05-23-2023, 10:48 AM   #23
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimpy View Post
Interesting. Most people disagree with you.
It is very normal that there is disagreement as our ears are all different and we all have different styles we like and different expectations. The perceived quality of the system is relative. If that Tesla sound system was noticeably better than the HK in the iX, then it is normal to feel like HK is not good. In my own case, I was disappointed to not be able to order the B&W but I was pleasantly surprised by the HK once I got my car as the combination of the sound system and the better noise insulation made it sound about as good as the B&W in my X5. Maybe the X5 B&W system was actually better but to my ears, it sounds close enough to what I had that it didn't feel like a step down which was what I was expecting.
Appreciate 3
deutsch1003943.50
darylp310951.50
SGiXers602.00
      05-23-2023, 12:23 PM   #24
darylp310
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Garage List
2023 BMW iX50  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
The HK sucked compared to the 9 year old system in my Model S. It just didn't rock it for me. The B&W, on the other hand, is amazing!
NomoTesla did you have a custom install in your Tesla or are you talking about the standard one? I had a 2022 Model X and I must admit that the stereo was excellent. The problem was that over 40 mph or so the car noise started interfering with the music and I had to make the volume louder and louder to compensate. I had to be at level 10 or 11 when on the freeway
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 01:13 PM   #25
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Any system can be defective (speakers, connectors, amp), but with measured uncompressed test music files the HK system objectively is very good, comparable to other mid-high end systems I've owned and heard (B&O, Bose, ML), and certainly well above average for in-car audio. Top end (Meridian, Burmester, Naim) are best compared to the B&W, which is as good or better than any high end system I've heard, including some in-home audio. The quiet interior of the iX particularly highlights the quality of a top system, and its flaws, and the B&W holds its own against any best-quality car audio system IMO.
Appreciate 4
deutsch1003943.50
darylp310951.50
jolaca24.00
SGiXers602.00
      05-27-2023, 06:35 AM   #26
Northeastern101
Private
Rep
Drives: XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastern101 View Post
That would be great. Thank you.

In the meantime if anybody else wants to post their settings it would be great to try out a different setup
Any of you audio heads have a chance to get some pictures of your audio settings? Will play around with it myself this weekend as well!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 10:01 PM   #27
10dot
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model X, BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylp310 View Post
NomoTesla did you have a custom install in your Tesla or are you talking about the standard one? I had a 2022 Model X and I must admit that the stereo was excellent. The problem was that over 40 mph or so the car noise started interfering with the music and I had to make the volume louder and louder to compensate. I had to be at level 10 or 11 when on the freeway
Was your Model X pre or post refresh? My 2023 has legit outstanding audio and the ANC built into the headrests actually does work (a little). In fact, one of the first options I asked the BMW dealer about for my iX was the upgraded audio (which is, to my ears and butt, better than the Tesla by a good margin). Even after messing with the settings the HK still sounded a little muddy and lacking in clarity compared to what I was used to.
Appreciate 1
NomoTesla2171.50
      05-27-2023, 11:06 PM   #28
darylp310
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX50  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10dot View Post
Was your Model X pre or post refresh? My 2023 has legit outstanding audio and the ANC built into the headrests actually does work (a little). In fact, one of the first options I asked the BMW dealer about for my iX was the upgraded audio (which is, to my ears and butt, better than the Tesla by a good margin). Even after messing with the settings the HK still sounded a little muddy and lacking in clarity compared to what I was used to.
I think we are in agreement. I had a 2022 Tesla Model X post-refresh. Indeed the audio system was fantastic. I loved listening to music in my Tesla. However, when I was at highway speeds, the rest of car: wind noise, tire noise, and various other rattling got in the way of the music. That was too bad, otherwise it was an amazing car. So I had to boost the music volume up to 10 or 11 to drown out the other noises. I loved speeding down Pacific Coast Highway at 90 mph listening to Metallica! In my Tesla it was fun and exhilarating, but in my iX it's much more calm and luxurious. I can enjoy the same rock music at half the volume and thoroughly enjoy it!!
Appreciate 2
deutsch1003943.50
10dot9.00
      05-28-2023, 10:13 AM   #29
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Accurate sound reproduction is semi-objective and quantifiable - how closely, for example, a concert listening experience, without speakers and wires intervening, is translated to the human ear in a given space with sound reproduction equipment, and without instruments and an orchestra. Audiophiles generally regard the proximity of these experiences as "quality" - the closer the audio equipment reproduces the original experience, the better quality of the system reproducing the experience. Note that the definition depends on both the listening space and the audio source - with and without intervening equipment. The B&W system meets this definition of "quality" (the higher end), in space (the iX) and equipment. The HK system is - somewhat - close.

