BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

05-24-2023, 09:54 PM   #1
Matchaboutnothing
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw ix

Projected range questionable?

Can someone explain to me why the projected range is higher than the "max" value? Which value would you trust if you were to go on a road trip? 🫣😁 TYIA
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 10:34 PM   #2
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Yes, the max is the more realistic based on your historical data. The current is based on maybe this trip, and could include things like an extended downhill stretch or some short term optimistic data.

That’s actually why I like this view because it gives a more realistic band of range you could hit in best and worst case, and which way you’re trending at any moment based on conditions.

It’s always possible your historical data is really bad or inaccurate (like mine was the first week I took the ski rack and winter tires off).
Appreciate 2
deutsch1003942.00
darylp310951.50
      05-25-2023, 07:50 AM   #3
Matchaboutnothing
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Yes, the max is the more realistic based on your historical data. The current is based on maybe this trip, and could include things like an extended downhill stretch or some short term optimistic data.

That’s actually why I like this view because it gives a more realistic band of range you could hit in best and worst case, and which way you’re trending at any moment based on conditions.

It’s always possible your historical data is really bad or inaccurate (like mine was the first week I took the ski rack and winter tires off).
Your last sentence is interesting. Is the historical data continuously being updated and changing? I think once the warmer weather rolled around, my projected range has always been higher than the max. I got the car around December so it's possible that it has a huge impact on the accuracy.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 08:01 AM   #4
venom21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW IX50 Tesla MYP Prev: 530e

In EVs never pay attention to the range estimate, just the battery percentage.
Appreciate 3
deutsch1003942.00
Pictor1646.50
      05-25-2023, 11:30 AM   #5
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchaboutnothing View Post
Your last sentence is interesting. Is the historical data continuously being updated and changing? I think once the warmer weather rolled around, my projected range has always been higher than the max. I got the car around December so it's possible that it has a huge impact on the accuracy.
In my experience it evens out over time. Although I’m not certain if it only takes long trips into account or something like that. Just that your current range is more reactive to current conditions than the min/max view.

This is really apparent for me because I live on a hill. I can drive for 20 minutes in one direction and it has a gentle downward slope that makes the car start to estimate range high. Then going back home it evens out. While the estimated vehicle range changes somewhat over a single trip, the min/max band isn’t as quick to change. This view also makes it obvious when the range estimate is optimistic/pessimistic compared to the previous data, which is why I find it such a useful view.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 11:32 AM   #6
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by venom21 View Post
In EVs never pay attention to the range estimate, just the battery percentage.
You need a bit of both, which is what this view is trying to help with. It does no good to know that I have 100% battery if I don’t also know that the car consumes 10% battery per mile.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15556.00