BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

10-02-2019, 11:35 PM   #1
i8alot
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2016

Tires

Hey there,

BMW sold me a pre-owned i8 with tires that don't pass safety inspection. Long story short, I got it from another province and got screwed over.

I'm trying to find Summer/All Season tires as well as a set for winter.

People in Canada (specifically Toronto), where are you getting your tires from that are reasonably priced?

Also, does anyone know if it's okay to have different brands for the front set and for the back set?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 10:27 PM   #2
FLYIN'
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, M550i, X545e

Only two tires available for the i8 on Tirerack.com. The Bridgestone OEM and Pirelli (with not great reviews). Pirellis are less expensive. Maybe others can say if they have had a wider tire fit the stock rim.
If the dealer was not a BMW center then it's always a good idea to have one do a pre-purchase inspection. They can then also check for previous mechanical issues fixed under warranty. The tires would have definitely been flagged.

And you should never run different brand tires on a high performance vehicle. DSC will help but it will drive like crap.
'21 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 12:25 AM   #3
i8alot
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2016

Thanks for the input.

It was an official BMW location so I did trust it. Clearly a big mistake
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 09:44 AM   #4
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

I bought Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 all seasons that are rated for snow and had the installed on my 2015 i8. Front 245/40R20, rear 275/35R20 on stock Turbine style wheels. These are wider than stock tires but clear all the suspension and have no rubbing. They fill out the wheel well better, give me better grip (less oversteer) than stock. But, I do get a little more road noise on certain types of asphalt. The rear tires also flat spot when they sit for 24 hours, likely due to the plus sizing, but that goes away with 1-2 miles of driving. I have 7k miles on the tires and I've been very happy with them as they've only gone from 10/32" depth to 9/32" depth. The stock tires start at 8/32" depth and burn through rubber quickly. I'm eager to try them out on the snow once we get some in Maryland.

There should be no concerns about different brands up front compared to the rear. Unlike a Subaru, there is no drive line connecting the two axles. It's rare that both axles are pulling at the same percentage, anyway. So, it doesn't seem like a risk to me to do this.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 07:36 AM   #5
FLYIN'
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, M550i, X545e

Quote:
Originally Posted by i8alot View Post
Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i8alot View Post
I would then go back to the sales manager and service manager. They should never have sold an i8 that needed tires for a safety inspection. If they don't make it right take it up to BMW NA and complain. A reputable BMW dealer should never do this.
'21 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #6
A5HLEY
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

I'm in Calgary and have a take off set of OEM Bridgestone Potenza's with less than 1,000 kms on them. I'm going up to 21" wheels and will unload them cheap. Message me back or shoot me a message at ashleyroberts3000 at g mail
Appreciate 0