EJCi8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, Crystal White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
You can put the VIN in the Cargo ID search

https://www.2wglobal.com/webapps?url...uickSearchPage

Mine showed up there a couple days before the dealer info updated.
Good to know! I tried but no luck yet; but then I spent 30 minutes on the website video about there ships..pretty cool!....Im losing it with the waiting process
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 11:51 AM   #156
AndyDubbya
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, Boxster

Garage List
2012 McLaren 12C  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
2010 911 997.2 GT3  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
2008 Audi R8 V8  [0.00]
2005 BMW M6  [0.00]
2003 BMW M3 E46  [0.00]
Here's mine, now almost a week old, with its two garage mates:

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 04:54 PM   #157
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Andy, we have 3 almost identical cars then. I have a Lotus (Exige), i3, and soon my i8

btw, my i8 is now in the UK but not at my BMWi dealer yet
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 07:33 PM   #158
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Talking

I just connected to my new car, which I have not seen yet and am collecting in 8 days, using my iPhone.

The car reported to me that all was well with it, except that a window had been left open. It reported that it had been driven 6 miles, and VERY gently indeed - extremely so in fact, and all 6 miles in electric mode, even though it had a full tank of petrol.

I know it is indoors as it reports it is presently connected to power. The tracker is inactive at present though.

I did email the dealer now to ask about the window though. They will be shocked, as it is their first customer i8 delivery and probably don't expect me to be in touch with my car.

I wish I could send the car an instruction remotely to set it to drive here to me

Now I can't wait to get it!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #159
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
I just connected to my new car, which I have not seen yet and am collecting in 8 days, using my iPhone.

The car reported to me that all was well with it, except that a window had been left open. It reported that it had been driven 6 miles, and VERY gently indeed - extremely so in fact, and all 6 miles in electric mode, even though it had a full tank of petrol.

I know it is indoors as it reports it is presently connected to power. The tracker is inactive at present though.

I did email the dealer now to ask about the window though. They will be shocked, as it is their first customer i8 delivery and probably don't expect me to be in touch with my car.

I wish I could send the car an instruction remotely to set it to drive here to me

Now I can't wait to get it!
But did it tell you how it is FEELING?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 11:47 AM   #160
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epirali View Post
But did it tell you how it is FEELING?

She said she was missing me, and couldn't wait to get home
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 05:25 PM   #161
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Angry Grrrr.....BMW dealers....never fail to let you down

When I ordered my i8, I wrote and explained that they were not to fix numberplates, or drill holes in the car.

I repeated this at least 5 times over the months.

The salesperson wrote it on the workshop notes in BIG letters in RED ink and underlined it in RED and highlighted it in YELLOW.

So, yes, you can guess it. I got a call from the dealer that they had drilled holes for plates front and rear

I have insisted on the dealer obtaining new original pre-painted factory panels from BMW Germany and replacing my drilled ones, which they will be doing.

Why are BMW dealers so poor Truly the worst of any marque I have dealt with.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 05:27 PM   #162
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When I ordered my i8, I wrote and explained that they were not to fix numberplates, or drill holes in the car.

The salesperson wrote it on the workshop notes in BIG letters in RED ink and underlined it in RED and highlighted it in YELLOW.

So, yes, you can guess it. I got a call from the dealer that they had drilled holes for plates front and rear

I have insisted on the dealer obtaining new original pre-painted factory panels from BMW Germany and replacing my drilled ones, which they will be doing.

OUCH! I am SO SORRY. I have to say this is really a scream at people moment...

I get pissed off if they put tire dressing on the tires, much less ANYTHING like this.

Have you at least gotten the car yet?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 05:46 PM   #163
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:

First thing I had my guy do rolling it off the truck was reaching into the cargo area and removing the front bracket. It stayed in his desk until I arrived the following week.

Sorry to hear about that.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 12:47 AM   #164
AndyDubbya
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2012 McLaren 12C  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
2008 Audi R8 V8  [0.00]
2005 BMW M6  [0.00]
2003 BMW M3 E46  [0.00]
Quote:

How annoying. How are you going to fix your plates though?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 03:53 PM   #165
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the sympathy guys

Epirali, I collect my i8 on Saturday.

Andy, I intend to use adhesive tape/pads. Same as I use on my Ferrari. No drilling.

