Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-11-2020, 10:17 PM   #45
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

In Ontario the limit is 120. Sign says 100 but I have LITERATELY cruised past police at 115 or so. In light traffic, left lane is doing 120, absolutely nailed down guarantee.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 05:37 AM   #46
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
In Ontario the limit is 120. Sign says 100 but I have LITERATELY cruised past police at 115 or so. In light traffic, left lane is doing 120, absolutely nailed down guarantee.
So the speed limit is 100 KMH and 110 on a few stretches of the QEW, 400 and a few other spots for a trial. I know what you are saying about the police not bothering with most cars at 120 KMH, hell I've passed them doing close to 130 but don't fool yourself, if they want they can stop and charge you at 101. I was a LEO for over 30 years in Toronto and I knew guys that took the speed limit very seriously and would stop people for 5 over.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2020, 07:28 AM   #47
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I've been here 16 years and have NEVER done 100 on the freeways unless it's a cottage weekend. 119 every time, relentlessly. Never had an issue and feels I am going backwards at times.

You want enforcement, go to AUstralia. Police and cameras absolutely EVERYWHERE and the nail you to a cross for 3 over. But, they do have corners which is more than I can say for the miserable roads here.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 07:44 AM   #48
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

There's always the fear of the ticket even if 99% of everyone is going 120+kph.

Kindof like when the OPP is rolling down the road at 110 or 105 and everyone bunches up behind them afraid to pass. They don't want to be that gazelle in front of the lion lol.

It's true tho, almost no one regularly goes the speed limit anywhere in Ontario.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 07:50 AM   #49
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
There's always the fear of the ticket even if 99% of everyone is going 120+kph.

Kindof like when the OPP is rolling down the road at 110 or 105 and everyone bunches up behind them afraid to pass. They don't want to be that gazelle in front of the lion lol.

It's true tho, almost no one regularly goes the speed limit anywhere in Ontario.
It should be raised to 120 or 130 and then enforced.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2020, 08:01 AM   #50
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I almost wonder if their plan is just to tag the 50+ overs because the penalty is so much greater.

I once heard someone say they would rather see traffic flowing than not, which makes sense. Once someone gets pulled over, everyone around slows right down to rubber neck.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      05-12-2020, 08:09 AM   #51
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
I almost wonder if their plan is just to tag the 50+ overs because the penalty is so much greater.

I once heard someone say they would rather see traffic flowing than not, which makes sense. Once someone gets pulled over, everyone around slows right down to rubber neck.
There are so many reasons (like this) why we can't have unlimited speed limits like the Autobahn. People are just such shit drivers here in North America. The fix would be in start making it much more difficult to get a licence and much easier to lose it.
Appreciate 2
      05-12-2020, 09:55 AM   #52
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
There are so many reasons (like this) why we can't have unlimited speed limits like the Autobahn. People are just such shit drivers here in North America. The fix would be in start making it much more difficult to get a licence and much easier to lose it.
True. Or teach one rule. GET OVER. Left lane passing only.

For your plan to work there would have to be a very good public transportation system pretty much everywhere so the poor drivers who don't cut it can still make it to work.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 10:10 AM   #53
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I agree, I'd rather see some sort of enforcement of left lane cruisers. It's probably the number one source of my road rage.

Similarly, how transports should have to move over to the right lane instead of jamming up the middle lane (but never do). This would prevent a lot of passing on the right. At least they know not to ever go into the left.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
pokerface428.00
      05-12-2020, 11:38 AM   #54
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
I got my driver's license in Michigan. Just over Ambasador Bridge from Canada. And there I had to worry and look out for Smokey while pulling 165mph runs outside the tracks.

Then I come here, and literally trade my license for a German one with no additional hasslle (and even before than for 6 months your US license is good) and woila! No more pesky speed limits! And guess what? It's FINE! No more crazy crashes here than anywhere else. The roads are nice, and people stay right except to pass. Otherwise you get a missile up your ass. Like it should be.

And if you do get caught, it's by a camera. 25 over is 30 Euro. No one will chase you down for doing 30 over.

That's why I call this country civilized. "Felony" and "Speeding" should not be used in a same sentence in any modern nation. And if they are, that nation (including US) is doing something majorly wrong. There is a better way. No one should go to jail because they drove.The end.
I grew up in Europe as a kid due to parents occupation and spent time in Germany as well. And full disclosure I know nothing about Canadian laws except the fact that drinking age is 19 and I spent my weekends in Vancouver, BC 19-21

Americans will NEVER go through what Germans and other EU countries go through to have roads like that. And heck, we lock everybody up then we talk about our freedom & etc.

Europe vs Merica...... Our EU friends can chime and as it has been a while since I followed their rules / laws.

1. Driving age is 18 pretty much anywhere in the rest of the world (you can start going to drivers-ed in US at the age of 15....)

2. Driving is still an option / luxury in Europe due to extremely well public transportation systems. In US it is pretty much required since most people live in the middle of no where.

3. In EU you go to a driving school (outside of your actual school) at least for a year before getting your license. Courses include, CPR, almost full mechanics training as well as detailed comprehension & understanding of a typical cars features. In US, you take a quarter of drivers ed while in highschool, you go take a test without ever going on the freeway and they hand you a license. Most Americans wouldn't know how to open their car's hood and call AAA when they get a flat tire. They get their car towed when they see a warning light indicating their washer fluid is low

4. Taxes / Fees / Tolls: I am not going to get into it but in the US we are just not willing to pay for good roads. In some states, cities, we are forced to pay tolls but nothing near what is going on across the pond. It takes tons of $$$ to maintain those autobahn so that cars can drive at speed. Meanwhile in the US, my car is declaring V1 (aviation term) after 80mph on a typical US freeway and your life is on God's hand if you hit triple digits. ...not bec of the laws but bec of the infrastructure. Our bridges and roads are falling apart (literally). Then of course if you do get caught you go to jail and get locked up with all the murders and rapist......but wait, if you have bunch of $$$, you still are a free person!

5. Driving on the left lane...... That just pisses me off, you guys all touched on it already! -Tons of clueless idiots!

Merica

Overall, consider yourself lucky that Germans are still allowing American's to turn in their licenses in exchange of theirs. Enjoy the lovely driving experience there

Having said all of that, if I were that kid who stole the AMG, I would be more worried about my dad killing me vs the law itself!
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      05-12-2020, 12:12 PM   #55
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for sharing you views and experiences TTG

Well said and I have to say I agree with pretty much all of your points. Good assessment on all of it. I do enjoy the freedoms here, and it's true, you get what you pay for. And most of all I enjoy proximity and ability to enjoy Nurburgring and Spa tracks. These places are fantastic and we don't have anything like them back home. Hoping this season can restart soon. I have lap time goals to meet.

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 12:30 PM   #56
PYE46M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3

reminds me of the 18 year old girl who crashed her dads 911 into a toll booth and died on the spot...

no excuses for this kind of behavior on public roads. kid and parents need to be taught a major lesson

Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      05-12-2020, 12:46 PM   #57
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYE46M3 View Post
reminds me of the 18 year old girl who crashed her dads 911 into a toll booth and died on the spot...

no excuses for this kind of behavior on public roads. kid and parents need to be taught a major lesson
That's called natural selection. Regardless of where you live. It will continue to happen no matter that. But the rest of us should be allowed to enjoy the driving experience.

BTW. When my daughter s 18, she will be able to drive a Porsche waaaaay better than that. Or any other vehicle for that matter. I'll make damn sure of it.

Appreciate 0