BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

02-17-2016, 07:53 PM   #23
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich328i View Post
Has anyone that has done this modification still have it working and have you had your car serviced or had warranty repair work done since installing it?
Which feature?
Hold SOC with REX or media files play?

I've done both.
The former is great.
The latter I tested once to make sure it worked, and never had a reason to use it again.

I've had the car serviced multiple times.
The worst outcome that sometimes occurs is that the dealer installs a new version of the i3 software, thereby over-writing all your custom settings.

Quote:
My main concern is that this will void my warranty, as I am sure a good deal of you also worry.
No, not really.
What is the logical connection between changing the existing software settings and voiding the warranty?

The settings you update are identical to the subset that is available for updating via iDrive. US aversion of iDrive hides a few settings vs. those available in the rest of the world (e.g.: REX SOC, Video In Motion, AM radio, etc). Others were never exposed to avoid confusion and cluttering the UI (e.g.: 3 auto-blinkers when you touch turn signal vs. 4 or 5, or ). Most are either regional customization or optional feature enable settings (Navi voice set to American vs. British, or add tire temp and PSI display for winder screens, but not for basic nav screen, etc).

Tool shared for editing all these settings is an internal BMW software update app that allow you to view and modify all of these settings.

Quote:
I know that when a fault happens it records all settings at the time in the software, sort of a snapshot, and even though you change your setting back before taking it to the dealer, your change is still recorded in the fault snapshot.
There are a few dozen computers in ANY modern car, including i3.
The DME records engine faults. Many others do many other things.
DME is one computer you are not modifying via coding, so whatever messages are stored within it are uneffected by your coding efforts.

For example, REX SOC setting is a config change in KOMBI module.
Rear view camera while driving forward setting is in PMA_PDC module.
Video in Motion are multiple setting updates in HU_NBT or HU_ENTRYNAV.
Silencing seat belt alerts is in ACSM module.
etc, etc

Quote:
Anyone? Thoughts?
Thanks for reviving this thread for me.
YMMV,
a

Last edited by afadeev; 07-16-2016 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 0