BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

02-05-2022, 06:34 PM   #23
07e92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

I have a Tesla model X for a couple of years now, Tesla’s supercharging network and range is unbeatable, that’s pretty much about it. I cross shopping EQS and Taycan, but coming from Tesla, I get so used to just get in the car, push the brake, put the car to drive and go, for others, you have to push the start/stop button in order to turn on the car before you can do anything else. Also, not having 1 pedal driving is the most difficult to switch. I in fact test drove EQS 580, a bit disappointed that not only does it not do 1 pedal driving, but also the way its brake pedal pushes itself down with re-gen is awkward. Am eying on iX now because it is the only few being produced and ready by 2022 that has 1 pedal driving capability.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 07:23 PM   #24
BMWpowered
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3E, 2023 EQE350

Compared with the E-Tron and Taycan. My wife could not get over the Audi camera lack of quality. Which I seriously do not understand, they use that camera on their Panamera Turbo S - only other Porsche model I drove. Boggles my mind, looks like a 480p crh tube.

Disregarding the camera, we liked the E-Tron S, even with the short range, it was pretty smooth and pretty good looking inmho. But overall package and features the iX won out for us.

Now only if I could find a dealer to take an order!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 06:26 PM   #25
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

For me, it's between the iX and a *completely* different car, a diesel Land Rover Defender. We currently have a pretty old Freelander 2 (LR2 in US) and it's getting to be too small for our needs. We did also have an X4 until a couple of years ago.

The biggest push for getting a bigger car is the rear seat space, both width and leg room as we're going to have two baby/toddler seats in soon with my wife often in the middle and the Freelander is just too cramped (I have to move my seat forward every time we rotate the car seat). We don't drive masses but when we do, it's usually about an hour of urban or motorway roads to family. Sometimes to the countryside but probably less so until the kids are older. We do like to drive to visit family in mainland Europe (we're in the UK) and we used to like to go skiing in Austria regularly. I'm just in really two minds.

They're both such different cars but have real benefits and weaknesses compared to each other. In the Defender, we'd have more than enough space for our growing family (1 toddler and another baby due in a month, two mid-sized dogs, my wife and me) and all of the accompanying junk and we could strap anything extra to the roof. It'd handle anything we throw at it, like driving in the snow in Europe in winter or muddy flooded lanes in the countryside here (very) occasionally. It's more rugged and easier to keep clean and deal with mucky kids and dogs. Much better ride height. It can do longer distances easier due to being diesel but it also feels kind of wrong buying a diesel right now (the PHEV wouldn't be practical at all for us unfortunately). The monthly payments are pretty high for the car value though too as you have to add a lot of options to get an appropriate spec, which are all paid for over the lease period and are ignored for the final balloon payment (with PCP financing).

For the BMW, it'd likely be much better for the shorter trips in particular - we'd likely make a lot of use of the lane keeping tech on the drives to our family, the self driving in traffic conditions would be great and the self parking looks interesting (if it works better than what BMW used to offer which couldn't deal with small spaces) and it's a fair bit quieter so that I can talk easier with my wife and kids in the back. It costs more in terms of monthly payments as I'd want both the extra range of the 50/60 and the air suspension to match the kind of super comfy and soft ride we have in the Freelander, which isn't available in the 40.

I just don't know. It's physical practicality versus technological practicality. I've not seen any other cars available in the UK that would beat either of these two cars in their respective areas.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 09:20 AM   #26
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07e92 View Post
I have a Tesla model X for a couple of years now, Tesla's supercharging network and range is unbeatable, that's pretty much about it. I cross shopping EQS and Taycan, but coming from Tesla, I get so used to just get in the car, push the brake, put the car to drive and go, for others, you have to push the start/stop button in order to turn on the car before you can do anything else. Also, not having 1 pedal driving is the most difficult to switch. I in fact test drove EQS 580, a bit disappointed that not only does it not do 1 pedal driving, but also the way its brake pedal pushes itself down with re-gen is awkward. Am eying on iX now because it is the only few being produced and ready by 2022 that has 1 pedal driving capability.
I think it's just what you get used to. My wife has a Volvo with one pedal and it's a bit annoying. It's very easy to turn off though.

