Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

07-24-2018, 09:16 AM   #859
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge View Post
You can try minimizing road vibrations such as double wrapping your handle bars or adding gel pads underneath your bar tap. Gloves can help too.

Also, if you have not had a bike fit you may want to consider one. Your positioning could be off such as leaning too far forward and dumping too much weight into your arms / palms... too stretched out that your arms are locked out meaning you are not using your arms to absorbs bumps....

Finally, are you relaxed when riding? If you are too tense you will grip your handle bars too tight regardless of position and your hand /palms will ache. I use to have the same issue mountain biking new trails.
It seems to be strictly my weight pressing down on just my hands that is giving me grief. I wouldn't say I'm totally relaxed yet, (with pizza cutters any little variation in weight distribution = turning in that direction) but I'm not clenching or anything. Also, just not being able to easily turn my head and look without going off path is tough for me. I'm TRYING to rely on that tiny little mirror on my handle bars, but I broke down and switched to riding against traffic at the end on Sunday. I always run against traffic.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 11:25 AM   #860
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Nurburgring open to cyclists today. That would be a cool ride.
Attached Images

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      07-28-2018, 01:35 PM   #861
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Is anyone watching the TdF? What a race this year! I haven't watched the ITT yet but as far as I'm concerned the yellow jersey is still up in the air. They're close enough that I even wonder if there could be action on Sunday. It's been quite a while since the Tour has been this engaging.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #862
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Is anyone watching the TdF? What a race this year! I haven't watched the ITT yet but as far as I'm concerned the yellow jersey is still up in the air. They're close enough that I even wonder if there could be action on Sunday. It's been quite a while since the Tour has been this engaging.
It's kind of like NASCAR. I watch either for the drone to put me to sleep, or for the crashes. There were some gnarly ones in the first couple of days!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 04:32 PM   #863
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
It's kind of like NASCAR. I watch either for the drone to put me to sleep, or for the crashes. There were some gnarly ones in the first couple of days!!!
I'd agree if I watched it live. We record it and FFWD through the slogs to get to the good stuff. I'll bet the riders wish they could do that.

In point of fact the Tour organizers essentially DID do it; they had two very short mountain stages, all action and no long transits to the next mountain. Knocked almost all of the top sprinters completely out of the Tour with them.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 09:27 AM   #864
RJZCPM3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Hello fellow cyclist. I'm looking into getting a new road bike and tried out a few. I was wondering if any of you have any personal experiences with the Cervelo S5 or Argon18 Nitrogen Pro. I test rode both bikes and felt the Argon18 was a lot more nimble and lighter compared to the stiffness of the Cervelo.

I'm waiting next month when the new Pinarello Prince comes out to test them out before I make a decision.

I would love for the f10 but spending 13k on a bike is just too much for an enthusiast who hardly races.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 01:14 PM   #865
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJZCPM3 View Post
Hello fellow cyclist. I'm looking into getting a new road bike and tried out a few. I was wondering if any of you have any personal experiences with the Cervelo S5 or Argon18 Nitrogen Pro. I test rode both bikes and felt the Argon18 was a lot more nimble and lighter compared to the stiffness of the Cervelo.

I'm waiting next month when the new Pinarello Prince comes out to test them out before I make a decision.

I would love for the f10 but spending 13k on a bike is just too much for an enthusiast who hardly races.
The S5 is pretty long in the tooth now, so I don't think this is surprising. It sounds like you definitely are looking at more aero frames?
      08-16-2018, 03:14 PM   #866
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I didn't go back thru all 40 pages: who's doing recumbent rides? I think this could alleviate my hands issue, but still get me outside (vs riding in the gym)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #867
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

One is good for the soul and the other good for the heart
Attached Images

Akra GT4 / MS Stage 2 / MS UDP / BPM Tune / KW CS / H&R Sways / TMS Delrin / ST 380/355 BBK / Cantrell 2.5" Ducts / SR34 Pads / Apex Arc-8 / Hoosier R7's / Mode GT4 Splitter / GT4 Canards / APR GT-250 Wing / Cantrell Half Cage / Recaro Pro Racer / Schroth Profi II-6 / BMW Alcantera Wheel / Cool Shirt / ESS Fire Supp / Solo DL
Appreciate 3
M_Six16547.00
Mr Tonka6058.00
      08-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #868
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

Quote:
I didn't go back thru all 40 pages: who's doing recumbent rides? I think this could alleviate my hands issue, but still get me outside (vs riding in the gym)
My son's father-in-law switched to a recumbent and enjoyed it for quite a few years. He's in his 70's now, riding less but still getting out there. Recumbents can be arduous in the hills but he lives in a fairly flat region.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      09-05-2018, 10:07 PM   #869
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Yo Unc! You have 3 points of contact when riding a bike. Saddle, Pedals, Handel bar. If you move your bars back or up you will put more weight on your saddle. When your butt starts to hurt, if you pedal harder, you'll put more weight on your feet.

