05-17-2023, 04:17 PM   #1
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60, Macan Turbo

Apple Maps EV Routing

Your move BMW: Porsche Taycan Gets Apple Maps EV Routing In Apple CarPlay In US

https://insideevs.com/news/667774/po...apple-carplay/

Hopefully we get this before BMW abandon iDrive 8 completely.
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 2
      05-17-2023, 04:58 PM   #2
darylp310
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Garage List
2023 BMW iX50  [0.00]
This is great. I’m sure it’s just a matter of time before we get this on BMW too. Looks like the programming APIs are all there already!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 05:20 PM   #3
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep

I have noticed that the CarPlay UI shows a message when the BMW SoC hits 5%. So there is already some integration going on.
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 06:45 PM   #4
darylp310
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX50  [0.00]
Yes. I noticed some surprising BMW <-> Apple Maps integration this past weekend when I was testing out a low battery state. Here’s the message I was surprised to see.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
JonoNZ676.50
camerbmw154.00
      05-17-2023, 10:31 PM   #5
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoNZ View Post
I have noticed that the CarPlay UI shows a message when the BMW SoC hits 5%. So there is already some integration going on.
Lol @jonoNZ living on the edge there driving to only 5%
      05-17-2023, 11:29 PM   #6
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
Lol @jonoNZ living on the edge there driving to only 5%
Haha, 5% is not a problem, was rather pleased with myself - that was after a 776km road trip and arrived home with 5%! There was a charge along the way though.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 07:35 AM   #7
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Haha, 5% is not a problem, was rather pleased with myself - that was after a 776km road trip and arrived home with 5%! There was a charge along the way though.
My worst was 9% when I was coming home from the dealership 4 hours away after taking delivery. I learned a valuable lesson about halfway back realizing that I wasn’t going to make it home at my current pace. FYI, there are “ZERO” non-Tesla charging stations between Corpus Christi and Houston that aren’t level 2 chargers at a hotel. #LessonLearned
Appreciate 1
ggalanis2439.00
      05-18-2023, 07:58 AM   #8
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
My worst was 9% when I was coming home from the dealership 4 hours away after taking delivery. I learned a valuable lesson about halfway back realizing that I wasn’t going to make it home at my current pace. FYI, there are “ZERO” non-Tesla charging stations between Corpus Christi and Houston that aren’t level 2 chargers at a hotel. #LessonLearned
To pass through some fast chargers you would have to take a longer route (37.5 miles longer than the Google maps route), so doable but not the most convenient and not useful if you realised it halfway through the "normal" route.

This is why I always tell people to actually think about the trips they are likely to take in their EV because you'd be surprised by how some areas are poorly served by fast charging infrastructure, like between your two cities in Texas. (Not directed at you since it was maybe a 1 time drive for you)

The real question is what what would the BMW nav have suggested (I looked at it in abrp) and what would say Apple Maps since that's the main topic of this thread. Even when infrastructure exists, it is all but useless if they can't be located and used by the nav system you prefer using. So does Apple maps provide a decent list of ev chargers? Will it finally be the one app that shows them all?
Appreciate 2
      05-18-2023, 08:15 AM   #9
grueber
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50 2023

I used to be a Waze user >95% time before my iX. Now I use Apple Maps >95% because of how it integrates with my iX. Carplay is up most of the time while I drive my iX. The only times I use iDrive 8 is to turn on air recirculation, parking cam, or max battery charge.

I can see why the car makers are terrified of Apple and Google now.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 10:36 AM   #10
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
To pass through some fast chargers you would have to take a longer route (37.5 miles longer than the Google maps route), so doable but not the most convenient and not useful if you realised it halfway through the "normal" route.

This is why I always tell people to actually think about the trips they are likely to take in their EV because you'd be surprised by how some areas are poorly served by fast charging infrastructure, like between your two cities in Texas. (Not directed at you since it was maybe a 1 time drive for you)

The real question is what what would the BMW nav have suggested (I looked at it in abrp) and what would say Apple Maps since that's the main topic of this thread. Even when infrastructure exists, it is all but useless if they can't be located and used by the nav system you prefer using. So does Apple maps provide a decent list of ev chargers? Will it finally be the one app that shows them all?
First EV, first trip. I had no idea WTF I was doing at the time. I left with plenty of range until I started driving 85+ mph. Then I had to slow down to make it back without charging.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2023, 10:37 AM   #11
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post

Aircraft equivalent - many new pilots have discovered you can land in a place where you can't take off again. . A somewhat more problematic understanding than the realization that you don't have enough charge to get you home.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 03:56 PM   #12
paulfree17
Rep
Drives: BMW IX, BMWX5

Garage List
2023 BMW IX  [0.00]
Navigation With or Without Car-Play

We just got back from a 600 mile road trip. I used Waze and some of the EV Mapping services through car-play and I also turned off Car-Play and used the native BMW Nav system. My question is can I keep car play enabled for Music, Messages, Phone etc but not use the Iphone Apps for Navigation? The CarPlay maps do not show in the HUD which I find very useful when navigating.

