BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-21-2019, 11:19 PM   #705
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
I'm not a yard freak but I pay people to come and sprinkle poison on my lawn to make it look nice.
In the fall of last year, I've extended my driveway, patio and shed concrete but the workers left my lawn in a bad shape. The lawn was hydroseeded in 2016 so it's relatively new. The dump truck and Bobcat have turned parts of my lawn into a barren desert. I've tried loosening the soil and overseeding it but nothing wants to grow. I will try aerating the lawn again and see if that does anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 11:23 PM   #706
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
I'm not a yard freak but I pay people to come and sprinkle poison on my lawn to make it look nice.
In the fall of last year, I've extended my driveway, patio and shed concrete but the workers left my lawn in a bad shape. The lawn was hydroseeded in 2016 so it's relatively new. The dump truck and Bobcat have turned parts of my lawn into a barren desert. I've tried loosening the soil and overseeding it but nothing wants to grow. I will try aerating the lawn again and see if that does anything.
you'll need to loosen up that soil since it's heavily compacted. I would even go as far as throwing down some new lawn soil if it's in the budget. aerate and reseed if possible
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 08:04 AM   #707
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Windows closing! My next door neighbor just did his today. I would say this is almost the last week to get any overseeding done before it's too late.
You'll be happy to know that the seed I put down is sprouting nicely. I'll do it again in the spring to touch up any thin/bare areas.

Appreciate 1
      10-27-2019, 10:54 AM   #708
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
Quote:
you'll need to loosen up that soil since it's heavily compacted. I would even go as far as throwing down some new lawn soil if it's in the budget. aerate and reseed if possible
^ whs Sounds like it is pretty compacted. Not sure how big the area is but you could get or rent a small tiller to break up the ground. Throw some compost and/or top soil on top before cultivating the ground to get some 'good stuff' mixed in. Toss some starter fert and quality grass seed, bed the seed in, and top dress and you should be good to go. You'll get weeds unless you use something like Tenacity (or it's active ingredient) but that can be dealt with after the new grass grows in.
      10-27-2019, 11:19 AM   #709
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
^ whs Sounds like it is pretty compacted. Not sure how big the area is but you could get or rent a small tiller to break up the ground. Throw some compost and/or top soil on top before cultivating the ground to get some 'good stuff' mixed in. Toss some starter fert and quality grass seed, bed the seed in, and top dress and you should be good to go. You'll get weeds unless you use something like Tenacity (or it's active ingredient) but that can be dealt with after the new grass grows in.
this way is ideal if he wants to do it right. for a band aid fix just aerating, throwing down some compost, overseed and fertilizer will at least get it looking better
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 04:23 PM   #710
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
this way is ideal if he wants to do it right. for a band aid fix just aerating, throwing down some compost, overseed and fertilizer will at least get it looking better
Mostly things I ran out of time to do this fall. Put fert down last weekend....at a higher rate than maybe I should have. lol Too late to seed. Didn't get to aerate but oh well. Still want to put down/spray a cocktail of fungicide before winter. Running out of time for that, too, though.
      10-27-2019, 04:37 PM   #711
scootr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 3.0 6MT

I keep about 2000 Sq FT of lawn in front of the house. That's it - we are in the southwest US where lawns are frowned upon as water wasting. It is a great mix of 3 grasses and clover. Once called Superbowl sod grown locally for the Chargers San Diego stadium. I let it go long in the summer so it takes less water. It stays green year round and I mow it every week or 2 depending upon the season. The sod is 18 years old and Scotts has been the main food.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
bosstones1144.00
      10-27-2019, 09:01 PM   #712
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr View Post
I keep about 2000 Sq FT of lawn in front of the house. That's it - we are in the southwest US where lawns are frowned upon as water wasting. It is a great mix of 3 grasses and clover. Once called Superbowl sod grown locally for the Chargers San Diego stadium. I let it go long in the summer so it takes less water. It stays green year round and I mow it every week or 2 depending upon the season. The sod is 18 years old and Scotts has been the main food.
Looks good! Is it KGB? I think there was a cultivar called Superbowl.
      10-28-2019, 05:32 AM   #713
scootr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 3.0 6MT

This particular sod was developed by West Coast Sod and grown in Winchester, CA.
It's been through some dry years and always comes back strong. I have not reseeded. I do feed it 2 times a year. I lived in the desert for 20 years prior to moving to this wetter climate... and the one thing I wanted was a little lawn
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 07:05 AM   #714
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

