BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

03-20-2021, 12:12 AM   #1
mws
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8, X5M, M760i

Introductions

Hi folks. Michael here. I just closed on a used i8 in Ft. Lauderdale. I live in Northern California. It's on a transport and should be here in a week. Bought this 2014 White/grey PIW with 1120 miles on it (not a typo) for the price listed here.

I am not new to BMWs. Wife has owned an E36 M3, I am on my second E66 760Li, where I transferred my mad-scientist V12 exhaust project from one older 760 to the other:

and also have an E70 X5m the wife drives now, and I have a E63 M5 project car with an ESS supercharger.

The 2016 Jag F type R I bought in August is probably on the chopping block, once the i8 shows up. I have test-driven one i8, I know it won't replace the F type for launch or speed, but I wanted something more civil and frankly, more beautiful and comfortable than the Jag. A nice replacement for the supercharged M6--which has 133k miles and no AWD and is just a way to roast tires.

If I really want to go fast, I am thinking of buying a C8 Vette, or building a Superlite SLC Tesla conversion.

I am one of the pioneers of the HPFP repair that people do to avoid $10k + in repairs on their aging 760Lis, and hope to be able to add some value to this community. This forum has a lot more activity than any other i8 forum, and I am glad to make everyone's acquaintance.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 09:08 AM   #2
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
Welcome....
You’ll love the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 06:22 PM   #3
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

Congratulations and pleased to meet another enthusiast.

Last edited by YWGT3; 03-20-2021 at 07:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 11:31 PM   #4
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i

Welcome!
Congrats on your i8!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 10:40 AM   #5
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Enjoy it and looking forward to more activity on this board again with you
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 08:21 PM   #6
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Herzlich willkommen!

Look forward to your contributions. One area that is weak on this blog is performance enhancements for the i8.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 06:45 PM   #7
mws
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8, X5M, M760i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Look forward to your contributions. One area that is weak on this blog is performance enhancements for the i8.
Thanks to everyone for the kind comments and welcome.

From what little I know about this subject, thus far, yeah, performance tuning this car seems to be a lower priority than other forums, for sure, but I am glad there are at least a few choices. This choice seems to offer some of the highest HP gains, although they do caveat that with using higher octane fuel in order to optimize it. That is fine with me

https://www.chiptuning.com/us/bmw/i8...ercontrol.html

Only about 18 miles away is a station that pumps VP101, so I don't need to futz around with bottles of octane booster, or get into internet arguments about whether octane boosters work, or which is best, (or most carcinogenic). I called VP to check the Ethanol content and its about 10%. So, when mixing with California's 91 octane, one is well within the BMW limit spec of 25% max Ethanol.

Here's a handy Youtube movie showing a real-world application on an EcoBoost Mustang, and pointing out the benefits of "not" flashing your ECU, which I would prefer.

so, I ordered it and yes, we shall see how it goes. No reports back unless there's before and after data.

I also found these guys, when looking for movies about tuning boxes. They have a video where they tell you why they hate tuning boxes and then--(dun dun dunnnnn) sell you their remap. But--unlike most i8 tunes, they claim similar (decently large) gains as DTE tuning for their own Stage 2, but with an ECU remap that they swear, does not show when flashed back. I wonder....

https://truetune.info

when you type in BMW i8 and look for stage 2, it has a note: "Decat".

I have an email in to them to ask what happens with stage 2 and a cat.

>>>>>>>

Just for curiosity's sake, I also ordered The dreaded Pedal box. I was not going to do it, I think they are probably B.S., but they say it has a money back guarantee. I would like to at least, test it for all sorts of stuff.

*Launch control =why bother? The pedal is already mashed and you get 1G of initial force.

*standing start with no launch control? =sure.

*rolling tests from one speed to another? =absolutely.

one could check time differences and G-force amounts and slopes and whether there's any difference between 70% throttle and WOT.

https://www.chiptuning.com/us/bmw/i8.../pedalbox.html

I have seen the opinions regarding "pedal box piggy back units" on this forum and would ask people withhold their flame until some Dragy test results are posted --which I will provide. I am VERY skeptical, myself.

I have a 650hp supercharged V10 M6 and the throttle response on that with DTC off in max M mode is just monstrous. You can just about snap a persons neck with the throttle. Same for the Supercharged V8 Jag F-Type R, of course.

On the i8, I expected it to be less urgent, but it does appear to be purposefully muted and delayed--for a more "gentlemanly hybrid-GT approach". I don't hate it, outright, but...curious to see whether they can actually improve that without eefing it up. Could be it's just turbo lag... I could buy that as being true, as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 06:40 PM   #8
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

The stock BMW tune is designed with smooth transitions in mind, mostly to protect the complex drivetrain. Most tunes deliver more 'bite'. Weight loss and better rubber are good places to start.
Appreciate 0