04-13-2016, 04:22 PM   #177
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 amg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
That is the official drink of black baptism.

I'm actually surprised your weed guy isn't white, since I have run into a significant number of white ones as opposed to black.
Same here. Ironically my crack guy is white...

2008 dct coupe, evolve engine/dct tune, ttp, ms intake, megan exhaust, cf ds. Sold.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2016, 04:44 PM   #178
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 amg

Quote:
I ask because personally, when someone calls me gook, chink, nip, etc. i really couldn't care less..
What's up gook? Kinda nippy out today. .

2008 dct coupe, evolve engine/dct tune, ttp, ms intake, megan exhaust, cf ds. Sold.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 04:55 PM   #179
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22
Okay serious question. I have never been brave enough to ask. But since you said "anything," here goes...

Do you get offended when people use the n word? Or why do so many black people get offended when being called that? It's a serious question that I would like to know. I wonder if it's just something we grew up with and it just stuck with us.

I ask because personally, when someone calls me gook, chink, nip, etc. i really couldn't care less. Not that anyone does but in the past, I have never been offended since I did not grow up during that era. Since I can't relate to it I wasn't offended.
When I was younger and fresh off the street before I started my career, I never really had the opportunity to interact with people outside of the black or Hispanic demographic, so if I heard someone use any word in a derogatory way that was outside of those cultures, I would have taken serious offense.

When I started to be exposed to a variety of people of cultural, spiritual and ethnic backgrounds, I realized that the use of derogatory terms and a temp of endearment is more of a geographical phenomenon.

For example, growing up in Brooklyn and Queens, there were not many white people in my neighborhoods, so friends and family would use seemingly derogatory words as a term of endearment... like "that's my ni&&a" or "what up, ni&&a". Don't get me wrong, it could still be used in a derogatory manner within a cultural group, like "fuk that ni&&a". Hearing someone outside of this geographical and cultural group use terms like those would be considered extremely racist, probably most likely due to the rarity of interaction between the two groups.

Now on the other hand, there are MANY cities and towns that can fall into the "ghetto" or "hood" throughout the US that have a mixture between white and black people and the people within those communities can use those terms without discrimination because it is acceptable within that specific community.

Ultimately, I believe it boils down to our individual levels of tolerance, and the younger we are, the less we are willing to tolerate because of inexperience and lack of understanding. So I wouldn't get offended if I hear those words at this age because, I just don't care... unless of course it's being used in a manner to degrade me as an individual specifically...

then, dems fightin words as far as I'm concerned, lol.

See, typical ni&&a.
      04-13-2016, 05:13 PM   #180
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
When I was younger and fresh off the street before I started my career, I never really had the opportunity to interact with people outside of the black or Hispanic demographic, so if I heard someone use any word in a derogatory way that was outside of those cultures, I would have taken serious offense.

When I started to be exposed to a variety of people of cultural, spiritual and ethnic backgrounds, I realized that the use of derogatory terms and a temp of endearment is more of a geographical phenomenon.

For example, growing up in Brooklyn and Queens, there were not many white people in my neighborhoods, so friends and family would use seemingly derogatory words as a term of endearment... like "that's my ni&&a" or "what up, ni&&a". Don't get me wrong, it could still be used in a derogatory manner within a cultural group, like "fuk that ni&&a". Hearing someone outside of this geographical and cultural group use terms like those would be considered extremely racist, probably most likely due to the rarity of interaction between the two groups.

Now on the other hand, there are MANY cities and towns that can fall into the "ghetto" or "hood" throughout the US that have a mixture between white and black people and the people within those communities can use those terms without discrimination because it is acceptable within that specific community.

Ultimately, I believe it boils down to our individual levels of tolerance, and the younger we are, the less we are willing to tolerate because of inexperience and lack of understanding. So I wouldn't get offended if I hear those words at this age because, I just don't care... unless of course it's being used in a manner to degrade me as an individual specifically...

See, typical ni&&a.
Yeah, agreed. I think nowadays it's less "serious."
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #181
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post

See, typical ni&&a.
Yeah, agreed. I think nowadays it's less "serious."
Exactly. it all depends on the context in which it's used.

Used as a term of endearment, it's all good.

Used in a derogatory manner, it's going down.

Both interchangeable, regardless of the ethnicity of the user.
      04-13-2016, 06:29 PM   #182
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Okay serious question. I have never been brave enough to ask. But since you said "anything," here goes...

