BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

11-17-2020, 12:45 PM   #199
M5theonlyone
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 V8 Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
ĭn nōmine Pătris ĕt Fīliī ĕt Spīritūs Sānctī
Anything else on the menu I wonder ..the same old cod is boring.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2020, 12:53 PM   #200
///M Power-Belgium
Lieutenant General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Anything else on the menu I wonder ..the same old cod is boring.
Menu ?
Soon in front of my dinner : Potato croquettes , Roast beef and mushrooms .
Dessert is Crθme brϋlιe .
      11-17-2020, 01:11 PM   #201
M5theonlyone
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Menu ?
Soon in front of my dinner : Potato croquettes , Roast beef and mushrooms .
Dessert is Crθme brϋlιe .
Yum .I already had roast chicken ready cooked from Costco,Normandy style vegetable blend with roast potatoes.Desert was a Magnum ice cream followed by Nespresso coffee.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2020, 01:29 PM   #202
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Words from F1 Luminaries.

From people in the know...

Frank Williams: “ If you said to me that all the drivers today are free and they're all desperate to get into Williams, I would say: 'Send in Lewis.'”
—————————————
Paddy Lowe: "He's tremendously good at controlling a car in oversteer. We saw that from the first moment he got in our car. We saw the data, and on every entry we could see there was a massive correction on the steering, and our normal drivers would have been bitching like hell that the car was undriveable, yet he didn't even pass comment. So with a driver like that, you're better equipped to push the boundaries to new levels. Speaking generically of that characteristic, a lot of the performance limit of a car is set by stability; if you can't hang on to it, you will have to introduce understeer in that zone. But if you have a driver better able to deal with oversteer in those zones that induce it, then you will have a less-understeery car elsewhere and therefore more total grip over the lap. The great drivers over the years - Senna, Schumacher, Mansell - have all had that ability. Like for like compared to other drivers, they want more front end."
—————————————-
James Allison: “The level of drive that Lewis has, and indeed all these multiple champions have, is quite staggering. You can think you’re a competitive person, you can think you’re a driven person, and then you bump into someone who really is and you realise that actually you’re oh a sort of middle of the road lackadaisical drifter by comparison.”
—————————————
Heikki Kovalainen: “He’s very good at driving when the car doesn’t have the maximum aero load and the car is moving around a bit more and you’re kind of sitting on the [edge of the] mechanical grip, and on the tyre grip, if you like. “He’s very good at that – he’s got some special sensors in his a*** that he can just tiptoe on that edge just a bit beyond everyone else, I think.”
—————————————
Pedro de la Rosa: Reflecting now on the events, de la Rosa said that his views on Hamilton changed totally on the second run that the now six-time champion did.
"That's when my mind changed," said de la Rosa, speaking to F1's Beyond the Grid podcast.
"We had two cars, we were testing there, [and] it was his first ever Formula 1 experience. He did a run, and he was nowhere, you know.
"I remember looking at his data with Philip Prew, my race engineer back then. We were looking and Philip told me: 'The boy will need to improve a lot over the years...it's a long road for Lewis, but he will be good, but we just have to give him time, blah, blah'.
"And I thought 'yeah, yeah, yeah'. I did a run, came back, looked at the times and I saw Lewis was fastest.
"You know, on the second run! And I looked at the data and I said: 'What happened?' [They said:] 'Well we gave him new tires'.
"So I looked in the data, and he was so fast through Copse, Becketts, Maggots... that then I just realised the potential of Lewis Hamilton. Just looking at the data for a couple of seconds I realised we had a massive problem."
"It was his first ever F1 test, his second run in Silverstone, and I realized this guy is very, very fast.
"I've seen a lot of drivers in my life. You know, I've been with very good drivers, I would say, and I feel very honoured of that. But when I saw Lewis, I thought "wow, this is very special". And then, when the season was over, I knew that Lewis would be in the race car and I knew that Fernando was signed.
"And I was happy with that, because I said to myself, if I was in, Ron [Dennis]'s feet, or Martin Whitmarsh's feet, I would take the same decision, because Lewis is incredibly fast and Fernando as we all know, is mega."
Appreciate 2
yco3013.00
clutchdj680.50

11-17-2020, 01:39 PM   #203
racerbruce
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR Imola Red

