BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-15-2021, 01:16 PM   #1
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Moving to DFW?

We’re considering moving to the DFW area sometime this year. Mostly looking in Plano/Allen. We have two little ones and the oldest will be turning three soon so schools are a priority. We also prefer privacy so a location with good space between homes is important. In the next few weeks we’ll be flying out to check out the area and look at few homes.
To the people who live in the area ...what do you like and what don’t you like about living in DFW? Any suggestions on neighborhoods we should check out? Any place we should stay away from? Our realtor has given us suggestions but we don’t want to base our move on one persons point of view. We don’t know anyone in the area so I’d like to be as informed as possible before considering placing a bid on a home.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 07:15 PM   #2
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Is that Dallas Forth Worth ? We have used city-data for a few moves, nice place to start.
Appreciate 2
BMWBear863.00
Tommy-G4478.50
      05-15-2021, 07:55 PM   #3
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
We’re considering moving to the DFW area sometime this year. Mostly looking in Plano/Allen. We have two little ones and the oldest will be turning three soon so schools are a priority. We also prefer privacy so a location with good space between homes is important. In the next few weeks we’ll be flying out to check out the area and look at few homes.
To the people who live in the area ...what do you like and what don’t you like about living in DFW? Any suggestions on neighborhoods we should check out? Any place we should stay away from? Our realtor has given us suggestions but we don’t want to base our move on one persons point of view. We don’t know anyone in the area so I’d like to be as informed as possible before considering placing a bid on a home.

TIA
If you don't mind occasional deep freezes, large hail stones (think of your house roof and car) and Bermuda grass invasion, DFW is great.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 09:05 PM   #4
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
Is that Dallas Forth Worth ? We have used city-data for a few moves, nice place to start.
Yes .. interesting site. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 09:10 PM   #5
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Quote:
Yes .. interesting site. Thank you.
Assuming you found, but the forum is good...and bad lol

http://www.city-data.com/forum/fort-worth/
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 10:15 PM   #6
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Allen will get you more bang for your buck but it's further from downtown than Plano. If you're looking for upscale quality suburbs with ample space then Allen would offer more options. Plano is becoming the new downtown little by little. Allen has great schools too. If no household member needs to commute downtown then I'd go Allen. Plano is real fancy though (some parts such as the legacy west area and surrounding) but much more expensive.
      05-16-2021, 08:11 AM   #7
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F97 X3M Comp

I have lived in Frisco for the past 15 years and love it. Schools are fantastic and we have every amenity you could possibly need. If you want more space between homes, you should also check out Prosper.
      05-16-2021, 09:33 AM   #8
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie Dog View Post
I have lived in Frisco for the past 15 years and love it. Schools are fantastic and we have every amenity you could possibly need. If you want more space between homes, you should also check out Prosper.
Thanks .. Prosper was also suggested by our agent.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 09:35 AM   #9
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Allen will get you more bang for your buck but it's further from downtown than Plano. If you're looking for upscale quality suburbs with ample space then Allen would offer more options. Plano is becoming the new downtown little by little. Allen has great schools too. If no household member needs to commute downtown then I'd go Allen. Plano is real fancy though (some parts such as the legacy west area and surrounding) but much more expensive.
Thanks .. no commute as I work remotely. I’d like to buy something made within the last 5 years to avoid the maintenance and updates needed in an older home.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 06:04 PM   #10
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
We're considering moving to the DFW area sometime this year. Mostly looking in Plano/Allen. We have two little ones and the oldest will be turning three soon so schools are a priority. We also prefer privacy so a location with good space between homes is important. In the next few weeks we'll be flying out to check out the area and look at few homes.
To the people who live in the area ...what do you like and what don't you like about living in DFW? Any suggestions on neighborhoods we should check out? Any place we should stay away from? Our realtor has given us suggestions but we don't want to base our move on one persons point of view. We don't know anyone in the area so I'd like to be as informed as possible before considering placing a bid on a home.

TIA
Make sure you were look at the Frisco independent school District. We had a real good experience there, just graduated twins last year.
We were in far West McKinney, in the Stonebridge Ranch area. Great place to raise kids.

I like Allen too, but the big drawback is the high school. It's bigger than a lot of colleges. I thought my kids would get lost in the mix, and it's hard to make any varsity teams.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 11:01 PM   #11
lionyard
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

My home town has a lot traffic. lol
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 12:05 AM   #12
AlphaDent
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

I grew up in Plano but now live in Frisco - both great school districts. Allen school district is great, too.

Plano is getting 'old' - everything is moving north towards Frisco, Allen, McKinney, Prosper, etc.

A LOTTTT of new build homes in Frisco, Allen, McKinney, etc. You mentioned wanting some privacy between homes - that depends on location or price. Location-wise - you may not like Frisco, McKinney, Allen because the homes may be too close together (I've grown up here so it's normal for me, so no sure what you consider 'too close').

Price -- if you're rollin' and want something $2-3M+ -- then sure, you can purchase a large estate. Those neighborhoods have some space between homes.

Other than that - moving a little north to Prosper, Savannah, Celina, may be a better option -- but then your school district won't be as strong **YET**. Newer areas take time for their school districts to develop. Plus, elementary school is important -- but to me, middle and high school are more important. If you have a 3 year old -- you have at least 7-8 years before they head to middle school, which allows the newer cities to develop. And maybe you'll move before then - who knows!

Good luck with your search!
Appreciate 2
Todd0131379.50