Do you get offended when people use the n word? Or why do so many black people get offended when being called that? It's a serious question that I would like to know. I wonder if it's just something we grew up with and it just stuck with us.

I ask because personally, when someone calls me gook, chink, nip, etc. i really couldn't care less. Not that anyone does but in the past, I have never been offended since I did not grow up during that era. Since I can't relate to it I wasn't offended.
Great question. I was wondering if someone was going to ask. I will piggyback off of Samurai of 2day with my own experience.

In one of my earlier posts, I pointed out that I grew up in a black/Hispanic neighborhood, as well. Hispanics used it regularly, and some of my black friends actually said they preferred when Spanish folks said it than anyone else. I've encountered Asians who've used it, and ONE white kid back in 4th grade. His name was Brian. Will never forget that guy.

For me, I've never taken offense to that term because it is not representative of who I am. My best friends are from the Dominican Republic and Middle East, and they use it with me all the time. They're like family to me, but even if they weren't and used it to refer to one another, that's also fine. Times indeed have changed, as it has been pointed out, and that term seems to have evolved to be exclusively reserved for blacks and uses for terms of endearment.

I think it's more so the stigma and history surrounding the word than anything else. I go to a barbershop where it's only black folk (older gentlemen) and they call each other that regularly. They also forget a lot of shit because they're old.

All in all, the brotha above me is right on. It's all subjective with regard to level of tolerance, and the social circumstances surrounding the word have eclipsed the true meaning of the word itself.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 2
      04-13-2016, 06:32 PM   #183
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage
Quote:

Great question. I was wondering if someone was going to ask. I will piggyback off of Samurai of 2day with my own experience.

In one of my earlier posts, I pointed out that I grew up in a black/Hispanic neighborhood, as well. Hispanics used it regularly, and some of my black friends actually said they preferred when Spanish folks said it than anyone else. I've encountered Asians who've used it, and ONE white kid back in 4th grade. His name was Brian. Will never forget that guy.

For me, I've never taken offense to that term because it is not representative of who I am. My best friends are from the Dominican Republic and Middle East, and they use it with me all the time. They're like family to me, but even if they weren't and used it to refer to one another, that's also fine. Times indeed have changed, as it has been pointed out, and that term seems to have evolved to be exclusively reserved for blacks and uses for terms of endearment.

I think it's more so the stigma and history surrounding the word than anything else. I go to a barbershop where it's only black folk (older gentlemen) and they call each other that regularly. They also forget a lot of shit because they're old.

All in all, the brotha above me is right on. It's all subjective with regard to level of tolerance, and the social circumstances surrounding the word have eclipsed the true meaning of the word itself.
Yea....I'm just gonna put my provisional Black card in my pocket for a minute and call BS on this section of the conversation....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2016, 06:34 PM   #184
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Lol why? Not all black people are built the same and flip out at use of the "n" word. It's not 1935.

If anything, that lends itself to how people perceive black folks, and it sends a message in itself.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 07:40 PM   #185
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
Lol why? Not all black people are built the same and flip out at use of the "n" word. It's not 1935.

If anything, that lends itself to how people perceive black folks, and it sends a message in itself.
Ok - I'll clarify my comment...and provide you with a little perspective.

I grew up in the deepest, darkest, Redneck South. Growing up - I had limited exposure to people of color until I was about 8 years old. Suddenly - I move to the opposite of my childhood. Suddenly, I became a minority in the community and school when I moved to the Eastern (and still rural) part of NC. Literally - one of 5 white children in a school of 400 students.

Fast forward many years later - I am yet again a minority due to the place I live and work (Eastern Band of Cherokee Indian). Even though I held a position of authority - it was incredibly difficult to function in authority simply due to my perceived lack of understanding of their culture.

I have experienced some of what it is like to be a minority in my life. It's one thing to be 'redneck'...it's worse when you are 'poor' and 'redneck'...It is entirely another level to be poor, redneck, and the only white kid in the school...

I am not PC (Not even remotely close to PC); however I am sensitive to perceptions and ethnic boundaries with respect to slang and the use of these terms. Couple this with being from the South, where so much racial hate began and continues to survive. Even when racial slang is used as terms of affection - the realistic perception of me using this term is far different than someone who identifies with that ethnicity using that same term...