I always liked WAZE on my ICE cars but the routing it suggests for finding a charging station is horrible. It looks for the nearest charging station even if it is 20 miles in the opposite direction you are travelling.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 04:10 PM   #13
grueber
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfree17 View Post
We just got back from a 600 mile road trip. I used Waze and some of the EV Mapping services through car-play and I also turned off Car-Play and used the native BMW Nav system. My question is can I keep car play enabled for Music, Messages, Phone etc but not use the Iphone Apps for Navigation? The CarPlay maps do not show in the HUD which I find very useful when navigating.

I always liked WAZE on my ICE cars but the routing it suggests for finding a charging station is horrible. It looks for the nearest charging station even if it is 20 miles in the opposite direction you are travelling.
Apple Maps is the only iOS nav where directions appear in the HUD. I used to be a diehard Waze user but have switched over to Apple Maps since I got my iX. Routing is pretty good and it will consider HOV and paid express lanes when routing.

Waze is still the best when it comes to speed trap alerts.
Appreciate 3
      05-27-2023, 05:45 PM   #14
darylp310
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX50  [0.00]
Me too. I’ve switched from Waze to Apple Maps since getting my iX. It’s just too convenient to have the routing info in the HUD and the map itself available in the drivers side display!
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2023, 09:31 PM   #15
NoClosedDoors
Metal Mover
Rep
Drives: Demo Car

Garage List
Quote:
I’ve gotten down to 3%. Pretty darn impressed with the range on these cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 10:03 PM   #16
10dot
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model X, BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by grueber View Post
Apple Maps is the only iOS nav where directions appear in the HUD. I used to be a diehard Waze user but have switched over to Apple Maps since I got my iX. Routing is pretty good and it will consider HOV and paid express lanes when routing.

Waze is still the best when it comes to speed trap alerts.
One of my only outstanding questions was if car play nav worked with the HUD. I already prefer Apple Maps because of the haptic notifications on my watch so this is awesome news!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 10:14 PM   #17
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfree17 View Post
FYI, you don’t have to disable CarPlay to use the BMW Nav system. They can coexist.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 08:05 PM   #18
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
FYI, you don’t have to disable CarPlay to use the BMW Nav system. They can coexist.
I won't have my M60 for awhile, but this is very interesting to me, as I may want to enable CarPlay and BMW Nav. How, exactly, does one set that up?

Also, while I'm at it, if one remains completely in the native BMW environment, can one easily see and respond to incoming iMessages?
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 08:33 PM   #19
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
I won't have my M60 for awhile, but this is very interesting to me, as I may want to enable CarPlay and BMW Nav. How, exactly, does one set that up?

Also, while I'm at it, if one remains completely in the native BMW environment, can one easily see and respond to incoming iMessages?
Remember the CarPlay it’s just an application running on top of iDrive. You can toggle between it and anything else whenever you want to. This is nothing new for BMW or any other manufacturer.

Sometimes I prefer using one map over the other. You don’t have to enable or disable anything.
Appreciate 2
      05-28-2023, 08:39 PM   #20
darylp310
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX50  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post

Yes, as long as you aren't active running a navigation route via Apple Maps, Waze, or Google Maps, BMW Nav will remain the default navigation system. As soon as you start a navigation with any of those apps the system will flip over to CarPlay Nav.

On my way home today I was listening to podcasts, and responding to text messages via Carplay but was using BMW Nav to direct me to the nearest Electrify America charger. I do this all the time no problem.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2024, 04:18 PM   #21
HybridLA
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylp310 View Post
Yes. I noticed some surprising BMW <-> Apple Maps integration this past weekend when I was testing out a low battery state. Here’s the message I was surprised to see.
I'd love to integrate Apple Maps with access to battery level. Any idea how you did it? Dying for a guide to set mine up.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 04:44 PM   #22
darylp310
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX50  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridLA View Post
I'd love to integrate Apple Maps with access to battery level. Any idea how you did it? Dying for a guide to set mine up.

Thanks.
Sadly I never saw much more than that. BMW needs to work harder to catch up with Ford and Porsche with their Apple Maps EV integration. We’ve all been patient for almost a year waiting for something!
Appreciate 0