The only sports car I ever drilled into was my old Lotus, which after I added a supercharger used to get so hot that it melted the adhesive and I found my rear plate on the track at Brands Hatch years ago. After that I bolted the rear plate on that car
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 04:03 PM   #166
AndyDubbya
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2012 McLaren 12C  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
2008 Audi R8 V8  [0.00]
2005 BMW M6  [0.00]
2003 BMW M3 E46  [0.00]
Good luck for Saturday! Post up some pics please.

Why don't you like drilling? It's not like it's going to cause rust
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 04:23 PM   #167
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the sympathy guys

Epirali, I collect my i8 on Saturday.

Andy, I intend to use adhesive tape/pads. Same as I use on my Ferrari. No drilling.

The only sports car I ever drilled into was my old Lotus, which after I added a supercharger used to get so hot that it melted the adhesive and I found my rear plate on the track at Brands Hatch years ago. After that I bolted the rear plate on that car
Doesn't the adhesive itself cause damage? Have you looked at the ones that connect to the tow hooks and do no damage? Although I don't think I am crazy about the aerodynamics of that solution....

Looks like you will have pretty ok weather for a long weekend of driving around....
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 04:38 PM   #168
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDubbya View Post
Good luck for Saturday! Post up some pics please.

Why don't you like drilling? It's not like it's going to cause rust
Thanks

Drilling removes the option of removing the plate, especially at the front. For example I want to photograph it without a plate.

Probably just me being odd
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2015, 04:40 PM   #169
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Doesn't the adhesive itself cause damage? Have you looked at the ones that connect to the tow hooks and do no damage? Although I don't think I am crazy about the aerodynamics of that solution....

Looks like you will have pretty ok weather for a long weekend of driving around....
I've not considered, nor seen a tow hook plate. The adhesive causes no damage though. I've swapped plates on my Ferrari at times, and it leaves no residue after I use some white spirit. It is designed for cars.

Fingers crossed for the weather. I've booked 2 weeks off work
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 07:20 AM   #170
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This is a version for the U.S. plates just as a reference.

http://www.rhoplate.com
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 05:33 PM   #171
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Epirali. Will look into a UK version in due course.

For now, am just excited to go tomorrow morning and collect my i8

It really does feel like being a kid on xmas eve
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 05:51 PM   #172
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Epirali. Will look into a UK version in due course.

For now, am just excited to go tomorrow morning and collect my i8

It really does feel like being a kid on xmas eve
Well, I agree, except with 4 more zeros at the end....

Have lots of fun, remember BREAK IN PERIOD...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 04:26 PM   #173
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Talking First few days of i8 ownership

I picked up my i8 on Saturday morning, and have been in it rather a lot

I LOVE the car

I've been generally driving it gently, with 80mpg the first day as a result. 35mpg today though, with a mixture of modes including Sport. I'm trying to get used to the car, and also run it in. I've not used full throttle or high rpm as a result.

There have been some interesting reactions to the car. So far the only negative experiences have been with BMW drivers

DAY 1:

A BMW attempts a hard undertake as soon as we exit a roundabout onto a dual lane road in a residential zone

A BMW (big 4WD) chases to catch up the car, sits close on the bumper, phone in hand taking pictures

Positive reactions from pedestrians.

DAY 2:

Passenger in small car literally hanging out of window, with head and shoulder out, to take pictures as his car overtook me at speed on a dual carriageway

Lots of other drivers taking pictures

At least 10 pedestrians in a group all froze, pointing at the i8. Lots of other positive reactions from pedestrians too.

DAY 3:

I stopped outside a pub and a couple of guys pulled up alongside in a van, beckoning me to wind my window down. They made lots of positive comments about the i8, whilst insisting it was not a production car but some concept car. Best comment yet I tried to explain it was indeed a production car. They said they had never seen one, and remained unconvinced. I think they suspected they had spied a concept car being tested

Drove to Bluebell Hill with my kids. Car drew a crowd, with lots of (only) positive comments. What was to be a 5 minute stop took me 30 minutes as a result. Various people chatted about the car, including a very nice & i8-knowledgeable guy who stated I was "his new best friend"

An entire pub garden full of diners at tables stopped eating and stared at the i8

The most amusing thing today was my "new" neighbour across the street (in cul-de-sac). He moved in about 2-3 months ago and has never once spoken to me, or even looked at me. Nor has he spoken to anyone else in our street. Today he came over to talk about the car, asking lots of questions about it, and chatting generally about things, and introducing himself. Turns out to be a nice guy

Overall, no doubt because it is such an unusual rare new car, it has caused more attention than even my Ferrari or Lotus - and the Lotus really does stand out a LOT. Not a single negative comment from anyone though, but then I've never had one in my Ferrari or Lotus either.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 04:34 PM   #174
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I picked up my i8 on Saturday morning, and have been in it rather a lot

I LOVE the car

I've been generally driving it gently, with 80mpg the first day as a result. 35mpg today though, with a mixture of modes including Sport. I'm trying to get used to the car, and also run it in. I've not used full throttle or high rpm as a result.

