BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

03-28-2021, 09:09 PM   #1
mws
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8, X5M, M760i

2014 white PIW with 1100 miles, showed up yesterday

Very happy with it. Glad to finally have one. Smells new.

Read up on launch control and how to warm up the engine properly before. Its not bad! Launch control is a must the showing people the car for a first impression. This said, comparing to my Jag F-type R AWD and my Supercharged E63 BMW M6 (V10) with 650hp). The salesman I got a test-drive with, here in California, did NOT show me launch control. But, it was a nice surprise, once I got my car from Florida.

This is my favorite view from the i8. It has a nice rear, and it's great to be able to see some of it in the rear view mirror.

Last edited by mws; 03-28-2021 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 10:39 AM   #2
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Congratulations to the new car in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 03:38 PM   #3
mws
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
Congratulations to the new car in the garage.
Thanks, man. I am still in honeymoon mode over it. finding excuses to take it to the grocery store, or out for a quick ride before end of day.

Very comfy. Getting in is not such an issue. I manage to do it by sitting down completely on the sill, guard with my left hand on the bolster so it won't get damaged, and dropping right in, butt-first, then legs. Getting out? Still figuring out a good way that does not involve raking the seats mercilessly on the way out. Trying legs first, then butt on sill, and left hand on the seat to push my way up and out. I am not a fan of the "one leg in and swoop" because I am concerned about scraping the bolster to pieces.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 06:46 PM   #4
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I do the one leg in maneuver, put a hand on the sill. Never scrape bolster.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 10:08 PM   #5
mws
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
I do the one leg in maneuver, put a hand on the sill. Never scrape bolster.
I tried that. I believe I figured it out. I scrape my head going in, but I can make it happen without scraping the bolster if I grab the sill with left and steering wheel with right (US car). Getting out "is" possible, but it is always tough for me to get from the seat bottom up onto the sill. Easier to exit with the "two legs out and grab some stuff" maneuver.

if you don't mind me asking, how tall a person are you? I am 6'4" and not heavy-set. My seat is set as far low, and almost as far back, as it can possibly go. I watch shorter people get and out easily, probably partly because the seat bottom is closer to the level of the door sill, and they don't have to watch their head like I do.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 09:40 PM   #6
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

I am 6'3. I step in with one (right) leg, and don't need to touch anything. Sometimes I put left hand on roof getting in, and left hand on sill like pommel horse getting out. But I usually go in and out with no hands. The door needs to be all the way up, and even still it is a bit of limbo getting in. Seat is all the way back and down.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 11:23 AM   #7
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

OK, so the ingress - egress issue caught my interest. My brother came for a visit, I tossed him the key, and climbed in the passenger side. Whoa! that was tough! I am totally adapted to the one leg in on drivers side, but the muscles (and nerves) are not used to getting in on the other side. I think the one leg entry builds up some core muscles. Now to work on the other side to balance things out.

Point being, I think with practice the one leg entry becomes easier. You position and balance off your left leg, hold roof with right hand briefly if you need, and limbo in. Left hand on sill if need be, easier to get out that way.

I rarely get back spasms, but since i8, no issues. I think it is good exercise.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 08:09 PM   #8
ghaffari46
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 e90

I'm 170 cm and " butt first " strategy works great for both side getting to the car
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 07:36 AM   #9
MGRMLN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GT-R Black Edition

I'm 5'10" and use the butt on sill, fall in, swing feet in method. If you do it enough times, it becomes muscle memory and I neither scrape the bolster or bang my feet on the dash pad "bumper" anymore.
Appreciate 0