BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

05-06-2023, 10:16 AM   #1
Broaders
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

PPF of door sill?

Hi All

Has anyone applied a PPF to the door sill of their i8?

My driver side is looking like it’s starting to scratch where my feet swing across.

I bought some generic PPF but it’s too stiff to stick to the highly contoured sill. Wondering if anyone had any more success and if so what product? How does it look?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 08:43 PM   #2
Budget M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broaders View Post
Hi All

Has anyone applied a PPF to the door sill of their i8?

My driver side is looking like it’s starting to scratch where my feet swing across.

I bought some generic PPF but it’s too stiff to stick to the highly contoured sill. Wondering if anyone had any more success and if so what product? How does it look?

Cheers.
Even the pros have a hard time making a good quality PPF stick to this area due to the finish already built into the plastic. I was able to get a matte finish PPF from Hexis to stick to the emblem/insert which has a smoother finish, but not the rest of the sill.
Attached Images

'85 M635CSi Alpine w/buffalo; '03 M3 Conv, Imola
‘85 323i Baur; ‘02 X5 4.6is Estoril; ‘95 Racing Dynamics K30.4
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 01:23 AM   #3
Broaders
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Thanks Budget M3, that makes me feel a lot better. I will keep looking for something I think will give some protection that I can fit myself but it’s good to know I should not be expecting to get a perfect finish!

Cheers,
Broaders.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 04:56 PM   #4
dragonsdreams
Private
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broaders View Post
Thanks Budget M3, that makes me feel a lot better. I will keep looking for something I think will give some protection that I can fit myself but it’s good to know I should not be expecting to get a perfect finish!

Cheers,
Broaders.
This has come up on an i8 forum before. A few people have successfully used a carbon fibre patterned wrap.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 02:02 PM   #5
sdsurf86
Rep
Drives: bmw i8

I bought a very nice looking carbon fiber wrap roll from Amazon for about 10 bucks and after learning how shockingly easy it is to do a wrap job I’m literally anything I’m not only wrapped that portion of my car but I also did the exterior and most of the interior trim. It’s a fun hobby, a little time consuming but if you’re familiar with meditation it’s a great way to have some alone time with your thoughts
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 07:17 AM   #6
thesubmitter
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 BMW i8 Acura MDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsurf86 View Post
I bought a very nice looking carbon fiber wrap roll from Amazon for about 10 bucks and after learning how shockingly easy it is to do a wrap job I’m literally anything I’m not only wrapped that portion of my car but I also did the exterior and most of the interior trim. It’s a fun hobby, a little time consuming but if you’re familiar with meditation it’s a great way to have some alone time with your thoughts
Share the link and technique and pics?
Appreciate 0