It's really all about fit. Once you get that sorted, it will take a little while to get your core muscles engaged to help keep some weight off of your hands.

I haven't done hardly any road riding since July 4th and started cramming for a cycling trip that starts this Sunday. My hands and ass are feeling it. Keep moving your hands around on the bars. I also take one hand and put it behind my back for 30 seconds or so, then switch. This seems to make the numbness go away quicker than just holding my hands down at my side.

Surprisingly, you may run into the same issues with recumbents. Aside from your legs, your body is in a fairly static position and that causes things to go numb until you get acclimated to those positions.

If you're only going to ride 10 miles at a time, 30 - 40 min. Fit isn't terribly important. But when you're on the bike for 4+ hours regularly, a 5mm adjustment can make the difference between being miserable and super comfortable.
      09-05-2018, 10:14 PM   #870
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Pretty stoked to be headed to Italy for a week of riding in Tuscan country side. 6 days of riding with distances between 40 and 70 miles. Daily elevation will be around 3500ft. Should be rolling hills which can be loads of fun.

Just broke down the bike, cleaned it up and started packing it up. i've only logged about 210 miles since July 4th and 143 of that was just in the past 5 days. Not quite the ramp up i had hoped for, but traveling, MTBing and being sick has kept me off the road bike. I had planned on getting in a several weeks of 200+ miles leading up to this trip. We'll see how well i handle being thrown into the fire.
M_Six16547.00
      09-06-2018, 08:59 AM   #871
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I pulled the bars up out of the neck, and rotated them forward. I'm more comfortable, but now I can't see ANYTHING out of the rear view mirror I had on the end of the bars - smh. So I'm sticking more with Sunday rides in "industrial" areas that have less traffic overall. On those few roads with traffic, I'm spending more and more time riding against the flow, so I can see who is going to hit me.

I can't think of anything I want to do for 4+ hours. . .
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #872
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can't think of anything I want to do for 4+ hours. . .
Lol.

Last month in Colorado i started mountain biking on a trail at 11,200ft at 8:30am. Got down to 7000ft and off the trail at 6:15pm. Peak elevation was 12,700ft. That was some tough climbing for a Florida boy.
      09-07-2018, 04:23 PM   #873
slalomfever
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nardo Grey F80

just got this yesterday....so stoked!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
M_Six16547.00
Mr Tonka6058.00
      09-07-2018, 05:57 PM   #874
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

^^^^^^Sweet

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2018, 08:47 PM   #875
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomfever View Post
Hell yeah!

Cut that steer tube before riding. haha
      09-07-2018, 11:37 PM   #876
blueridge
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW Z4 35is

Stunning bike!

Make sure the seatpost clamp is always torqued to spec otherwise you will learn the hard way with a cracked wheel arch. When you are fitted your LBS should be cutting the seat post to size and cutting the corner off to minimize risk.

Quote:
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2018, 11:49 PM   #877
blueridge
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW Z4 35is

That is going to be an amazing trip. Beautiful scenery and the freedom of riding. Are you doing a bike tour from from destination to another or based in one location? Definitely need to share from pictures when you return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Pretty stoked to be headed to Italy for a week of riding in Tuscan country side. 6 days of riding with distances between 40 and 70 miles. Daily elevation will be around 3500ft. Should be rolling hills which can be loads of fun.

Just broke down the bike, cleaned it up and started packing it up. i've only logged about 210 miles since July 4th and 143 of that was just in the past 5 days. Not quite the ramp up i had hoped for, but traveling, MTBing and being sick has kept me off the road bike. I had planned on getting in a several weeks of 200+ miles leading up to this trip. We'll see how well i handle being thrown into the fire.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      09-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #878
slalomfever
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nardo Grey F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Quote:
Hell yeah!

Cut that steer tube before riding. haha
Haha. That was taken before it was shipped to me.

Here's an updated pic. Rode it for a few miles to check and test everything. Love my new bike!!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
M_Six16547.00
      09-09-2018, 08:37 PM   #879
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:

Here's an updated pic. Rode it for a few miles to check and test everything. Love my new bike!!!!
Looks awesome and with nice build/wheels.
      09-10-2018, 09:27 AM   #880
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Was wondering how you were going to pedal in the first pick
Appreciate 0