Actually did them on the hammer strength machine. Brutal. I usually can load up 115-125 each side and rep them out around 8, nothing crazy. Only managed 100lb each side and 8 was a real struggle, looked like my face was going to explode during the top shrug of my last rep lmao.

Side note on travel this morning so had to go to the hotel gym. Cardio and abs, nothing fun, t-minus 25 days until vacation!
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      04-09-2019, 07:48 AM   #360
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Will have to give that one a shot also
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 11:11 AM   #361
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Rmtt Did the shoulder presses with the shrugs at the top that you had mentioned. Actually did them on the hammer strength machine. Brutal. I usually can load up 115-125 each side and rep them out around 8, nothing crazy. Only managed 100lb each side and 8 was a real struggle, looked like my face was going to explode during the top shrug of my last rep lmao.

Side note on travel this morning so had to go to the hotel gym. Cardio and abs, nothing fun, t-minus 25 days until vacation!
Nice!

It's a different twist. You don't have to do them every time.....but is was the way I was taught a long time ago and the way I always do them.

But you will find that the more you incorporate them into your workout, you actually gain strength pretty quickly. I have shown this to guys that were stuck with weights in any type of overhead press. They have to lower the weight at first, but then they blow past their sticking point pretty quickly.

I guess something about activating the entire shoulder girdle helps with it!
      04-10-2019, 05:55 AM   #362
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

^Word, strength isn't my focus, but I love to push myself. So i tend not to keep track of the weights I pushed the previous week, I just ensure that my last set is always the most weight I can do (for a reasonable amount of reps lol).

Anything new I can throw into the mix is always a positive. In the words of Arnold, "You gotta shock the muscles!". I've always been a believer of that, the same workouts time and time again will only yield results for so long.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      04-10-2019, 08:06 AM   #363
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
^Word, strength isn't my focus, but I love to push myself. So i tend not to keep track of the weights I pushed the previous week, I just ensure that my last set is always the most weight I can do (for a reasonable amount of reps lol).

Anything new I can throw into the mix is always a positive. In the words of Arnold, "You gotta shock the muscles!". I've always been a believer of that, the same workouts time and time again will only yield results for so long.
Exactly. You see so many people in there doing the same thing over and over for years, and they look the same as they did when they first started.

Always good to make your body uncomfortable at times or it won't adapt. It doesn't have to be strength based...it could be volume, rest time between sets, etc.

As long as you are making progress in some form or another even if it seems like it's slow....you are still way ahead of 80% of the people you see in the gym!
      04-10-2019, 09:32 AM   #364
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Exactly. You see so many people in there doing the same thing over and over for years, and they look the same as they did when they first started.

Always good to make your body uncomfortable at times or it won't adapt. It doesn't have to be strength based...it could be volume, rest time between sets, etc.

As long as you are making progress in some form or another even if it seems like it's slow....you are still way ahead of 80% of the people you see in the gym!
So true Rmtt. I will add that it’s not good to 1rm every week. Work volume and percentages and only 1rm every 4-6 weeks. If you don’t track your weekly numbers you should at least calculate your percentages for your “big lifts”. This will really help with strength numbers. There is a lot of variation you can do by working percentages. I know most ppl don’t use this methodology but that is what separates those who “workout” and those of us who “train”. Aaaand the numbers never lie, you will see gains this way.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      04-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #365
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
So true Rmtt. I will add that it’s not good to 1rm every week. Work volume and percentages and only 1rm every 4-6 weeks. If you don’t track your weekly numbers you should at least calculate your percentages for your “big lifts”. This will really help with strength numbers. There is a lot of variation you can do by working percentages. I know most ppl don’t use this methodology but that is what separates those who “workout” and those of us who “train”. Aaaand the numbers never lie, you will see gains this way.
Yep....and it is so much easier now that there are apps for this on your phone. I remember keeping a notebook for years. Now I plug my numbers into my phone....and it sets my next 6 weeks of training up with reps, percentages, and rest times.

And I can choose from Wendler and all his variants, Westside, Smolov, and a whole lot of others if I want to.
      04-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #366
tony55343
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Yep....and it is so much easier now that there are apps for this on your phone. I remember keeping a notebook for years. Now I plug my numbers into my phone....and it sets my next 6 weeks of training up with reps, percentages, and rest times.

And I can choose from Wendler and all his variants, Westside, Smolov, and a whole lot of others if I want to.
What app do you use for this? Sounds like something worth looking into!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #367
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony55343 View Post
What app do you use for this? Sounds like something worth looking into!
I use a few...Mainly TM Training and one called Zero to Hero.

Only thing that sucks is that they don't have these if you have an I-Phone. I have recommended them before, but ran into it being for Android only.

But both are pretty powerful for being free. You can fully customize anything on it including accessory exercises and rest timers. You can also choose different types of progression such as linear, double, and so on where you have it automatically adjust the weights, reps, or sets you are using when you reach a certain point.

Honestly...it takes all of the thinking out of it. I show up at the gym, pull up the app, and my entire workout with weights and reps are laid out for me. Typically one different exercise each week will be tested with what's called an AMRAP set (As Many Reps As Possible).

Based on that, it will calculate your new 1 rep max and then auto adjusts everything when you start the next workout cycle based on what %'s you have setup. I typically work off of a 85% of my 1RM so that I have some volume built in with reps. But once during that training cycle....it will have you doing a double or triple to test things.
      04-11-2019, 12:04 PM   #368
tony55343
First Lieutenant
Rep

Rmtt dang, I have an iphone. That sounds super legit though and I wish I could use them.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      04-11-2019, 12:29 PM   #369
Spgm5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Singapore grey 14 m5

Check out strong app for iPhone users. Has a lot of the same features as described above. I've been using it for roughly 2 years now and I love it
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      04-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #370
tony55343
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spgm5 View Post
Check out strong app for iPhone users. Has a lot of the same features as described above. I've been using it for roughly 2 years now and I love it
Thanks I will download it now! Does it build your workouts/weights for you like he said his did above?
Appreciate 1
Spgm563.00
      04-11-2019, 01:26 PM   #371
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Freaking 1MOREMOD had his minions chip me yesterday. No upper body for at least 5 days until the steri-strips fall off. Can't even go in the ool either.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #372
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Whadido
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 04:35 PM   #373
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Eversense CGM chip implanted
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 04:55 PM   #374
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spgm5 View Post
Nice. Now I know what I can recommend to friends who've asked me in the past, but was limited by the platform.

Sure beats the spreadsheets I used to lug around before it came out!