BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

10-21-2019, 03:20 PM   #1
Swiss tone
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ionic silver I8

Have I got this right? Driving questions

Had the car only about 4 weeks and still learning but loving it also.

It's actually back at the main dealer for a minor fix but missing it already lol.

I had two cars, a Jaguar XK-R V8 beast (420bhp) as my loud show toy and a 4 series M sport for the daily driver and good mpg.
Different cars but just didn't get to drive the jag much so the i8 was the answer to satisfy both camps.

So far so good and smiles per miles!

Right, need a bit of clarification......

So in sport mode, it throws everything at the power train to give the combined engine and elec assistance giving 4 wheel drive.

We know that after a full charge, it's not a great range (I've got 15 miles max so far) and quickly goes down under normal driving.
So if it's showing zero elec range and I put it in sport, is the power reduced so in effect, little elec motor assistance and mainly combustion engine?

I know when in sport, the batteries are charged but must take a while?

Similarly, I leave it in hybrid to do its own thing but again, when the elec range has run out, is power available reduced?

The handbook just doesn't clarify .

How can full power be available if no battery charge is left? Full power is always available on a conventional set up eh.

After a full charge then driving in hybrid, its at zero by the time I get to work (say 20 miles) so is that normal or should it be maintaining charge??
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 02:42 AM   #2
Iain123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I8

Welcome. Had mine over 18months and still love it to bits.

Yes, I guess you loose the electric boost when your battery is depleted. You get a blue circle around the tacho when the electric boost comes in. In sport the battery charges fairly quickly. I can get up to 10miles in about 30mins. I recall reading you cant fill the battery completely with sport?
I was enjoying 18miles of range in the warm summer we have had but this drops to 13/14 miles in winter.

Last edited by Iain123; 10-22-2019 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 03:40 AM   #3
Swiss tone
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Iain,

I’ll have to do some tests and comparisons just to see the difference when the batteries are depleted then. With such small batteries, it doesn’t take long does it unless as you say, you are in sport to maintain them. So am I right in saying that in normal ‘hybrid’, the batteries arn’t charged apart from when braking utilising the kinetic energy? Not much really.

Someone mentioned in my other post that you can set ‘maintain battery’ function but I’m yet to find where this is. That would just keep the combustion engine on more wouldn’t it.

That’s the only thing I can say needs improvement, the range but they obviously addressed this in the new models.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 07:55 AM   #4
MajorJump
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

There's a blue arrow on the electric charge-o-meter, that shows the point where it'll stop switching to electric in "hybrid"mode. That's no zero but it's often close. So you won't be able to coast for miles on electric.

However it is maintaining some charge. In my experience, if you make demands on the car (put your foot down) and there's still some juice left it'll use it for boost. If it's fully depleted then, yes you'll rely on the engine only.

However, in reality it's not an issue. Either you're driving along relatively sedately and it stops at the arrow. In which case you'll have some boost left if you need it. Or you'll be gunning around, in which case you should be in Sport. On normal roads that'll charge the battery about as quick as you can use it (it really doesn't take long), as there are always points when you need to slow down. If you're on a track then yeah you'll run out eventually.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 09:06 AM   #5
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

I am one of the first owners since 2014 and still fully enjoy this vehicle, even though BMW had one of the worst go to market and the experience for early adaptors was questionable.... but I digress. Once you put it in Sport mode the battery charges rather quickly, up to 85 percent. I have yet to get to a point where I don't have the boost required when driving around in either mode unless I use battery only to go to and from work. I easily do over 500 or more miles before refilling on gasoline over all these years.

In order to maintain battery level go into the iDrive under battery management. You can chose a level of battery you want to conserve for later use, but I honestly don't bother with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 11:47 AM   #6
Iain123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I8

To hold the state of charge see page 64 of the manual.
Or go to settings>Auto eDrive> and select Hold state of charge.

You can make this into a shortcut.

I find it a real pain if you do run out of leccy around town as the engine start/stop cycle can get annoying. So either just leave it in sport or hold the state of charge so that you always have battery capacity around town.

On a long trip and in comfort mode the battery does charge but it takes forever and is probably only through slowing or braking.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 12:00 PM   #7
Swiss tone
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks guys, that does explain a few things and good to know.

We want to get the best out of it don't we and adapting our driving sounds the key to keeping the reserves for the fun!

Can't wait to get it back from the main dealer now but they are being a pain and not even started work yet. Apparently, lack of trained technicians on this car!! Lol so they don't plan then basically.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 07:08 AM   #8
Swiss tone
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

One more question,

Is there a separate 12v conventional battery that would run the anciliaries separate to the high voltage batteries for the drivetrain or do they just run everything?
I guess if there was that it would be in the boot like all the other cars so assume it doesn't. Sorry if this has been covered before!

Just wondered if using the heated seats etc actually shortens the range or no problem if on a separate elec system?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 04:49 PM   #9
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

12V battery is in the front, under the bonnet.

Yes range will reduce slightly if you use electrics, but no more than in any petrol driven car (unless you're using e-drive, in which case it will reduce much more, like any BEV).
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 07:02 AM   #10
Swiss tone
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
12V battery is in the front, under the bonnet.

Yes range will reduce slightly if you use electrics, but no more than in any petrol driven car (unless you're using e-drive, in which case it will reduce much more, like any BEV).
You can tell that i haven't been under the bonnet then! bit of a faf pulling the cords out.
They broke the trend then in putting it at the front! maybe better balance i guess and near the other batteries.

One huge altenator charging all the batteries or more complex than that? Quite interesting knowing how these cars work though.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 02:37 PM   #11
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss tone View Post
You can tell that i haven't been under the bonnet then! bit of a faf pulling the cords out.
They broke the trend then in putting it at the front! maybe better balance i guess and near the other batteries.
There is no need to open the bonnet normally. In fact BMW advise owners never to. It's a 2 man job btw.

It's normal to have the battery at the front on a (good mid-engine) sports car. As you say, for balance. (In fact I can't remember the last mid-engine car I owned that did not have the battery at the front, and low down.)
Appreciate 0