BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #45
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Varies, one year I'll spend '000's on tailor-made suits and shirts and then I'll have a quiet year like this one when I may spend $1-2k.

I do like Thomas Pink shirts.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 03:48 PM   #46
M2381
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, GTI

2 grand on clothes/shoes
      10-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #47
HappyG
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i / 6SP

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Didn't realize how many gheys were on this forum...spending thousands on clothes? Don't forget to get some moisturizer and tuck the sack back while you're shopping. LMAO.

Leave the fashion to the girls shall we?

Just recently hanging out with my friends, this random girl commented on how she loved one of my buddy's jeans. She said they were really cute. He wad ridiculed for the duration of the night and is no longer my friend. GG.
      10-02-2008, 01:03 PM   #48
Haute Z
Rep
Drives: Zed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyG View Post
Didn't realize how many gheys were on this forum...spending thousands on clothes? Don't forget to get some moisturizer and tuck the sack back while you're shopping. LMAO.

Just recently hanging out with my friends, this random girl commented on how she loved one of my buddy's jeans. She said they were really cute. He wad ridiculed for the duration of the night and is no longer my friend. GG.

<--- girl

So I guess I can get away with it
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 01:38 PM   #49
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:

Let me guess, you aren't in a professional field are you? Its tough not to spend a few thousand a year if you wear suits to work everyday.

I probably spend 5k ish on clothes and shoes in a year. My wife proabaly spends that on shoes.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #50
HappyG
Major
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
Let me guess, you aren't in a professional field are you? Its tough not to spend a few thousand a year if you wear suits to work everyday.

I probably spend 5k ish on clothes and shoes in a year. My wife proabaly spends that on shoes.
I don't count work clothes as part of this discussion. Most people were talking about jeans and what seemed to be casual or going out attire. Sneakers, jeans, etc...

Even with work clothes I try not to spend too much as most of us aren't being reimbursed for buying a nicer suit. I refuse to pay large sums of money to look highly fashionable at work. You'd basically be working for the clothes that you wear to work. Dumb.
      10-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #51
jaiman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I don't count work clothes as part of this discussion. Most people were talking about jeans and what seemed to be casual or going out attire. Sneakers, jeans, etc...

Even with work clothes I try not to spend too much as most of us aren't being reimbursed for buying a nicer suit. I refuse to pay large sums of money to look highly fashionable at work. You'd basically be working for the clothes that you wear to work. Dumb.
no, you aren't being paid to wear a nice suit. You are being paid to get things done. I've found that's easier to do when one is dressed properly. Being well dressed shows that you care about your image and the image of the people you represent. Now, "dressed properly" will depend on the industry. I have friends in advertising, and if I showed up to work looking like them, my credibility would take a pretty big hit. Of course, if I walked into their office wearing a bespoke suit they'd have a similar reaction.

That said you don't need to spend a ton of money, but you aren't going to get by on a couple hundred dollars a year, either.

The old adage of "Don't dress for the job you have, but for the one you want" is a good bit of advice.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 04:39 PM   #52
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Probably around $1500 a year.

I buy nice clothing, but I don't go overboard like some of you guys. My rationale is, your appearance is everything. How you dress says a lot about you. If you can afford to drive a BMW then you can afford to wear designer clothes.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 04:53 PM   #53
HappyG
Major
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
no, you aren't being paid to wear a nice suit. You are being paid to get things done. I've found that's easier to do when one is dressed properly. Being well dressed shows that you care about your image and the image of the people you represent. Now, "dressed properly" will depend on the industry. I have friends in advertising, and if I showed up to work looking like them, my credibility would take a pretty big hit. Of course, if I walked into their office wearing a bespoke suit they'd have a similar reaction.

That said you don't need to spend a ton of money, but you aren't going to get by on a couple hundred dollars a year, either.

The old adage of "Don't dress for the job you have, but for the one you want" is a good bit of advice.
Wearing nicer clothes does not make me more productive. You're sounding like a corporate monkey feeding lines of BS about productivity, efficiency, and team work. oh brother.

Thinking, or worse, feeling that you do something better because of your attire is absurd. That's like telling a mechanic he can't fix cars because he's not wearing his grease stained jumpsuit. Or an off duty police officer he can't enforce the law because he's not in uniform?

No hard feelings, but it astounds me how people view certain topics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranzporter View Post
My rationale is, your appearance is everything. How you dress says a lot about you.
Superficial? Shallow? Take it easy with the appearance is everything line sir. LoL.

You're probably a model huh? Cause you would've killed yourself by now if you weren't...
      10-02-2008, 10:08 PM   #54
Neil
The Designer
Rep
Drives: Nissan

Quote:

Lucky for your "friend".
      10-02-2008, 10:16 PM   #55
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

In the corporate world, your appearance is very important, even more so if you travel. For instance, a relative of mine is CFO for a lighting company in Southern California and he travels to his manufacturers for meetings in China several times per year. To be honest, if he showed up in jeans and a t shirt, or even a cheap suit, they wouldn't take him seriously and probably poke fun at him for it....