The actually add clover to the sod?
      10-28-2019, 07:36 AM   #715
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mostly things I ran out of time to do this fall. Put fert down last weekend....at a higher rate than maybe I should have. lol Too late to seed. Didn't get to aerate but oh well. Still want to put down/spray a cocktail of fungicide before winter. Running out of time for that, too, though.
you'll have to decide next year if you want to overseed in the spring but if you do you can't throw down any pre emergent. there is one pre emergent you can use but I forgot which one that won't stunt new seed growth. i'm pretty much done for the year. the local maintenance for our community already did the winterizing for our irrigation. so now it's up to mother nature for watering for the rest of the year
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 07:39 AM   #716
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr View Post
This particular sod was developed by West Coast Sod and grown in Winchester, CA.
It's been through some dry years and always comes back strong. I have not reseeded. I do feed it 2 times a year. I lived in the desert for 20 years prior to moving to this wetter climate... and the one thing I wanted was a little lawn
I lived in San Jacinto back in the days and I use to drive by them all the time. they had a big billboard that said "SuperBowl Sod" by the way did you know that right down the street from West Coast Sod in Hemet is where they shot several scenes for the first movie "The Fast and the Furious?" the water tower where they parked the civics and also when they hijacked the semi at the end of the movie. just a fun fact lol!
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2019, 07:50 AM   #717
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
you'll have to decide next year if you want to overseed in the spring but if you do you can't throw down any pre emergent. there is one pre emergent you can use but I forgot which one that won't stunt new seed growth. i'm pretty much done for the year. the local maintenance for our community already did the winterizing for our irrigation. so now it's up to mother nature for watering for the rest of the year
Tenacity or Mesotrione (which is basically the main component of Tenacity). Yeah, I'll just play it by ear and see how the lawn fairs over winter. It was doing pretty good up until I got hit with lawn disease(s) in the fall and the weather & work didn't cooperate enough for me to treat it. Still had some less dense areas to deal with but what was there did good. I have some patches where I had some dollar spot in the front to seed come spring but oh well. I raked them out this fall but the grass didn't fill in at all. I have 125lbs of seed waiting to go down since I didn't make it in time this fall. lol
      10-28-2019, 08:44 AM   #718
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Tenacity or Mesotrione (which is basically the main component of Tenacity). Yeah, I'll just play it by ear and see how the lawn fairs over winter. It was doing pretty good up until I got hit with lawn disease(s) in the fall and the weather & work didn't cooperate enough for me to treat it. Still had some less dense areas to deal with but what was there did good. I have some patches where I had some dollar spot in the front to seed come spring but oh well. I raked them out this fall but the grass didn't fill in at all. I have 125lbs of seed waiting to go down since I didn't make it in time this fall. lol
had a bad case of fungus early Spring with all the rain and warm temperatures. my problem at the time is I didn't have a bagger since I always mulch. eventually with 3 bottles of Bayer Fungicide I was able to cure it. too bad you couldn't get that seed down. I will tell you I see a big difference with some over seeding as my lawn looks a lot more dense and thick than previous years since this is the first time I overseeded since I've owned the house for 3 years. not sure what seed you bought but i'm very pleased with the results with Pete's GCF Tall Fescue blend. i'll be using this cultivar every fall until it overtakes the salad bar my grass has lol! good luck with the cocktail you're throwing down!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 10:43 PM   #719
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
had a bad case of fungus early Spring with all the rain and warm temperatures. my problem at the time is I didn't have a bagger since I always mulch. eventually with 3 bottles of Bayer Fungicide I was able to cure it. too bad you couldn't get that seed down. I will tell you I see a big difference with some over seeding as my lawn looks a lot more dense and thick than previous years since this is the first time I overseeded since I've owned the house for 3 years. not sure what seed you bought but i'm very pleased with the results with Pete's GCF Tall Fescue blend. i'll be using this cultivar every fall until it overtakes the salad bar my grass has lol! good luck with the cocktail you're throwing down!
It's all KBG but split across 4 different cultivars. 50lbs Appalachian (uncoated) and 50lbs Concerto (also uncoated). The other bag is 50lbs but is coated seed so half of it goes to the coating. The other 25% is actually half KBG and half perrenial rye (that I forgot about.....but originally figured it die out anyways because it's rye...lol). The KBG components are Fielder and SR2100 KBG.

I was hoping Pete would have his blend out but he is still experimenting with it. Looks like he is hoping to get it out to folks next fall (2020).

I thought about getting his TTF blend again but wanted to experiment with some KBG cultivars (nte: to do that, I'd have had to have seeded this fall...d'oh). There cultivars that are more disease and drought resistant than the traditionals. Most won't touch TTF but I was wary from the explosion of clumping fescue that I came down with. In all liklihood, I'll go with a TTF and KBG blend down the road. I've been keeping the grass around 3.5" most of the year but am mowing down before winter. I'm at 2.5" now and will probably keep it about that as it goes dormant.

