BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

09-21-2019, 02:34 PM   #1
deutsch100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

Please help with driver window/door and front black hood/"frunk"

I week now and loving my 19 i3S, but I need some help.

#1 The black hood "frunk" area is impossible to clean and even a small bird poop leaves a permanent mark on the paint. Clay bar, buffing, wax, microfiber rubs...nothing helps I already have so many little marks and imperfections, but only on the hood.

#2 On uneven pavement the driver window/door has a terrible!!! RATTLE. I have used German Gummi-Pflege on all seals and moulding and even strategically placed felt tape and the ONLY thing that helps is if I very slightly open the driver window. This is fine for great weather, but during heavy rain of course the window will need to be fully closed and the rattle, rattle, rattle. Besides this issue, the car is bank vault quiet!

Any advice or help is SO, SO appreciated. Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 06:39 PM   #2
RedlineTuning
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I have an '18 white i3. I have found that keeping the body spotless is fairly easy, but the hood is not... and I am a bit anal which you appear to be also.

What I did was wrap the hood with 3M Scotchgard Pro - best stuff out and I use it in my shop all of the time. With a few minutes on YouTube, you can figure out how to do it - or take it somewhere to have it applied. I have used carprotectionpros.com to get precut 3M Scotchgard PRO material for many vehicles.

The reason why I recommend this is simple. I bought my '17 i3 used, sight unseen and had it shipped up to me in Michigan (in order to save 25k). It was absolutely spotless, however, the rear bumper lip had some scratches or marks I couldn't get out with the wheel. So, I made a template and wrapped it in Scotchgard - it looks like new. The clear protection film will hide most imperfections and will then protect it from everything and make it very easy to maintain. I have since done the hood of my i3, leaving the white bumper as that is basically indestructible.

So, that is what I would recommend from a person who sounds similar to you.

The other tip I have is the easiest yet. I gave up on waxes and polishes and have used them all. I now use Turtlewax Seal ICE seal n Shine - black bottle. They make many products that look similar - I end up getting mine at Walmart, cheaper than Amazon and everywhere else. This is just a clear spray. I use it ALL the time. You mist a bit on your microfiber towel, wipe away. Spray areas, wipe it away. You will be absolutely amazed at how easy it is to clean you car and keep it clean - I have used everything and this stuff is the bomb.

Brian
///M3 2008 Coupe - Melbourne Red, BMW Performance front splitter and rear spoiler, Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust w/carbon tips, MS StageII intake, Vossen CV7 20"x9" front 20"x10.5" rear, AiB LED Halo, full interior LED lighting, ZHP shift knob (lighted), black grilles & side lights, 09+ NAV controller, ...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 08:25 AM   #3
deutsch100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

THANK YOU Brian! Yes, the main body is super easy to keep clean, but the small black hood is driving me crazy. I cannot imagine anyone having an all (fluid) black car :-O I wish BMW would have made the hood metallic black, as metallic dark colours are SO much easier to keep clean.

On day 2 I gave up on waxes, LOL. I too have found detail spray and a good microfiber works the best as well. I swear by Meguiar's, but Turtle wax is great too!

I am actually thinking of having the hood, frunk, wrapped in a metallic black. I need to do something for my mental health and sanity, LOL!!!! Thank you again for replying!
Appreciate 0