I often wonder if I will miss the paddle shifters on the e-tron, I really like how they have mapped the regen to the shifters and it feels like engine braking. Coming from a car where I used the paddle shifters a lot this translated well and feels great.

I also love having a charging port on both sides of the car. These are the two things that make me second guess moving to a different EV.

Edit: make that three things, almost forgot about the fast consistent charging. More range is great but if you're only charging to 70% because it takes too damn long to top off it is sort of a wash compared to the e-tron that can charge all the way to 100% quickly.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 01:47 PM   #27
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e xdrive

Rivian R1T/S. Three years ago I submitted a reservation - really just for kicks at the time... but now, I may go through with it as my vehicle will be available for delivery in a few months. I am losing patience with dealer "market pricing".
Part of it, perhaps I am getting older, but I am not a $100k car guy...just seems like $85k should still buy a fella a decent car. As much as I like/want a Taycan, I just can't do the man math to justify the cost.
Rivian loaded will cost me $66k after incentives.
      02-11-2022, 08:56 AM   #28
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

My wife is driving a 2014 Cayenne Diesel now. We're going to replace it with either a Cayenne E-Hybrid, X5 45e, or an iX. She's not 100% sold on having an EV, primarily because I have a Model 3 and I don't think she wants to have an all EV fleet. Plus, we have used our current Cayenne for longer trips, which I'm not so sure is all that great with the state of DCFC today. We will, however, be keeping the Cayenne Diesel for our kids so it'll still be around. And perhaps I might swap the Model 3 out for an ICE car. Either one of the hybrids will work for her as her daily commute is less than 30 miles total.

The ETron S is also in the mix. We've considered a Q7/Q8 or S version of the same (I know, all over the map). And also, not sure what other EV SUV's might come out soon, but not holding out hope for much.

Really want to see it in the flesh and drive it too.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 04:24 AM   #29
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by patbrass View Post
I really love the iX. But, although I buy a car for me and not others, the very divisive design (especially the front) worries me a bit. It kind of sucks to pay $100+k and have half of your family and friends say behind your back that your new car is ugly...

So I'm a bit hesitant to pull the trigger and therefore I'm looking at other EV SUVs in the same price range.

I like the Rivian R1S but I doubt I could get one before end of 2023.

I'm very curious about the upcoming Audi Q6 but not much info yet and looking at how slowly they've been rolling out the Q4, it will take a long time to get one...probably end of 2023

One that I've been really curious is the Polestar 3. I test-drove a Polestar 2 and loved it.

What about you guys? Looking at any competitors too?
In my most humble of opinions the grill is fine against dark colours. Also remember that with each generation of BMW grill most run in horror but after a while nobody notices.

It’s a bit left field - I tested a Kia EV6 Sport Line S 4wd a few weeks ago and it was excellent…only downside for me was that the interior was ok but not up to BMW/Audi standards….but at just over £50k in the UK for a fully specified model it’s not a lot more than half the price of a similarly specced i4.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 08:28 AM   #30
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

The EQS 580 looks really nice on the inside and longer range. Cost is about the same, and it's more of a luxury feel. I know it's not an SUV but I am looking at that pretty hard. The seats look so much more comfortable in that vehicle then the IX.

Can anyone comment on the IX seats who has been in one? The fixed headrest looks so uncomfortable and they also have speakers and other items in the seats. I would not want to be stuck in uncomfortable seats paying 100k.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 09:12 AM   #31
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post
The EQS 580 looks really nice on the inside and longer range. Cost is about the same, and it's more of a luxury feel. I know it's not an SUV but I am looking at that pretty hard. The seats look so much more comfortable in that vehicle then the IX.

