BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

10-23-2019, 04:54 PM   #45
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Got a pic of your visor cover?

The sticker really irritates me too, and appears unremovable. (On my McLaren it just easily peeled off )
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 12:00 PM   #46
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Got a pic of your visor cover?

The sticker really irritates me too, and appears unremovable. (On my McLaren it just easily peeled off )
Somewhere on the M4, M6, or X6M forum I think... Let me see if I can find a link to it...

Folks were apparently horrified I actually USED a sewing machine to make them. They thought it was unreasonable that someone should actually BUY a sewing machine to make something (actually my FATHER gave me the machine many, many years ago). I tried to tell them I didn't buy it just for this, I use it for all kinds of (MANLY!) stuff. It sits in my hobby shop in the vicinity of my welder, Laser cutter, CNC plasma cutter, 3D printers, water jet cutter, vinyl cutter, sublimation presses, embroidery machine,... ;-)
Appreciate 1
JasH621.00
      10-24-2019, 12:08 PM   #47
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Here ya go: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=12

Note that the second photo is with the flash on so the cover looks overly sparkly in its up-close reflectivity. This is something that doesn't happen at all in "real life". The flash photo is good though to clearly show the shape/design of the cover...

Its literally an open ended rectangular sock. Using spandex means it easily hugs the visor, stays in place, and is very tolerant of slightly imperfect sewing and/or sizing. It just snugs right up and you pretty much never notice it again...
Appreciate 1
JasH621.00
      10-24-2019, 12:14 PM   #48
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Brilliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
I've been COVERING the airbag sticker for years on ALL my cars:

Get some stretchy Nylon Spandex from the local fabric store which matches the color of your interior (mine is black).

Sew the spandex into an open ended rectangular "sock" to slide over the visor. (You'll need two). Be sure to hem the two open edges on each sock. (very easy)

Slide it over the visors and, if you've sized it right, it'll fit nice and snug and you'll never notice that its there. You can also slide stuff between the visor "cover" (sock) and the visor if you want (vehicle registration, etc).

When you are ready to sell the car you can simply slide them off or leave them with the car...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 02:34 PM   #49
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Thanks, that's very useful to see the pics. Will need to be white spandex for mine though, as my visors are white.

Why BMW couldn't have just put (peelable) stickers on too
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 02:35 PM   #50
Ionicsilveri8
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Donington grey i8 LCI

Quote:
Somewhere on the M4, M6, or X6M forum I think... Let me see if I can find a link to it...

Folks were apparently horrified I actually USED a sewing machine to make them. They thought it was unreasonable that someone should actually BUY a sewing machine to make something (actually my FATHER gave me the machine many, many years ago). I tried to tell them I didn't buy it just for this, I use it for all kinds of (MANLY!) stuff. It sits in my hobby shop in the vicinity of my welder, Laser cutter, CNC plasma cutter, 3D printers, water jet cutter, vinyl cutter, sublimation presses, embroidery machine,... ;-)
What... no flower press?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #51
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionicsilveri8 View Post
What... no flower press?
Hah! Nope.. (At least not yet) I do have a total of 3 sewing machines though! ...and, of course, I only do very MANLY projects with these. (One old Sears Roebuck cast iron one my father gave me, a newer general purpose machine, and one that's designed to process computer generated embroidery)

I got my engineering degree (a VERY long time ago) because I really like designing and making stuff. It doesn't matter if its made from steel, plastic, or fabric. Its very satisfying to make something EXACTLY the way you want to!

{$0.02:} Unfortunately, I don't think we have enough "makers" in the USA anymore (just "consumers")... I have run free evening classes at my company to teach/introduce school kids to microcontroller hardware/software development (arduino). Its really fun to see some of them "light up" when they make stuff for themselves!

{Shameless:} I have four 3D printers in my shop (Different filament types and processes) and one or more are often running to print something I designed (not necessarily complicated). Here's a link to a Valentine 1 Radar Detector mount for the i8 which I am pretty happy with: https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/s....php?t=1536150

Last edited by evanevery; 10-25-2019 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 09:42 AM   #52
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

In agreement with your 2¢

Quote:
Hah! Nope.. (At least not yet) I do have a total of 3 sewing machines though! ...and, of course, I only do very MANLY projects with these. (One old Sears Roebuck cast iron one my father gave me, a newer general purpose machine, and one that's designed to process computer generated embroidery)

I got my engineering degree (a VERY long time ago) because I really like designing and making stuff. It doesn't matter if its made from steel, plastic, or fabric. Its very satisfying to make something EXACTLY the way you want to!

{$0.02:} Unfortunately, I don't think we have enough "makers" in the USA anymore (just "consumers")... I have run free evening classes at my company to teach/introduce school kids to microcontroller hardware/software development (arduino). Its really fun to see some of them "light up" when they make stuff for themselves!

{Shameless:} I have four 3D printers in my shop (Different filament types and processes) and one or more are often running to print something I designed (not necessarily complicated). Here's a link to a Valentine 1 Radar Detector mount for the i8 which I am pretty happy with: https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/s....php?t=1536150
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 01:04 PM   #53
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

No longer having a sewing machine, I'm contemplating trimming a piece of black duct tape to cover it.

Finally got the adhesive from debadging off; required a series of spraying, gently scraping w nylon spatula, cloth. Then a bit of clay bar and polish.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 01:05 PM   #54
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Still searching for back seat cover solution.
Appreciate 0