Now - I'm gonna pull my ghetto pass back out and resume our regularly scheduled program
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 2
      04-13-2016, 07:48 PM   #186
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

For me, I've had a few Black friends in my lifetime. Most you might call "Carlton", probably given where I grew up, where I went to school, social circles, profession, etc.

From several of these friends, I've heard of the term, "Talented Ten" (top 10% of Blacks) One trait I noticed is that most of these guys refrain from using the N word. And amongst friends use the term "negro" in either a joking or derogatory manner.

So back to "Talented Ten"... Is this a real term and is it widely used?
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2016, 07:56 PM   #187
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
Yea....I'm just gonna put my provisional Black card in my pocket for a minute and call BS on this section of the conversation....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post

I grew up in the deepest, darkest, Redneck South. Growing up - I had limited exposure to people of color until I was about 8 years old. Suddenly - I move to the opposite of my childhood. Suddenly, I became a minority in the community and school when I moved to the Eastern (and still rural) part of NC. Literally - one of 5 white children in a school of 400 students.

Fast forward many years later - I am yet again a minority due to the place I live and work (Eastern Band of Cherokee Indian). Even though I held a position of authority - it was incredibly difficult to function in authority simply due to my perceived lack of understanding of their culture.

I have experienced some of what it is like to be a minority in my life. It's one thing to be 'redneck'...it's worse when you are 'poor' and 'redneck'...It is entirely another level to be poor, redneck, and the only white kid in the school...

I am not PC (Not even remotely close to PC); however I am sensitive to perceptions and ethnic boundaries with respect to slang and the use of these terms. Couple this with being from the South, where so much racial hate began and continues to survive. Even when racial slang is used as terms of affection - the realistic perception of me using this term is far different than someone who identifies with that ethnicity using that same term...

Now - I'm gonna pull my ghetto pass back out and resume our regularly scheduled program
^^^
This.

When non-blacks say it down here they mean in with all of the nastiness implied.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 07:57 PM   #188
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post
For me, I've had a few Black friends in my lifetime. Most you might call "Carlton", probably given where I grew up, where I went to school, social circles, profession, etc.

From several of these friends, I've heard of the term, "Talented Ten" (top 10% of Blacks) One trait I noticed is that most of these guys refrain from using the N word. And amongst friends use the term "negro" in either a joking or derogatory manner.

So back to "Talented Ten"... Is this a real term and is it widely used?
It's Talented Tenth. It is real, not widely used, and also has a few unsavory connotations.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2016, 08:03 PM   #189
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Sanders or Clinton?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 08:03 PM   #190
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
It's Talented Tenth. It is real, not widely used, and also has a few unsavory connotations.
Thank you. What are the unsavory connotations? Out of curiosity.

My friends used to joke about it. These were mostly Wall Street guys and lawyers in NY. There were even societies and social groups that some of my friends belonged to that were comprised of more of the same professionals. On a couple occasions it was within this context that "talented tenth" was mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 08:09 PM   #191
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post
Thank you. What are the unsavory connotations? Out of curiosity.

My friends used to joke about it. These were mostly Wall Street guys and lawyers in NY. There were even societies and social groups that some of my friends belonged to that were comprised of more of the same professionals. On a couple occasions it was within this context that "talented tenth" was mentioned.

This is how I grew up. It means that those who are talented and chosen (from a self-selected group) based on some external attributes as well as being from the right families should marry within the group, keep separate from non-group members, and continue to perpetuate the organizations' ethos.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2016, 08:12 PM   #192
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Obama isn't the first black president. Name the first black president for weed brownie points....
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 08:14 PM   #193
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Obama isn't the first black president. Name the first black president for weed brownie points....
      04-13-2016, 08:16 PM   #194
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
You had to go there...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 08:18 PM   #195
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer
You had to go there...
He asked!
      04-13-2016, 09:54 PM   #196
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93

Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 09:55 PM   #197
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud
Sanders or Clinton?
I actually find Trump pretty entertaining, at times.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 10:06 PM   #198
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Truth: someone (of any race) comes up and says to me "fuck you fucking chink/gook/nip," I'd be like "okay...?" And walk off. Seriously I have no issue with that.

Someone comes up and calls me a dumb shit I would grab the closest beer mug and bash their head in. I don't get caught up in the race name calling. It's when I am personally insulted that gets me bananas.
Appreciate 1