Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

11-28-2021, 09:08 PM   #1
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Any reviews from i4M "OWNERS"?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Let me be honest, I never thought I'd ever say this, I'm stunned as to how different the acceleration of an EV is when compared to an ICE vehicle.

I had never, not even for a millisecond, contemplated buying an EV.

This past weekend, by happenstance, I drove the Volvo XC40 Pure Electric (having driven 3 other ICE SUVs from their range and having found them to be gutless).

It was the first time I had ever driven an EV (albeit reluctantly and at the behest of my son).

Simply amazing - 300kW for an otherwise similar car to a Toyota RAV4 with a 0-100km in 3.8s which is(on paper) better than my M2CS

I'm now, (can't believe I'm about to say this), seriously considering an EV for my next daily driver.

Just wanted to know if anyone here has taken delivery of their i4M and what is the general verdict. Do you love it, like it, or hate it?

Your feedback will be most appreciated.
      11-28-2021, 09:28 PM   #2
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Let me be honest, I never thought I'd ever say this, I'm stunned as to how different the acceleration of an EV is when compared to an ICE vehicle.

I had never, not even for a millisecond, contemplated buying an EV.

This past weekend, by happenstance, I drove the Volvo XC40 Pure Electric (having driven 3 other ICE SUVs from their range and having found them to be gutless).

It was the first time I had ever driven an EV (albeit reluctantly and at the behest of my son).

Simply amazing - 300kW for an otherwise similar car to a Toyota RAV4 with a 0-100km in 3.8s which is(on paper) better than my M2CS

I'm now, (can't believe I'm about to say this), seriously considering an EV for my next daily driver.

Just wanted to know if anyone here has taken delivery of their i4M and what is the general verdict. Do you love it, like it, or hate it?

Your feedback will be most appreciated.
Welcome to the club.

Most that actually drive an EV never want anything but an EV for a daily driver ever again afterwards.
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6516.00
      11-28-2021, 11:40 PM   #3
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
I don't think anyone has gotten delivery yet of their i4 m50s i know i was the first to get an order in after the release of it and still my dealer told me already back then don't expect deliveries until march 2022 for the Swedish market at least. But when i do i will be doing some in "depth" driving reviews both from daily standpoint but also on me and my wife regular trips that we usually do to our summer place witch is 217 miles away or around 350 km away so will be trying it out both during summers and winters to see how it holds up on the range side. If the numbers are to be believed a trip during winter with -10c outside or 14f at 100% i should be arriving to our destination point at 5% left on the charge during a proper cold winter. And that is when having speeds up to 140 km/h or 86 mp/h.

This will do be different depending on speeds, tires, weather and depending on how much driving is highway and how much is on so called "B-Roads"

But if someone has gotten their i4 m50 yet then i would be surprised if they dared to say anything yet considering deliveries haven't started officially yet.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2021, 12:47 AM   #4
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post
I don't think anyone has gotten delivery yet of their i4 m50s i know i was the first to get an order in after the release of it and still my dealer told me already back then don't expect deliveries until march 2022 for the Swedish market at least. But when i do i will be doing some in "depth" driving reviews both from daily standpoint but also on me and my wife regular trips that we usually do to our summer place witch is 217 miles away or around 350 km away so will be trying it out both during summers and winters to see how it holds up on the range side. If the numbers are to be believed a trip during winter with -10c outside or 14f at 100% i should be arriving to our destination point at 5% left on the charge during a proper cold winter. And that is when having speeds up to 140 km/h or 86 mp/h.

This will do be different depending on speeds, tires, weather and depending on how much driving is highway and how much is on so called "B-Roads"

But if someone has gotten their i4 m50 yet then i would be surprised if they dared to say anything yet considering deliveries haven't started officially yet.
Thank you for this

I didn't know none have been delivered yet.

Can I ask a dumb question, is there a break-in period considering there is no petrol engine in the car?
      11-29-2021, 12:53 AM   #5
4monks
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive MHT G20

Good to hear you enjoyed the XC40. Also worth trying are the Polestar 2 (same underpinnings as the volvo but IMHO a much nicer drive than the XC40 and also now has a 50kw OTA software upgrade). Of course the Tesla Model 3P - considerably faster than both. The Polestar was the nicest place to be in of the three for me. +s and -s for all. Try as many EVs as you can. Break-in? Nah..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 01:27 AM   #6
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Quote:
Thank you for this

Can I ask a dumb question, is there a break-in period considering there is no petrol engine in the car?
Well first it ain't a dumb question, but overall break-in period as in the traditional way with ICE cars shouldn't be a thing, but for example the first 100-200 miles i will be taking it "carefully" in a sense to see and feel how the cars behaves to get a feel for the suspension and such to let the car adapt to my specific driving style before i push it a bit harder. Then again this car is mostly an cruiser/dd for my part if you have a car like the M2 CS keep that one for a very long time it will be an unique car for a long time and enjoy the carp out of it like crazy because the M2 is a brilliant car one of the best driver cars out there for this generation.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2021, 01:32 AM   #7
Hansn
Private
Rep
Drives: E28 528i 1982 - G30 530e 2018

