BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

04-14-2020, 11:17 AM   #1
krokodil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw i8

i8 negotiating a deal with dealer -not!

saw an i8 i would be very interested in purchasing so rang the dealer - here in uk BMW Sandal Huddersfield.

Given the current lockdown situation and not being able to go see the car etc - same for everyone, I thought dealers would be keen to create an interest that leads to a sale.

This dealer stuck to his guns - " the cars are priced competitively and the price shown online is the price you pay, we dont negotiate - not even on an extended warranty, Nothing. "

On one hand I guess this helps to maintain used car prices, but if this lockdown continues, the car could easily be 2-3 months older, it will be the same price he said and they wont extend the warranty to compensate.
I sense a bit of meanness here.
It almost felt like he really didnt want to encourage a sale!.

If i was in business, Id be doing all I could to encourage the customer and make him feel positive that there will be something we can do to sweeten the deal. Im not looking for a miracle.

What do other folks think about this?.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 11:39 AM   #2
re66ell
Rep
Drives: I8

Keep looking their loss your gain
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2020, 11:59 AM   #3
Kev.k
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: VW Amarok Highline

Poker face. He will regret that once lockdown is over and they have targets to meet again.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eath-toll.html

Prices are going to crash in the next 2 months imo.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2020, 02:49 PM   #4
krokodil
Enlisted Member
Rep

kind of what i was thinking - surely a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush kinda thing - even if the bird in the hand is a little smaller than what he is used to!.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 03:50 PM   #5
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by krokodil View Post
kind of what i was thinking - surely a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush kinda thing - even if the bird in the hand is a little smaller than what he is used to!.
Have you had a look on the car gurus website to see if the car is on there? If so you'll be able to see how long theyve had the car on sale for and its pricing history. Worth a look and then you can see whats happened in the last two months and what might happen in the next two. Ain't many buyers out there right now....
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2020, 03:53 PM   #6
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

looks like BMW removed most of the i8 incentives.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 04:07 PM   #7
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5506m View Post
looks like BMW removed most of the i8 incentives.
My sales guy told me that it is more expensive now then it was a few months ago to lease an i8!

Consistent, I guess, if the incentives are no longer in place.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 08:19 AM   #8
Birdland
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: i8 Roadster Doninton Grey

Same here, price went up by 15% April 1st.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 12:19 AM   #9
ferrarifast
Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 Comp xDrive Coupe

Didn't the money factor drop to level off the incentive cut? My understanding was that the programs were more or less the same
Life is too short to list the non Ms
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 02:36 PM   #10
rteichman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

I don't know about the UK, but in the US its a buyer's market. Dealers and sellers are tripping over themselves offering incentives and lowering prices. The i8 is not a high volume seller so it will sit on their lot for a while. Patience will likely get you a great deal on one. Maybe not that dealer, but somewhere else. Even that dealer will want to start generating cash at some point and will have to "break their rules"
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 11:05 AM   #11
krokodil
Enlisted Member
Rep

buying a roadster i8 even at the moment from a dealer - theres no " bargains" in uk at least - Im looking to buy.

Taking into account the corona virus situation,
Mostly Im finding that the dealers are sticking to their asking prices knowing that summer is here and thats when all convertibles are more in demand - not sure the same is true of the coupe version.

Nobody can buy a car at the moment unless buying without seeing it.

Im interested in 3 cars at the moment and 2 dealers have said that the max they will knock off the sticker price is £500 and the 3rd dealer wont budge at all.

these are for
2018 Roadster, 5k miles and stickered at £65k
2019 Roadster 150 miles stickered at £78,500
2019 Roadster 2400 miles stickered at £77k

the car at £77k has the laser headlights and while they are a nice talking point - owning a car with them seems like a future liability when they blow out and a new lamp is in the region of £5k per lamp!. Am not sure that the manufacturers warranty covers the lamp blowing as bulbs are an expendable consumeable item.

theres very little - no "give" in these asking prices so far - i would have thought the dealers would have been happy to negotiate to secure the sale once the travel restrictions are lifted.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 11:07 AM   #12
krokodil
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteichman View Post
I don't know about the UK, but in the US its a buyer's market. Dealers and sellers are tripping over themselves offering incentives and lowering prices. The i8 is not a high volume seller so it will sit on their lot for a while. Patience will likely get you a great deal on one. Maybe not that dealer, but somewhere else. Even that dealer will want to start generating cash at some point and will have to "break their rules"

I wish the dealers here in UK treated us buyers as a buyers market situation - one dealer i spoke with more or less told me to " go away and not ask such silly questions as price being negotiable! "
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 11:56 AM   #13
chris_1M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

And he rightfully did!
There is no written rule he has to play your buyers market / let's negotiate game.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 02:31 PM   #14
Birdland
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: i8 Roadster Doninton Grey

It’s not buyers nor sellers market for the time being, there is no market! The BMW dealers are not only facing a lack of customers but at the same time a shortage of new cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 03:27 PM   #15
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdland View Post
It’s not buyers nor sellers market for the time being, there is no market! The BMW dealers are not only facing a lack of customers but at the same time a shortage of new cars.
I dont know whats happening in Norway, but the dealers are all effectively closed in the UK. They are all going to be desperate to shift stock just to generate cash when they are allowed to trade properly again and people are not going to want to go buying expensive cars when they are in fear for their jobs. I am staggered that they arent looking to do some great deals now, that cash will be so much more desperate in two months time...
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2020, 06:08 PM   #16
Kbull
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

when I bought mine ( last year ) in Germany , the dealer didn't wanted to negotiate at all. so ...
in Italy they put the price up 10 % and when you purchase , they cut 10% from it so you think you are a good trader and you know your shit . but you just fool yourself )
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 12:34 AM   #17
bernsman
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 Porsche Macan

Has anyone’s experienced any change in this? I’m looking at a 2019 coupe listed for £65k. I’m not getting any play from the sales agent.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 11:49 AM   #18
re66ell
Rep
Drives: I8

I’m also finding this and cheeky dealer is now also quoting me 9.9apr on a pcp with ‘thats the best we can do’ should I wish to go down that route.

Have to say they are in denial, as I popped into my local BMW dealer and it was like a ghost town in there.

Last edited by re66ell; 06-19-2020 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 01:51 PM   #19
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Keep waiting...
Appreciate 0