Well said -

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post

Frank Williams: “ If you said to me that all the drivers today are free and they're all desperate to get into Williams, I would say: 'Send in Lewis.'”
—————————————
Paddy Lowe: "He's tremendously good at controlling a car in oversteer. We saw that from the first moment he got in our car. We saw the data, and on every entry we could see there was a massive correction on the steering, and our normal drivers would have been bitching like hell that the car was undriveable, yet he didn't even pass comment. So with a driver like that, you're better equipped to push the boundaries to new levels. Speaking generically of that characteristic, a lot of the performance limit of a car is set by stability; if you can't hang on to it, you will have to introduce understeer in that zone. But if you have a driver better able to deal with oversteer in those zones that induce it, then you will have a less-understeery car elsewhere and therefore more total grip over the lap. The great drivers over the years - Senna, Schumacher, Mansell - have all had that ability. Like for like compared to other drivers, they want more front end."
—————————————-
James Allison: “The level of drive that Lewis has, and indeed all these multiple champions have, is quite staggering. You can think you’re a competitive person, you can think you’re a driven person, and then you bump into someone who really is and you realise that actually you’re oh a sort of middle of the road lackadaisical drifter by comparison.”
—————————————
Heikki Kovalainen: “He’s very good at driving when the car doesn’t have the maximum aero load and the car is moving around a bit more and you’re kind of sitting on the [edge of the] mechanical grip, and on the tyre grip, if you like. “He’s very good at that – he’s got some special sensors in his a*** that he can just tiptoe on that edge just a bit beyond everyone else, I think.”
—————————————
Pedro de la Rosa: Reflecting now on the events, de la Rosa said that his views on Hamilton changed totally on the second run that the now six-time champion did.
"That's when my mind changed," said de la Rosa, speaking to F1's Beyond the Grid podcast.
"We had two cars, we were testing there, [and] it was his first ever Formula 1 experience. He did a run, and he was nowhere, you know.
"I remember looking at his data with Philip Prew, my race engineer back then. We were looking and Philip told me: 'The boy will need to improve a lot over the years...it's a long road for Lewis, but he will be good, but we just have to give him time, blah, blah'.
"And I thought 'yeah, yeah, yeah'. I did a run, came back, looked at the times and I saw Lewis was fastest.
"You know, on the second run! And I looked at the data and I said: 'What happened?' [They said:] 'Well we gave him new tires'.
"So I looked in the data, and he was so fast through Copse, Becketts, Maggots... that then I just realised the potential of Lewis Hamilton. Just looking at the data for a couple of seconds I realised we had a massive problem."
"It was his first ever F1 test, his second run in Silverstone, and I realized this guy is very, very fast.
"I've seen a lot of drivers in my life. You know, I've been with very good drivers, I would say, and I feel very honoured of that. But when I saw Lewis, I thought "wow, this is very special". And then, when the season was over, I knew that Lewis would be in the race car and I knew that Fernando was signed.
"And I was happy with that, because I said to myself, if I was in, Ron [Dennis]'s feet, or Martin Whitmarsh's feet, I would take the same decision, because Lewis is incredibly fast and Fernando as we all know, is mega."

Thank you MK,
Wowie - such detailed analysis coming from engineers, drivers, etc of HAM's skills.

While the rest of the F1 grid lament as to why MB and HAM have literally re-written world records, MB and HAM keep their heads down and focus and commit to be better....every moment....every day.
OZ Rims / Bilstein B8 Struts & Shocks / Eibach Pro-Kit Springs / ZHP Control Arms / RE Diablo Exhaust / RPi Air Intake / BMC Air Filter / CDV / RE Trans Mounts / 3M Paint Protection / TMS CF Grilles / TK CF Mirrors / Skyer CF Spoiler / CF Antenna / M Pedals & Dead Pedal / CoCo Floor Mats / WeissLicht LED Rear Turn Signal Lamps / #748 of 3,041
Appreciate 1
MKSixer27897.00

11-17-2020, 01:45 PM   #204
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:

—————————————
—————————————-
—————————————
—————————————
epic post!!!

and i d like to add this one from Martin Whitmarsh..

“I look back now and think, ‘I could have been the person who tore Lewis Hamilton’s contract up and never got him back.’ I was so lucky, really.”

from EdM5's BBC post..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/extra/c1...Hamilton-story

11-17-2020, 01:57 PM   #205
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
epic post!!!

and i d like to add this one from Martin Whitmarsh..

“I look back now and think, ‘I could have been the person who tore Lewis Hamilton’s contract up and never got him back.’ I was so lucky, really.”

from EdM5's BBC post..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/extra/c1...Hamilton-story
I read this and sent it out to about 30 or so people, as well. Could you imagine being the guy who let Lewis Hamilton go? UGH...ultimate blot on your career!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 01:58 PM   #206
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
Thank you MK,
Wowie - such detailed analysis coming from engineers, drivers, etc of HAM's skills.