There have been some interesting reactions to the car. So far the only negative experiences have been with BMW drivers

DAY 1:

A BMW attempts a hard undertake as soon as we exit a roundabout onto a dual lane road in a residential zone

A BMW (big 4WD) chases to catch up the car, sits close on the bumper, phone in hand taking pictures

Positive reactions from pedestrians.

DAY 2:

Passenger in small car literally hanging out of window, with head and shoulder out, to take pictures as his car overtook me at speed on a dual carriageway

Lots of other drivers taking pictures

At least 10 pedestrians in a group all froze, pointing at the i8. Lots of other positive reactions from pedestrians too.

DAY 3:

I stopped outside a pub and a couple of guys pulled up alongside in a van, beckoning me to wind my window down. They made lots of positive comments about the i8, whilst insisting it was not a production car but some concept car. Best comment yet I tried to explain it was indeed a production car. They said they had never seen one, and remained unconvinced. I think they suspected they had spied a concept car being tested

Drove to Bluebell Hill with my kids. Car drew a crowd, with lots of (only) positive comments. What was to be a 5 minute stop took me 30 minutes as a result. Various people chatted about the car, including a very nice & i8-knowledgeable guy who stated I was "his new best friend"

An entire pub garden full of diners at tables stopped eating and stared at the i8

The most amusing thing today was my "new" neighbour across the street (in cul-de-sac). He moved in about 2-3 months ago and has never once spoken to me, or even looked at me. Nor has he spoken to anyone else in our street. Today he came over to talk about the car, asking lots of questions about it, and chatting generally about things, and introducing himself. Turns out to be a nice guy
Sounds like a fun weekend overall. The thing I've noticed (in line with your observations) to add:

- People hang EXACTLY IN THE BLIND SPOT to take "pictures." ARG!!!!!!

- Almost every BMW M owner I have come across reacts one way or another, with very few smiling and giving thumbs up and quite a few trying to show their "M"uscle....

Have you had a chance to try some complex handling tests? It keeps shifting what it does around a hard turn, specially with acceleration, so its an interesting sensation. Haven't managed to push the car past my physical limit (I tend to be in too much pain to keep going faster) so far anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 04:59 PM   #175
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
- Almost every BMW M owner I have come across reacts one way or another..... quite a few trying to show their "M"uscle....
Yes, that first BMW was an M3. Pathetic really

In fact it mirrors all negative comments on this forum in this section. I'm fairly all have been from M car owners. Massive chip on a few shoulders I reckon

Quote:

Have you had a chance to try some complex handling tests? It keeps shifting what it does around a hard turn, specially with acceleration, so its an interesting sensation. Haven't managed to push the car past my physical limit (I tend to be in too much pain to keep going faster) so far anyway.
Only on the dealer demo car I drive back in August 2014. I recall finding it extremely nimble and composed when pushed hard around a series of twisty roads, in Sport mode. Extremely light, precise and enjoyable in fact.

So far with mine I've been through bends and big sweeping roundabout bends at speed, with moderate throttle in Sport. Again, it felt very surefooted and composed, but I was nowhere near its limits.

I have taken 2 weeks holiday, so will get a lot more time in it soon enough
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 05:19 PM   #176
Big Fred
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i and i8

I took delivery today. Went with my daughter and her friend as they were dropping me off at the dealership (70 miles away) prior to going on to college (another 10 miles). They wanted to pose with the car, of course. I'm really curious about the best way to photograph a person(s) with the car and have not yet landed on a shot I really like. I'll try and attach two samples but would love to see if anyone has found a better pose.

Name:  IMG_4528.JPG
Views: 684
Size:  702.9 KB

Name:  IMG_4532.JPG
Views: 636
Size:  614.6 KB

Sorry about the orientation of the pics. I suck at this, obviously.
Appreciate 0