BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

04-12-2020, 01:03 PM   #1
Kev.k
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: VW Amarok Highline

Changing to aftermarket wheels.

I’m seriously considering buying a i8.

I never thought I would be in this position, as I was not keen at all when it was launched. I thought there were many other cars I would buy if I had £100k, but used they seem very good value.

My initial ignorance to the i8 meant that I didn’t bother reading or watching reviews. I’m shocked at what a good car they actually are and how good the engine (for what it is) sounds.

I’ve watched various road test and the biggest negative issue seems to be the width of the front tyres.

Does adding wider wheels negatively effect anything or invalidate warranty?

I know BMW’s warranty policy is a lot stricter than it once was.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 01:21 PM   #2
Kev.k
Enlisted Member
Rep

Apologies. Found the search function.

https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/s...1124398&page=2
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 03:08 AM   #3
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.k View Post
I’m seriously considering buying a i8.

I never thought I would be in this position, as I was not keen at all when it was launched. I thought there were many other cars I would buy if I had £100k, but used they seem very good value.

My initial ignorance to the i8 meant that I didn’t bother reading or watching reviews. I’m shocked at what a good car they actually are and how good the engine (for what it is) sounds.

I’ve watched various road test and the biggest negative issue seems to be the width of the front tyres.

Does adding wider wheels negatively effect anything or invalidate warranty?

I know BMW’s warranty policy is a lot stricter than it once was.

Thanks
In reality driving on UK roads, I never have had an issue with lack of front end grip. Have traction issues sometimes pulling away in edrive mode, especially if damp, but you get plenty of grip from those narrow tyres for everything but track driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 10:36 PM   #4
Kev.k
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsirrah View Post
In reality driving on UK roads, I never have had an issue with lack of front end grip. Have traction issues sometimes pulling away in edrive mode, especially if damp, but you get plenty of grip from those narrow tyres for everything but track driving.
I’m not keen on the standard wheels, I just don’t like narrow wheels. The car I’m interested in has the “w” design type.

I think a set of wider 21” forged wheels really transform the look and character of a i8.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 02:22 AM   #5
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.k View Post
I’m not keen on the standard wheels, I just don’t like narrow wheels. The car I’m interested in has the “w” design type.

I think a set of wider 21” forged wheels really transform the look and character of a i8.
Well, if its about changing the look then that's a different matter. Choose whatever you like. I had my W wheels powder coated black, just makes it look a bit meaner without mucking about with the standard set up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 10:51 AM   #6
Kev.k
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsirrah View Post
Well, if its about changing the look then that's a different matter. Choose whatever you like. I had my W wheels powder coated black, just makes it look a bit meaner without mucking about with the standard set up.

That looks great.

They’re the same wheels the one I’m looking at has. If I buy it plan too keep them for when I sell.

I think the i8 looks better with wider wheels, but that is subjective.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 03:12 PM   #7
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Freude am fahren ... IMO the priority for a high performance car like the i8 is just that: performance. Looks are important, but wheels/tires are a key component of performance. Unsprung weight, offsets, front/rear balance have a significant influence on handling. My advice is to get wheels that look good to you, and improve the performance of your car. Widest is not always best.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 08:43 PM   #8
Kev.k
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Freude am fahren ... IMO the priority for a high performance car like the i8 is just that: performance. Looks are important, but wheels/tires are a key component of performance. Unsprung weight, offsets, front/rear balance have a significant influence on handling. My advice is to get wheels that look good to you, and improve the performance of your car. Widest is not always best.

Any wheels I buy will be forged and lightweight. They will also be the correct offset and spec. Extra tyre weight kills and savings though.

Turn in is said to improve with wider wheels.

Not cheap but worth it imo. I really think they make a huge difference to the look of the car.

I understand bmw we’re trying to get a few more miles per gallon with the wheel design, but I really don’t like them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 10:53 PM   #9
P.K.
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Grey BMW i8

Garage List
I guess I went the other way - 19" - lighter, mass closer to the torque, lowers the car 3/4 inch, 9 inch front 10inch rear. As you can see - the tires are covered in debris but my wheel wells stay clean.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 08:59 PM   #10
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i

+1 for me - looking for wider tires, but with either maintaining or improving handling.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 02:57 PM   #11
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

I will opt for wider tires. Hoping for more front end grip to allow better power slides. Still hoping to find set of black stock 516 wheels.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 06:28 PM   #12
mws
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8, X5M, M760i

PK can you respond with specs and weight of your new setup please

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.K. View Post
I guess I went the other way - 19" - lighter, mass closer to the torque, lowers the car 3/4 inch, 9 inch front 10inch rear. As you can see - the tires are covered in debris but my wheel wells stay clean.
this is intriguing. I would want to go full forged (lose weight) and stay the same diameter, but VS forged, does not have any forged billets smaller than 8.5" wide. I can still be under stock with the rim, but as some mention, a wider 20" tire might negate any weight savings and put you right back where you started.

Can you please post the rim size and ET? did you do any weighing before and after?

Any rubbing issues?

Most people go larger than 20", and then, wider, which I can imagine might not rub, but you went smaller AND wider. I would expect potential issues, unless you have none.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 11:05 AM   #13
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

The stock 516 wheels are outstanding, low weight. I put slightly wider Michelins on and I love it.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 09:56 PM   #14
mws
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
The stock 516 wheels are outstanding, low weight. I put slightly wider Michelins on and I love it.

the weight of those rims is not easy to find on the web. I found this,

https://www.facebook.com/i8Procar/ph...2845716719486/

which asserts they weigh about 17.6 lbs for the rears. hard to imagine. There's lots of potentially bad info on the web. I'd love some corroboration. Have you ever weighed yours with tires off?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 08:58 PM   #15
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

I think BMW states something like 19 front, 21 rear.
The only weight-saving option that I am aware of are the BBS FI-R
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 10:54 PM   #16
mws
Private First Class
Rep

those two posts from you are almost a year part. So you found a set of 516s? Then for stock BMW rims that is decently light, considering I am seeing (have not weighed yet) the 625s are in the 24-ish lb range.

this website says 625s are in the 24 lb range for fronts and even more in the rear.

https://www.carsaddiction.com/en/wheels/BMW/style-625

The BBS-FI-Rs are indeed light, great tip--thanks, but pricier than I would be willing to go.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 06:49 PM   #17
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Car came w 516s.
Appreciate 0