BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

01-16-2019, 01:15 PM   #485
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Come on now. The use of lies and fear has never been to the degree we see with Trump.
The dems made it look like the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse were about to descend on us the minute Trump won the election.
And they weren't wrong.
      01-16-2019, 01:16 PM   #486
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Sure they were they just keep trying to prove shit that doesnt matter.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 01:17 PM   #487
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

How about "Too big to fail?"
Appreciate 1
Delta03117395.00

01-16-2019, 01:18 PM   #488
1MOREMOD
United_States
Rep

Short lived memories, ice age now global warming. Dems are scared of any and everything rep are scared of idiots trying to push their scared agenda on the world.
Appreciate 2
Delta03117395.00
arkie6359.00

01-16-2019, 01:20 PM   #489
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Come on now. The use of lies and fear has never been to the degree we see with Trump.
I was going to agree with this statement when you compare Trump only to other Presidents and say that many other politicians are by and large as bad or worse than him. But then I started thinking....

Lying and fear mongering.....

1) President Bill Clinton narrowly escaped impeachment for lying about his Oval Office affair with Monica Lewinsky.

2) President Obama lied almost daily about his health care proposal, promising, “If you like your health care plan you’ll be able to keep your health care plan.”

3) As we now know, President John F. Kennedy covered up his precarious health (he had Addison’s disease, a serious hormonal condition), denied his many extra-marital affairs with gangster molls and Hollywood stars, and lied about a non-existent “missile gap” in the 1960 presidential race. Once elected, he allowed the Pentagon to announce that no missile gap existed.

4) The monumental presidential lie of the last half century is President Nixon’s denial of White House involvement in the Watergate burglary. Nixon lied until he was forced to release tapes that proved his part in the cover-up, which forced him to resign.

But then the worst, by FAR!

5) The most consequential presidential liar was Lyndon B. Johnson, who repeatedly promised during the 1964 presidential campaign, “We are not about to send American boys 9 or 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian boys ought to be doing for themselves.” At the very same time and with Johnson’s approval, the Pentagon was drawing up plans to send the first wave of more than 100,000 American servicemen to Vietnam. Johnson’s macho determination not to “lose” Vietnam led him to keep increasing the number of American troops until they reached over 500,000. His strategy produced ever mounting U.S. fatalities, reaching a total of 58,000 by the time fighting ended in 1973.

What most posters here rarely include in their assessment of Trump’s truthfulness is that all presidents lie. As noted above, every president has lied about far more serious things than Trump’s embellishments about his wealth, his girlfriends of decades ago or the size of his inaugural crowd.

Trump is not guilty of any lie, falsehood, fabrication, false claim, or toxic exaggeration that equals the lies of one past president whose Alamo-sized ego caused the deaths of thousands of Americans and another chief executive who denied his serial adultery. Most Americans can see the difference between an out-and-out lie and self-evident hyperbole, even if the mainstream press and many here in this forum cannot or will not.
      01-16-2019, 01:38 PM   #490
3.0L
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
I was going to agree with this statement when you compare Trump only to other Presidents and say that many other politicians are by and large as bad or worse than him. But then I started thinking....

1) President Bill Clinton narrowly escaped impeachment for lying about his Oval Office affair with Monica Lewinsky.

2) President Obama lied almost daily about his health care proposal, promising, “If you like your health care plan you’ll be able to keep your health care plan.”

3) As we now know, President John F. Kennedy covered up his precarious health (he had Addison’s disease, a serious hormonal condition), denied his many extra-marital affairs with gangster molls and Hollywood stars, and lied about a non-existent “missile gap” in the 1960 presidential race. Once elected, he allowed the Pentagon to announce that no missile gap existed.

4) The monumental presidential lie of the last half century is President Nixon’s denial of White House involvement in the Watergate burglary. Nixon lied until he was forced to release tapes that proved his part in the cover-up, which forced him to resign.

5) The most consequential presidential liar was Lyndon B. Johnson, who repeatedly promised during the 1964 presidential campaign, “We are not about to send American boys 9 or 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian boys ought to be doing for themselves.” At the very same time and with Johnson’s approval, the Pentagon was drawing up plans to send the first wave of more than 100,000 American servicemen to Vietnam. Johnson’s macho determination not to “lose” Vietnam led him to keep increasing the number of American troops until they reached over 500,000. His strategy produced ever mounting U.S. fatalities, reaching a total of 58,000 by the time fighting ended in 1973.

What most posters here rarely include in their assessment of Trump’s truthfulness is that all presidents lie. As noted above, every president has lied about far more serious things than Trump’s embellishments about his wealth, his girlfriends of decades ago or the size of his inaugural crowd.

Trump is not guilty of any lie, falsehood, fabrication, false claim, or toxic exaggeration that equals the lies of one past president whose Alamo-sized ego caused the deaths of thousands of Americans and another chief executive who denied his serial adultery. Most Americans can see the difference between an out-and-out lie and self-evident hyperbole, even if the mainstream press and many here in this forum cannot or will not.
It remains to be seen just where Trump ultimately fits into the long line-up of lying presidents. No?

As to LBJ and Nixon, I would urinate on their graves if given half a chance. I narrowly missed being a member of the 58,000+ who came home in body bags.

Back to LBJ, I think it is fair to include the overall political climate at that time. This would include that the US had just come out of the McCarthy era (commies are everywhere and everyone is suspect!), the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Eisenhower inflicted "Domino Theory" and the Cold War with Russia. Oh yeah, and lets not forget Nikita Khruschev's tour through our country in the late '50's. Nor forget his words: "We will bury you."