I might just throw fresh soil and compost on my East side yard in the spring and overseed it as new. It is pretty sparse and the weakest of all my grass. Admittedly, I won't both tilling it since I figure whatever grass is strong enough to work through the dirt I'll dump on it....well, it deserves to stay. It really isn't at all dense, though, so I think I'll be good. Plus, with 2 dogs it will help to rotate what section of the lawn I work on.

Now stop posting pictures of your lawn and making me feel bad. lol
      10-29-2019, 08:14 AM   #720
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's all KBG but split across 4 different cultivars. 50lbs Appalachian (uncoated) and 50lbs Concerto (also uncoated). The other bag is 50lbs but is coated seed so half of it goes to the coating. The other 25% is actually half KBG and half perrenial rye (that I forgot about.....but originally figured it die out anyways because it's rye...lol). The KBG components are Fielder and SR2100 KBG.

I was hoping Pete would have his blend out but he is still experimenting with it. Looks like he is hoping to get it out to folks next fall (2020).

I thought about getting his TTF blend again but wanted to experiment with some KBG cultivars (nte: to do that, I'd have had to have seeded this fall...d'oh). There cultivars that are more disease and drought resistant than the traditionals. Most won't touch TTF but I was wary from the explosion of clumping fescue that I came down with. In all liklihood, I'll go with a TTF and KBG blend down the road. I've been keeping the grass around 3.5" most of the year but am mowing down before winter. I'm at 2.5" now and will probably keep it about that as it goes dormant.

I might just throw fresh soil and compost on my East side yard in the spring and overseed it as new. It is pretty sparse and the weakest of all my grass. Admittedly, I won't both tilling it since I figure whatever grass is strong enough to work through the dirt I'll dump on it....well, it deserves to stay. It really isn't at all dense, though, so I think I'll be good. Plus, with 2 dogs it will help to rotate what section of the lawn I work on.

Now stop posting pictures of your lawn and making me feel bad. lol
lol I was about to say Pete has a KG blend but wasn't sure if he had it released yet. he's pretty good and making sure he picks the best cultivars. is that the method to get the grass cut down low before winter. i'm still currently at 3.5" but wasn't sure about how low it should be before the snow? can't promise the picture taking since every time I mow the stripes just says "picture time!"
Appreciate 1
bosstones1144.00
      11-02-2019, 04:56 PM   #721
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
lol I was about to say Pete has a KG blend but wasn't sure if he had it released yet. he's pretty good and making sure he picks the best cultivars. is that the method to get the grass cut down low before winter. i'm still currently at 3.5" but wasn't sure about how low it should be before the snow? can't promise the picture taking since every time I mow the stripes just says "picture time!"

Last video I saw was...several weeks ago I think but he was saying he'd be testing it out and into next year and was hoping to release it fall 2020.

Not sure exactly how low but I figured around 2.5" was okay. Not too low, not too high. This afternoon, I moved all my liquid lawn stuffs (liquid amendments, fungicides, insecticide, etc...) to the basement for winter keeping. I may still try fungicide but not all the snow we got the other day has melted and the temps at night will be below freezing next week.
      11-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #722
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Last video I saw was...several weeks ago I think but he was saying he'd be testing it out and into next year and was hoping to release it fall 2020.

Not sure exactly how low but I figured around 2.5" was okay. Not too low, not too high. This afternoon, I moved all my liquid lawn stuffs (liquid amendments, fungicides, insecticide, etc...) to the basement for winter keeping. I may still try fungicide but not all the snow we got the other day has melted and the temps at night will be below freezing next week.
I have all the NEXT products in my garage cabinets. Are you suggesting it's better to take them inside and store them in the basement?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 07:34 AM   #723
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have all the NEXT products in my garage cabinets. Are you suggesting it's better to take them inside and store them in the basement?
Not suggesting or saying it is a requirement. I think the important thing is that they not freeze but I'm honestly not sure if that is detrimental for them.

I never fully got my garage organized like I wanted to so I had some of my stuffs in a cabinet and some out next to the cabinet. I'm just choosing to store them on one my my basement shelves where I know the climate is stable. My garage doesn't freeze but it's just an extra layer of security given how much $ it all cost. Grass seed was moved to the basement as well. I'm leaving granulars in the garage (Sevin and Disease-X).
      11-07-2019, 12:40 PM   #724
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Looks like the grass is getting ready to go into dormancy. Grass hasn't grown much since temperatures have been dropping
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 11:36 PM   #725
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Temps up to the low 40's today and was going to mow for the last time....but said f it since I had already cut it down to 2.5" and the growth has slowed a lot the last several weeks. Sprayed Wilt Pruf on all the boxwoods to see if that'll keep them happy over the winter.
      11-14-2019, 10:41 PM   #726
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

so wanted to mow the yard today but I have a new problem. some new variety of white fungus is all over my yard! went to Home Depot, Lowes and Menards and nobody seems to know what it is
Appreciate 0