On the other hand, if I showed up to my job dressed like him, with custom tailored suits and what not, my boss would look like this:
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 11:20 PM   #56
pittsy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez...E92 M3

somewhere between $5,000-8,000
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black | Bamboo | 6MT | 18s | 5% tint | No iDrive | Heated Seats | V1 hardwire | ///M Alu Pedals | Matte Black Grills | Painted Reflectors | CF Roundels | GP Thunder 8500k | Remus Race Exhaust | VMR V701 18s Matte Black
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2008, 11:39 PM   #57
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Quote:
Superficial? Shallow? Take it easy with the appearance is everything line sir. LoL.

You're probably a model huh? Cause you would've killed yourself by now if you weren't...
Why are you still here? Do you not realize that nobody cares what you have to say/think?

No I'm not a model you douche. I like to be presentable in how I dress. Does that bother you? Do you wanna cry about it?

:finger:
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 12:00 AM   #58
HappyG
Major
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranzporter View Post
Why are you still here? Do you not realize that nobody cares what you have to say/think?

No I'm not a model you douche. I like to be presentable in how I dress. Does that bother you? Do you wanna cry about it?

So in other words, you're a pretty boy. When you cry, do you do it in front of a mirror? LMAO.

People care about my comments as much as they do yours pretty boy. Relax.

Not only gheys, but sensitive ones at that like Tranz here. Geez.
      10-03-2008, 12:11 AM   #59
H0v07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 have no car

every time COUGH COUGH my bro goes out he buys something new -.-
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 12:45 AM   #60
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i

Buying designer clothes isn't "macho".

It also "doesn't make sense."

Furthermore, if you buy nice clothes and you're male, you're "gay".

"Instead, spending $45-100k on a car makes more sense."

WTF kind of logic is that?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 01:13 AM   #61
AMJ_77
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 M-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
Buying designer clothes isn't "macho".

It also "doesn't make sense."

Furthermore, if you buy nice clothes and you're male, you're "gay".

"Instead, spending $45-100k on a car makes more sense."

WTF kind of logic is that?
haha funny shit. If you make the money spend it on what you want. With that being said don't be stupid at the same time. If you are saving (and not just a couple hundred) at the same time no big deal. Just don't live paycheck to paycheck! Don't give advice to people who aren't looking for it!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 01:36 AM   #62
HappyG
Major
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
My gripe isn't with fashion or money, it's how guys these days are so into things that once was considered girly or overly feminine.. Now you have dudes taking care of themselves as much as their gf's do..what's the world coming to?

I'm not saying you have to be a brutish ape who doesn't shower, but cmon. Where does one draw the line?

/rant

Last edited by HappyG; 10-03-2008 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 09:03 AM   #63
jaiman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Wearing nicer clothes does not make me more productive. You're sounding like a corporate monkey feeding lines of BS about productivity, efficiency, and team work. oh brother.

Thinking, or worse, feeling that you do something better because of your attire is absurd. That's like telling a mechanic he can't fix cars because he's not wearing his grease stained jumpsuit. Or an off duty police officer he can't enforce the law because he's not in uniform?

No hard feelings, but it astounds me how people view certain topics.

No offense taken. You obviously don't get what I'm saying, and I'm not all that interested in explaining further.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 02:13 PM   #64
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Funny how lots of people here think that spending a lot of money on clothes makes other people think you're a better person.

Maybe a little, but not $5K/year worth.

Grow up, stop listening to the retail salesman and the clothing industry ad men.

The people who claim to be doing something productive by buying lots of expensive clothes are lying to themselves; don't lie to other people, too. You're just trying to justify the fist-fulls of money you piss away, for a brief rush of personal pleasure.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #65
jaiman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
Funny how lots of people here think that spending a lot of money on clothes makes other people think you're a better person.

Maybe a little, but not $5K/year worth.

Grow up, stop listening to the retail salesman and the clothing industry ad men.

The people who claim to be doing something productive by buying lots of expensive clothes are lying to themselves; don't lie to other people, too. You're just trying to justify the fist-fulls of money you piss away, for a brief rush of personal pleasure.

Says the guy who wears giveaway t-shirts! Sorry pal, the folks I work with/for earn millions per year. They care how they dress. In order for me to be taken seriously by them, I need to care how I look. And a Jos. A Bank suit won’t cut it. Try not to worry about the money I spend on clothes, to me it is a) a relatively small amount of money and b) something I consider an investment in my career.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 04:14 PM   #66
vq352k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi, e92 335I (Ret.)

hhmm this year i've probably spent $8,000+ ... hmm i never actually though about it 'til now... def. gotta cut back!!!
Appreciate 0