BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

04-05-2021, 08:05 AM   #1
Byhlinder
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Old vs Facelift i8

Hello everyone!

Looking to purchase an i8 (again, sold the old one and miss it...)
but can't decide if I should pay a bit extra and get the facelift one or stick with the old one. The upgraded range on battery and Apple CarPlay is nice of course but not something that decided that I HAVE to have the new one.

What are your opinions? Is it worth to get the updated one or should I stick with an older one?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 09:02 AM   #2
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 LCI

Depends on the price difference and how often you use it?

If it's a daily driver, and the little differences like CarPlay/Better Nav resolution/Range make an every day difference, it's nice to have.

Type of journeys - if commuting, and you can use a lot more electric range, then that helps negate the price difference (I'd say 40 miles max would be the sweet spot for utilising the bigger battery). If it's really long journeys daily, the difference is going to be less and less worth it.

Weekend - probably won't make much difference so you can ignore the above.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 09:22 AM   #3
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

Well here is my opinion (went from original i8 to i8 Roadster):

1) The bigger battery made a big difference for me as I do like driving it as an "EV" on occasion. I can go faster in freeways on E-Power, and the range means I can go more places without turning on the engine.

2) The wireless CarPlay is very important to me, but its personal. The improved UI is not a must have but kind of good.

3) Honestly I preferred the "old" seats and steering feel. The new seats are "better" and the wheel has "weight" but its not more connected. So its not a bad thing but I would not call either an improvement. The old one felt more "effortless" but the new one is just as capable. I liked the minimalism of the old one.

4) Facelift is a mix. I really liked the old hood. The new one is a little more "normal." But again if the old one wasn't around it would be cool on its own.

Final thing is look at the interior detailing changes. That may tilt it for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 10:01 AM   #4
Byhlinder
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Good points from both of you!

It will be a DD and the commuting is about 25 miles so should work fine on battery.
Ah i didnt even think about the other upgrades in the infotainment system besides carplay. Good point for sure!

The design changes is so minor that i dont care about them to be honest. I quite like them both in diffrent ways.

Hmm, i havent tried the new seats so i didnt even knew they changed them..I liked the old ones, would you say that the new ones are more comfortable but less..."racey" maybe?

Pretty sure that commuting and long GT cruising will be the main use from it. And since i love trying to du trips with low fuel consumption i thought the new one would make it even more enjoyable ��.

The price diffrence is about 10k (euro) so not that big to be honest. And my guess is that the update will hold value a bit better!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 12:31 PM   #5
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byhlinder View Post
Hmm, i havent tried the new seats so i didnt even knew they changed them
New seats are only in the Roadster - my LCI Coupe has the same seats as the original Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 04:49 PM   #6
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

There are differences contingent on USA or Euro.
I like the CF interior trim, Donnington grey, heads-up display, lighter 516 wheels, ...
But the key differences are suspension/chassis, how it handles in sport mode.
Warranty coverage is important, so getting an LCI with years remaining is nice.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 06:24 PM   #7
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 LCI

I did the calculations and I would save maybe £500 a year on fuel (I mainly do motorway miles, 13,000 a year) and my trips are 40-60 miles between charges. This and the not huge price difference at the time meant LCI made sense.

Add up the extra warranty cover and carplay install costs etc. and it sounds like it will be worth it for you!

Currently in the UK the LCI stock has nearly been depleted which means the average LCI price has gone up, the cheap LCIs were hoovered up last Spring/Summer.
Appreciate 0