Can anyone comment on the IX seats who has been in one? The fixed headrest looks so uncomfortable and they also have speakers and other items in the seats. I would not want to be stuck in uncomfortable seats paying 100k.
I'm in the US and there are no iX's here yet (demos coming in few weeks) but I did sit an EQS 580 yesterday. It is a beautiful car but there are few negatives. The drivers seat is comfortable but the width between the door and center console is a bit cramped compared to the S 580. And the backseat headroom is also limited due to the roofline. My head and my friends head touched the headliner. The height of the rear seats looks to be an inch or so higher than the front seats. Leg room in the rear is very good. I was mostly turned off by the $50,000 premium that dealership is asking for a n EQS 580.
Appreciate 1
TechCTU766.00
      02-27-2022, 09:33 AM   #32
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
I'm in the US and there are no iX's here yet (demos coming in few weeks) but I did sit an EQS 580 yesterday. It is a beautiful car but there are few negatives. The drivers seat is comfortable but the width between the door and center console is a bit cramped compared to the S 580. And the backseat headroom is also limited due to the roofline. My head and my friends head touched the headliner. The height of the rear seats looks to be an inch or so higher than the front seats. Leg room in the rear is very good. I was mostly turned off by the $50,000 premium that dealership is asking for a n EQS 580.
Thanks for the info. How tall are you? My local MB dealer is not asking above MSRP. Agree, I would not want to spend above MSRP. I had to call around, I did find 3 dealers not charging above MSRP in the local area, but many were. In a 2 hour radius we have about 7 so lots to choose from.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 09:49 AM   #33
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Thanks for the info. How tall are you? My local MB dealer is not asking above MSRP. Agree, I would not want to spend above MSRP. I had to call around, I did find 3 dealers not charging above MSRP in the local area, but many were. In a 2 hour radius we have about 7 so lots to choose from.
If you can find an EQS with the Pinnacle Trim this allows for greater rear seat headroom as the seats can then recline similar to a regular S-Class.

Also try out both the regular and AMG-Line seats as they have different cushions and bolstering. I found that the AMG-Line seats provided overall more comfort.

MB is also planning to replace the EQS 450+ (RWD) with a 4Matic model towards the end of Spring which may eventually help with lowering markups as 4Matic will be of greater availability (EQS 580's are currently limited production due to supply constraints for Hyperscreen).
TechCTU766.00
      02-27-2022, 11:25 AM   #34
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
I'm 5' 10" and my friend is a little shorter, maybe 5' 9". I'm a large frame person so the interior space is very important to me while others may find the interior space of the EQS to be fine. This EQS 580 is Polar White with Macchiato Beige/Space Grey leather. It was attractive and has that great MB fit and finish.

https://www.mbusa.com/en/inventory/T...CG4EB3NA009485
Appreciate 1
Brwilli51.00
      02-27-2022, 09:59 PM   #35
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

Ioniq 5 and EV 6.

Drove the Ioniq 5 RWD last week, could not find an AWD to drive. I was really impressed with how it drives, even with the smaller RWD motor. Best EV I've driven. But...the interior is terrible, no idea what Hyundai was thinking. The exterior is also just OK.

EV 6 AWD tomorrow. Thing looks fantastic, much better design than the Hyundai. But I need to get in it and try it.

Both are shorter than the iX and really more of an X3 type competitor vs the X5 which the iX is targeting. But loaded they are around $57K.

Hope to drive an iX soon, coming to my dealer in the next week or so.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 06:05 PM   #36
Bird~Dawg
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 40e

My current car is a 2018 X5 40e PHEV so the obvious cross shop is the X5 45e. I also like the Jag I Pace but the range isn't great and the interior looks too old school compared to the IX. Not a fan of panel gaps but Tesla does have compelling technology - shame they don't just license the power train tech to someone that can build a better car. The Audi eTron is interesting and has some advantages over the IX, but loses on range. On paper, as a total package, the IX is the one, but I won't get to drive one for a couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 07:09 PM   #37
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird~Dawg View Post
My current car is a 2018 X5 40e PHEV so the obvious cross shop is the X5 45e. I also like the Jag I Pace but the range isn't great and the interior looks too old school compared to the IX. Not a fan of panel gaps but Tesla does have compelling technology - shame they don't just license the power train tech to someone that can build a better car. The Audi eTron is interesting and has some advantages over the IX, but loses on range. On paper, as a total package, the IX is the one, but I won't get to drive one for a couple of weeks.
Have a read of my comparison of the iX to my e-tron here: https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/s....php?t=1885640. e-tron would not be a good buy at the moment because there's a significant facelift coming this year that may even see it re-badged as the Q8 e-tron.
      03-02-2022, 07:26 PM   #38
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

LX600, here
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 08:22 PM   #39
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
LX600, here
Damn, that grille though And people complain about the iX lmao.
      03-02-2022, 08:27 PM   #40
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
Damn, that grille though And people complain about the iX lmao.
F Sport mandatory for that truck imo
Appreciate 0