There were huge amounts of fear already in place when things started heating up in South East Asia. LBJ f'd up big time, but at least he was trying to get us out of Vietnam during the final days of his presidency. Credit Nixon for torpedoing LBJ's peace talks with the north (do a search for the Chennault Affair), it will blow your mind.

Want a Cookie?.
Appreciate 1
minn196907.00

01-16-2019, 01:57 PM   #491
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Let's not forget the WMDs in Iraq scare. Anyone want to do the math on how much that debacle cost us?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 02:57 PM   #492
Eriphill
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
And they weren't wrong.
Appreciate 3
UncleWede9537.00
SakhirM410204.00
lakefront266.50

01-16-2019, 06:32 PM   #493
///M4ster Yoda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:

2) President Obama lied almost daily about his health care proposal, promising, "If you like your health care plan you'll be able to keep your health care plan."

3) As we now know, President John F. Kennedy covered up his precarious health (he had Addison's disease, a serious hormonal condition), denied his many extra-marital affairs with gangster molls and Hollywood stars, and lied about a non-existent "missile gap" in the 1960 presidential race. Once elected, he allowed the Pentagon to announce that no missile gap existed.

4) The monumental presidential lie of the last half century is President Nixon's denial of White House involvement in the Watergate burglary. Nixon lied until he was forced to release tapes that proved his part in the cover-up, which forced him to resign.

5) The most consequential presidential liar was Lyndon B. Johnson, who repeatedly promised during the 1964 presidential campaign, "We are not about to send American boys 9 or 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian boys ought to be doing for themselves." At the very same time and with Johnson's approval, the Pentagon was drawing up plans to send the first wave of more than 100,000 American servicemen to Vietnam. Johnson's macho determination not to "lose" Vietnam led him to keep increasing the number of American troops until they reached over 500,000. His strategy produced ever mounting U.S. fatalities, reaching a total of 58,000 by the time fighting ended in 1973.

What most posters here rarely include in their assessment of Trump's truthfulness is that all presidents lie. As noted above, every president has lied about far more serious things than Trump's embellishments about his wealth, his girlfriends of decades ago or the size of his inaugural crowd.

Bravo. This man gets it!
Current Stable: '19 X3 (Wifey) '20 ZCP M4 (Mine)
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410204.00

01-16-2019, 06:39 PM   #494
///M4ster Yoda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
You see the thing about Pelosi getting trolled. Lady shows up at her house and wants to immigrate to her property. Interview with cops was funny shit.
Is this it?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dai...elosi-protest/

I found it

Current Stable: '19 X3 (Wifey) '20 ZCP M4 (Mine)
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2619.00

01-16-2019, 07:11 PM   #495
wdb
dances with roads
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '07 E93 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
That really is a stupid post.
Not stupid. Look at a map. Now picture all those drug-laden rapists and criminals you so deathly fear are currently walking across the border, except now they have a boat. What's your wall gonna do then.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 07:15 PM   #496
gunsmoker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:

Sorry, this is whataboutism. Is it so hard to understand that Trump does all that for himself and couldn't care less about the lost souls that think he got in power to save them? Lying about the petty stuff that he lies about is infantile at best. Why do people keep defending him? As much as I'm not aligned with Pence and I'm not a Republican, I'll throw a party if Trump is pushed out and Pence succeeds him. Let's say it's not a failure of the Republican party, people elected him, made a mistake (no Trumpcare, no wall, no coal industry uptick, budget deficit through the roof, stocks down, jobs outsourcing continues, tariffs hit businesses), let's cut our losses and get the next guy in to stop this charade.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2019, 07:19 PM   #497
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Not stupid. Look at a map. Now picture all those drug-laden rapists and criminals you so deathly fear are currently walking across the border, except now they have a boat. What's your wall gonna do then.
You are right. This post was even more stupid and not based on any factual information.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
2015 ///M4, SO/full black, 6MT, HK, light 19"
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 07:35 PM   #498
1MOREMOD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We can open a boat shop and be rich, brilliant
Appreciate 1
dsad11116.50

01-16-2019, 07:51 PM   #499
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
We can open a boat shop and be rich, brilliant

I'm going to start investing in naval mines
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2019, 07:59 PM   #500
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Ramming speed!
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2019, 08:19 PM   #501
1MOREMOD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
I'm going to start investing in naval mines
I like it play both sides.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 10:18 PM   #502
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
That really is a stupid post.
In your scenario the wall already made them have to get a boat and learn how to navigate themselves to someplace across the border.

That's what the wall working looks like.
      01-17-2019, 09:34 AM   #503
Jockey
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SS M3

But I thought the wall was going to stop illegal immigration?
Appreciate 1
minn196907.00

01-17-2019, 09:38 AM   #504
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
But I thought the wall was going to stop illegal immigration?
Let me help you then... Read this slowly.

A physical barrier at the border is an essential component of border security.

Notice there is no "stop" in the above statement; and I didn't mention "illegal immigration" either. 💡

01-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #505
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
In your scenario the wall already made them have to get a boat and learn how to navigate themselves to someplace across the border.

That's what the wall working looks like.
The guys statement is idiot. Our coastal waters are well patrolled this is why MEXICO is the preferred route of drug smugglers and not the Caribbean sea.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2019, 09:40 AM   #506
1MOREMOD
United_States
Rep

It's like arguing with someone who doesnt speak English just let them deflect
Appreciate 1
Delta03117395.00