While the rest of the F1 grid lament as to why MB and HAM have literally re-written world records, MB and HAM keep their heads down and focus and commit to be better....every moment....every day.
Thanks Bruce and you are spot on...they are a machine that doesn't care what anyone thinks or does. Lots of organizations and people can learn from this!!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 03:39 PM   #207
racerbruce
Colonel
Rep

Well said -

Quote:
Thanks Bruce and you are spot on...they are a machine that doesn't care what anyone thinks or does. Lots of organizations and people can learn from this!!
Well said MK,
Your previous comment regarding MB's acumen in all aspects of F1 (design/testing/manufacturing/operations/staffing/forward-looking strategic planning, etc) is incredible.

You mentioned that MB is an organization to be emulated....I would presume MB performs corporate oversight and training sessions which create "other income" for the mother-ship.
OZ Rims / Bilstein B8 Struts & Shocks / Eibach Pro-Kit Springs / ZHP Control Arms / RE Diablo Exhaust / RPi Air Intake / BMC Air Filter / CDV / RE Trans Mounts / 3M Paint Protection / TMS CF Grilles / TK CF Mirrors / Skyer CF Spoiler / CF Antenna / M Pedals & Dead Pedal / CoCo Floor Mats / WeissLicht LED Rear Turn Signal Lamps / #748 of 3,041
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 03:48 PM   #208
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Could you imagine being the guy who let Lewis Hamilton go?
A bit like when Williams and Head refused to reward Newey for his part in Hills DWC winning car with a small share in the company.
Where would Williams F1 team be now if they had.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer27897.00
clutchdj680.50

11-17-2020, 06:29 PM   #209
racerbruce
Colonel
Rep

Well said -

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
A bit like when Williams and Head refused to reward Newey for his part in Hills DWC winning car with a small share in the company.
Where would Williams F1 team be now if they had.
Well said and a great bit of F1 history.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer27897.00

11-17-2020, 07:02 PM   #210
clutchdj
Major
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:
Very enlightening to read and now visualize how F1 engineers think.
Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer27897.00

11-18-2020, 11:05 AM   #211
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
A Rare Photo of HAM having dinner with all of the drivers who are better than him.

Attached Images

Appreciate 4
5.M0NSTER1960.00
yco3013.00
dbarton62647.00
Bongoxxx270.50

11-18-2020, 11:24 AM   #212
racerbruce
Colonel
Rep

This.is.awesome.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer27897.00

11-18-2020, 11:27 AM   #213
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
This.is.awesome.

Thanks Bruce!!

I saw it yesterday on FB but couldn't use the shot because the user's name was imbedded. I though it was hilarious.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 12:21 PM   #214
racerbruce
Colonel
Rep

Thank you -

Quote:
Thanks Bruce!!

I saw it yesterday on FB but couldn't use the shot because the user's name was imbedded. I though it was hilarious.
MK,
You briefly referenced your driving instructor....is this for high performance driving training or do you compete in sanctioned events?? Post here or feel free to PM me.

Last edited by racerbruce; 11-18-2020 at 05:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 12:32 PM   #215
///M Power-Belgium
Lieutenant General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
HAM looks very hungry , but there's no food on the table !
Admiral210.50

11-18-2020, 12:43 PM   #216
M5theonlyone
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Maybe MAX is late
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2020, 12:49 PM   #217
///M Power-Belgium
Lieutenant General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Maybe MAX is late
MAX is not invited , because HAM is chicken for the challenge .
Anyway , the challenge remains open...

11-18-2020, 01:00 PM   #218
M5theonlyone
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
He'll be a sad man sitting there on his own for not taking the challenge.
Appreciate 2
      11-18-2020, 01:14 PM   #219
5.M0NSTER
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT Drivers Pack

Quote:
MAX is not invited
I do believe you need to win at least 1 WDC to be invited to sit at that table. So this might take a while

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 3
dbarton62647.00
MKSixer27897.00

11-18-2020, 03:30 PM   #220
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:

Lol such BS...Mercedes offered to let Verstappen drive their car...its Verstappen who is too frightened to turn up for a drive, knowing full well he would be slower.
Pointing out *again* that Verstappen has no say in who gets to drive a Red Bull just as Hamilton can't say who gets to drive a Mercedes.
Appreciate 0