06-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #23
JustinGTP
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 MINI Paceman JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzav View Post
What's new? Already have that on my 2009 E91, in addition of the adaptive xénon lights.
They are more advanced on the LED lights.
'09 LCI 335i E90 in BSM over Oyster Dakota Leather, Manual, Sport, Navigation, Individual Audiophile, Executive, Active Steering, JB4 + MHD BEF, 335is Exhaust w/AWE Tuning Tips, AFE DCI, Euro Tails/Fog Light Switch, various painted and other OEM + mods, 19" M5 reps summer
'13 MINI Cooper S Paceman JCW R61in Light White & Black Roof/Mirror Caps/Sport Stripes, Loaded + Rare
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #24
JustinGTP
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 MINI Paceman JCW

Article needs to provide clarification.

It suggests that High Beam Assistant was not available until F30, where as it has been on other models, like E90/91.

Needs to differentiate the technology because by providing the F30 video, those are not the LED headlights and not the newest technology either, just high beams on or off.

2014 7er with LED headlights and highbeam assistant is an entirely new animal because of the features it shows in the first video.
'09 LCI 335i E90 in BSM over Oyster Dakota Leather, Manual, Sport, Navigation, Individual Audiophile, Executive, Active Steering, JB4 + MHD BEF, 335is Exhaust w/AWE Tuning Tips, AFE DCI, Euro Tails/Fog Light Switch, various painted and other OEM + mods, 19" M5 reps summer
'13 MINI Cooper S Paceman JCW R61in Light White & Black Roof/Mirror Caps/Sport Stripes, Loaded + Rare
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #25
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinGTP
Article needs to provide clarification.

It suggests that High Beam Assistant was not available until F30, where as it has been on other models, like E90/91.

Needs to differentiate the technology because by providing the F30 video, those are not the LED headlights and not the newest technology either, just high beams on or off.

2014 7er with LED headlights and highbeam assistant is an entirely new animal because of the features it shows in the first video.
No. The video of my car there is not the greatest but the HBA in the UK F30 is not just on/off. It's unbelievably finely controlled and infinitely variable to the conditions. It even can create an unlit box around the car in front whilst it puts both Xenon's to high beam around it for maximum visibility whilst not blinding the driver in front. I need to capture more video soon but it is amazingly stupidly fantastically good!!!! Absolutely astonishes any passengers I have onboard and to be honest, it does me every time and a year on - it still hasn't lost it's novelty!
Aside from engine/Sport Auto Trans, definitely one of my favourite features on the car!! I mean properly mind blowingly awesome.

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #26
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
I dont need a high beam assist that favors the car in front of me. When the high beams on, I need the it to speak out the right message, "MOVE OVER".
      06-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #27
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

All these fancy adaptive things will just lead to more issues in the future. I've had 3 cars with auto headlights and my parents have a 3 series with the high beam assist. Not a single one has lasted the distance. They all start fine initially but after a year or two they start to turn on for no reason, don't turn off when they should or not turn on when they should. At least in my golf they replaced the sensor. With the other 3 BMWs they just say it works and refuse to fix it under warranty when there clearly are issues. I'm happy I don't have high beam assist. Whenever I drive my parents car and I need to turn on the high beams I need to click it twice to turn it on because even on a pitch black road it won't turn on the high beams automatically at all. It's rubbish...
      06-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #28
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

That has got to be some if the coolest lighting technology I have seen on a car. My A6 had the adaptive lights then my E90 and E70. But this tops it.
      06-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #29
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop
All these fancy adaptive things will just lead to more issues in the future. I've had 3 cars with auto headlights and my parents have a 3 series with the high beam assist. Not a single one has lasted the distance. They all start fine initially but after a year or two they start to turn on for no reason, don't turn off when they should or not turn on when they should. At least in my golf they replaced the sensor. With the other 3 BMWs they just say it works and refuse to fix it under warranty when there clearly are issues. I'm happy I don't have high beam assist. Whenever I drive my parents car and I need to turn on the high beams I need to click it twice to turn it on because even on a pitch black road it won't turn on the high beams automatically at all. It's rubbish...
The very reason I always skip that option when I am purchasing.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #30
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

You all know everyone hates BMW lighting to begin with right? They pioneered the idea of blinding every other driver on the road. Now they are patenting the idea of blinding even more people due to drivers not knowing whether they have their high beams on or not? Excuse me for thinking that a more engaged and aware driver may actually be safer. All these drivers aids usually create even worse drivers then there already are.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 12:03 AM   #31
BPMSport
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
The dynamic spot was crazy! I totally want that.

The animals running out sort of looked like a video game (like the animals had a health meter bar at the bottom).

I was very impressed with the LED M6 headlights. They provide more visible light and don't really blind you even if you look directly at them. Lighting technology is only going to get more and more interesting. I can't fathom what cars will do in ten years.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 12:56 AM   #32
Dazzler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez 2007, 1M on order

Incorrect.

Quote:
BMW Intelligent Headlight Technology: High Beam Assistant

First introduced on the new BMW 7 Series (July 2012) as part of the optional Adaptive LED Headlights, this functionality is now also supported with Xenon headlights on all new BMW 3 Series Saloon and Touring models specified with a Visibility package.
This is factually wrong.

I have high beam assist on my 2007 e92 M3 with adaptive xenons.

High beam assist - which is the title of this thread is not new. The LED lights dynamically splitting around cars it is what is new.

Please correct the title of the opening post to something like "BMW Intelligent Headlight Technology: Adaptive High Beam Assistant"

Last edited by Dazzler; 06-03-2013 at 08:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #33
Dazzler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez 2007, 1M on order

A comment on high beam assist from someone that has been using it the past 5 years. It is a MUST HAVE option if you drive long distances at night. It means you never have to think about dipping your lights when on full beam for oncoming traffic, it allows you to concentrate so much more on the road.

You also don't have to think about dipping your lights when you come up to someone in front of you in the distance. By some wonder of technology the system can determine the two brake lights in front from about 2-3 km ahead, and it dips the high beam accordingly. Best option ever for night driving safety.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 01:35 AM   #34
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Enjoy it because here in North America we are not so luck as you clearly are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
A comment on high beam assist from someone that has been using it the past 5 years. It is a MUST HAVE option if you drive long distances at night. It means you never have to think about dipping your lights when on full beam for oncoming traffic, it allows you to concentrate so much more on the road.

You also don't have to think about dipping your lights when you come up to someone in front of you in the distance. By some wonder of technology the system can determine the two brake lights in front from about 2-3 km ahead, and it dips the high beam accordingly. Best option ever for night driving safety.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 03:04 AM   #35
J Lau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46, E82 ,E89, G30

Amazing!
      06-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #36
Accelerometer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvega702 View Post
Do you mind telling us what the law is preventing us from getting this version of adaptive headlight? I'm very interested
It is an old US DOT regulation from 1968:
"Each vehicle must have a means of switching between lower and upper beams
designed and located so that it may be operated conveniently by a simple
movement of the driver’s hand or foot. The switch should have no dead point
and, except as provided by S6.1.5.2 of FMVSS No. 108, the lower and upper
beams must not be energized simultaneously except momentarily for temporary
signaling purposes or during switching between beams."

All the major auto manufacturers are busy lobbying to change it but the sequester has really slowed things down in DC.