The demo cars should start showing up at dealers within like 2 weeks. My dealer said their cars is already ready at the port, just waiting for BMW to release them for testing. When iX was released a few weeks ago they sent out the invites one week before the event started. Im checking every day.. 😁

This is EU but i think they had enough time to ship them over. Do you have iX at the dealers in US/Canada now?
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2021, 02:42 AM   #8
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for this

Well first it ain't a dumb question, but overall break-in period as in the traditional way with ICE cars shouldn't be a thing, but for example the first 100-200 miles i will be taking it "carefully" in a sense to see and feel how the cars behaves to get a feel for the suspension and such to let the car adapt to my specific driving style before i push it a bit harder. Then again this car is mostly an cruiser/dd for my part if you have a car like the M2 CS keep that one for a very long time it will be an unique car for a long time and enjoy the carp out of it like crazy because the M2 is a brilliant car one of the best driver cars out there for this generation.
Thank you, I appreciate your kind reply.

I couldn't agree with you more regarding the M2 CS. I posted a short commentary for my M2 CS, Merlin, in reply to someone who was interested in my view from another thread. I'll post a link below.

As for the i4 M50, I'm thinking of getting one as a DD as you've intimated. I don't drive Merlin much but on special occasions.

On another front, only half an hour ago, I received a phone call I've been awaiting for several months from my dealer - Apparently, Australia will receive between 20 and 25 G82 M4 CSLs and all dealers are now to provide "firm signed contracts" (with no price or delivery date yet), accompanied with substantial deposits with timestamps by end of this week.

Based on the demand, BMW Australia will decide if it will be 20 or 25 coming to our shores (although, if the demand is high, there's nothing to stop them sending 100 really).

When the M5 CS was released, we got 20 allocations in Australia. It seems reasonable to imagine the total number of M4CSLs may be similar to those of the M5CS.

Anyway, contract was signed and sent posthaste with a big grin on the face and all fingers and toes crossed

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=28301977
Nahlem1144.00
      11-29-2021, 03:35 AM   #9
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for this

I was thinking on this also. There will be a break in period for any item.
The mechanical systems will run in even though tolerances will be high. So, standard run in for moving parts. However, I would have thought that items such as the brakes may take longer than ICE cars. When driven gently to run in an EV, especially an AWD one may not use much friction braking. So, the run in period for the brakes may only really start after the drive train run in period…
Also, electrical systems will run in. Or, at least adapt to the driver. So, there may be a period of learning for both the driver and vehicle.
With my present BMW I remember resetting the adaption after the run in period when I started to drive it in my normal style. From memory it was a sequence of ignition switching and holding the accelerator peddle down for a period with it off. For me, it made the auto box and throttle response feel sharper after being gently driven for 1000 miles.
Nahlem1144.00
      11-29-2021, 09:46 AM   #10
chadkoepf
Private
Rep
Drives: tesla 3

When I got in my tesla model 3, I seriously thought they accidentally gave me a performance model. it was so quick. To me, even better than leaving from 0, it's when in traffic when you wanna pass someone, there is no need to downshift, you have the instant torque to just fly around people. I considered upgrading (tesla offers the ability to shave a half second off your 0-60 for $2000) and another company will "hack" the tesla into being a performance model (shaving a whole second off 0-60) for $2000.

decided against all that and to just get a new car, because while its a ton of fun to drive in a straight line, everything else about the tesla experience has been trash in my opinion. looking forward to having that instant torque paired with a car that actually cares about quality.

Last edited by chadkoepf; 11-29-2021 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2021, 02:07 PM   #11
Tim Callahan
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 quattro, E90 325iX

Here in Finland car taxation makes prices for high performance EVs extremely attractive compared to ICEs.

The reason is our car taxation based on emissions.
- i4 M50 costs 67.000€ (car tax 0€)
- 440i Gran Coupe costs 87.000€ (car tax 22.000€)
- M3 Comp xdrive costs 142.000€ (car tax 48.000€)

i4 M50 is coming my way hopefully in mid March (ordered in June), crazy bargain with our taxation. Could buy two i4 M50s and one basic VW Golf with the price of M3.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2021, 03:21 PM   #12
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
My first encounter as a P100D Ludicrous model years ago, heavy car but felt friskier by 1000lbs in spirited driving (not 10/10ths obviously). It taught me the value of having a low center of gravity and basically having very little drivetrain components stick out beyond the axles can offset some of the weight disadvantages but to a certain point.

Oh, and the instant acceleration was icing.
Appreciate 1