BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

08-28-2017, 11:49 AM   #1
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Post Lamborghini Huracan Performante

I had a test drive of the fastest road car in the world today; the Nurburgring road car record holding Lamborghini Huracan Performante.

It was stunning yellow car, and in fact the colour combination I most wanted to see in the metal.

There is a lot to like about this car, and some things I absolutely loved. The engine is top of that list. It is simply glorious, and is one of the best sounding engines I have driven. In Sport and Corsa (track) modes it bangs and pops wonderfully, as well as roaring when revved high. Simply beautiful.

I drove the car very briefly in Strada (street, or comfort) and it was fairly comfortable and not especially loud or bumpy.

The worst thing about the car was its seats though. The carbon bucket seats were actually far less comfortable than the carbon seats in my Lotus! Truly terrible. You can however opt for standard seats, which are a lot better. You cannot select leather though, only alcantara, which also annoys me.

Alcantara is a cheap, poorer wearing, synthetic fabric that is ideal on race cars as it is light and fire resistant. There is no sensible reason for it to be the only available option on a supercar.

A couple of Aventadors:

I mostly drove the car in Sport and Corsa, and it was very easy to drive, quick and impressive. Apart from not being able to see the extremities of the car, it was easy to drive. Traction from its 4WD system was unbreakable.

Full power acceleration from a standing start was smooth and powerful, as was accelerating generally. All very easy and controlled with no adverse drama. It did not feel as fast as the Nurburgring record suggests though, but that is only due to its smooth power delivery and gearbox. I suspect if I took it on track, I would me much quicker in this car than anything else I can think of, as it is so easy to drive and stable.

The instrument displays and switchgear and centre console were excellent, and the steering wheel second only to that in the F488. Feel through the wheel seemed good, but not up to F488 standard.

I walked away from the car hating only the seats, disliking the alcantara, liking most things about the car, and loving the engine.

However, I did not feel that I loved and desired the Huracan Performante. I would be happy with it, and would prefer it on track to anything else, but I did not feel I HAD to have it.

In conclusion, the F488 remains more desirable to me.

And when I drove home in my i8, I did not feel that I was in a worse car - just a car with different strengths
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2017, 12:11 PM   #2
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Just noticed in the car park pic, not a single front plate on any Lambo (or i8)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 01:05 PM   #3
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

Thank you for the write up! I've driven an Aventador with the CF Sport seats and they are awful, loathing things. I'd love to meet the person they are actually designed for.

In regards to the grunt, I don't believe the Huracan P is any quicker than a regular Huracan in a straight line. The regular Huracan is slower than a 570S from a roll so it didn't set that N ring lap based in acceleration. Based on my understanding it's just as a smooth operating with never ending grip, as you said in your review.

Were you able to feel the ALA system working?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 02:04 PM   #4
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Glad you enjoyed it, and yes...those seats

I suspect the P is a bit quicker in a straight line, due to slightly more power and torque, and less weight. But not dramatically so, as you indicate. It's all in the cornering speeds.

I could not feel the ALA at all, and really do not think anyone will, except on a very fast track with long sweeping bends. And even then you won't be able to isolate the ALA effect.

The stats suggest 350kg of downforce at 200mph I think. That's not a lot really, and I suspect the downforce at 100mph will be well under 100kg. I can't do the maths Perhaps someone has the data.

For comparison the old series 1 Lotus Exige generates 60kg of downforce at 100mph. That is a 17 year old car, and with aero mods it would probably generate around 100kg. It does however have poor efficiency though (drag).

My own gut feel is that the tyres are primarily responsible for most of the car's Nurburgring record. The better aero & vectoring helps too of course.

I have no doubt that record won't stand for long.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 02:21 PM   #5
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

I agree it's mostly down to tires. You have to think if Porsche wanted to create a track only tire for the 918 it could run in the low to mid 6:40's. The tires are just that important.

I've thought a decent amount about Huracans and the one I'd get is honestly the 580. All are similarly rapid, and I like the front end better of the 580. It also seems like the most fun Lambo. Doesn't take itself too serious with the lap times.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 03:03 PM   #6
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Sta07 View Post
I agree it's mostly down to tires. You have to think if Porsche wanted to create a track only tire for the 918 it could run in the low to mid 6:40's. The tires are just that important.
Yes, but in fairness, the Huracan used specially developed road tyres. And you can specify them when ordering the car.

Although when I asked today, the salesman strongly advised against them, saying they would be very compromised on the road.

If I had ordered the car, I would definitely have gone for the special tyres though. What's the point of a Performante that doesn't match the Nurburgring record holder

It's not as if I would drive it in the wet or snow anyway. And I have had such tyres on both my Lotus cars. You just have to take it (very) easy in the wet, and get them up to temperature before pressing on.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 04:34 PM   #7
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

I think the dodge demon tires are technically road legal though but they make you sing a waiver basically saying you won't drive it on the road. Without those tires it won't do the crazy times they advertised (oh and with seats it won't either

But the 918's will run 9.7 1/4's, trap 176 in the half mile, pull 1.1 G in the skid and break from 60 mph in 92 ft with 3 year old tire tech. As a machine it's astonishing. I'm sure a more aggressive tire compound could be made but it's a road car so what's the point? Also notice Mclaren didn't flaunt any lap times for 720S but I promise it changes your perspective of fast and is probably faster at most shorter circuits than Huracan P. Ultimately these are road cars and I like them to be usable on the road. Semi slick tires don't do it fir me. To each their own though my friend but the 580 would be the Huracan for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 01:59 PM   #8
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Sta07 View Post
(oh and with seats it won't either

Advertising Standards Authority in UK would have a field day with that

Personally, on a weekend car that I would not use much, I have always been happy with semi-slicks. Even on a moderately used Elise S2 in the past in fact.

I wouldn't dream of them on a daily use car, or long distance use car.
Appreciate 0