"Quality" however, is not as objective a definition as defined above - because it depends on what an individual thinks "quality" is, to their ears. Quality for some is a system that has speakers that will melt rocks from the equivalent of the nosebleed seats in the Paris La Defense Arena. For some it might be a system that goes to 11 on every EQ channel without blowing off the dash. For some, a system that makes Taylor Swift sound good. No, scratch that. Doesn't exist. Point is, quality can be very subjective, and aside from rattling speakers, clipped high notes or fuzzy base from a defective install, most average Joe listeners consider the iX space a very good audio space to be with either mid (HK) or high (B&W) equipment riffing Hotel California cruising down a dark desert highway....
Appreciate 4
Bevforme130.00
deutsch1003943.50
jolaca24.00
      05-29-2023, 11:31 PM   #30
10dot
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model X, BMW iX

Quote:
I think we are in agreement. I had a 2022 Tesla Model X post-refresh. Indeed the audio system was fantastic. I loved listening to music in my Tesla. However, when I was at highway speeds, the rest of car: wind noise, tire noise, and various other rattling got in the way of the music. That was too bad, otherwise it was an amazing car. So I had to boost the music volume up to 10 or 11 to drown out the other noises. I loved speeding down Pacific Coast Highway at 90 mph listening to Metallica! In my Tesla it was fun and exhilarating, but in my iX it's much more calm and luxurious. I can enjoy the same rock music at half the volume and thoroughly enjoy it!!
You're 100% right about the noise levels otherwise. One of the first things I noticed about the iX when we got on the highway was how unbelievably quiet it was.
Appreciate 1
darylp310951.50
      05-30-2023, 08:03 AM   #31
SGiXers
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW iX X drive40

Quote:
Any of you audio heads have a chance to get some pictures of your audio settings? Will play around with it myself this weekend as well!
I agree. Once a friend complained how bad his B&O Audi sound system was....he paid for a good system but the factory setting was all in a straight line from bass to mid to treble. I told him you might want to adjust those higher like a V or W shape settings. It works.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 08:49 AM   #32
Northeastern101
Private
Rep
Drives: XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGiXers View Post
I agree. Once a friend complained how bad his B&O Audi sound system was....he paid for a good system but the factory setting was all in a straight line from bass to mid to treble. I told him you might want to adjust those higher like a V or W shape settings. It works.
This is what I am struggling with. So it would be good to see a picture of how I should have the equalizer setup
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 09:38 AM   #33
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
This is what I am struggling with. So it would be good to see a picture of how I should have the equalizer setup
Most people will be happy with some variation of the settings below (V-shaped equalizer settings) taken from the X5 forum about the B&W in that car (sorry but my wife is at work with the iX at the moment). I had the B&W in my 2019 X5 and essentially ended up with a variant close to this setup myself.

Name:  image_2023-05-30_102706689.png
Views: 299
Size:  2.24 MB

BUT

you should use this as a starting point and tweak it to your liking using a uncompressed version of a song you know well and that is indicative of the type of music you listen to often.

I personally haven't played with the equalizer on my HK system in the iX because I find it sounds very good as is with the music I am listening to most of the time and didn't feel the need to tweak it yet. I'll give it a try over the weekend maybe and see if I like it better with a V-shape EQ setting or not.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15556.00
      05-30-2023, 09:58 AM   #34
SGiXers
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW iX X drive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
Most people will be happy with some variation of the settings below (V-shaped equalizer settings) taken from the X5 forum about the B&W in that car (sorry but my wife is at work with the iX at the moment). I had the B&W in my 2019 X5 and essentially ended up with a variant close to this setup myself

Attachment 3193208

BUT

you should use this as a starting point and tweak it to your liking using a uncompressed version of a song you know well and that is indicative of the type of music you listen to often.

I personally haven't played with the equalizer on my HK system in the iX because I find it sounds very good as is with the music I am listening to most of the time and didn't feel the need to tweak it yet. I'll give it a try over the weekend maybe and see if I like it better with a V-shape EQ setting or not.
Very close to what i set for myself too. I like it this way. The focus(focal point) is in the middle of the 2 front seats for my best setting. Thats my personal preferred.
Appreciate 1
ggalanis2448.00
      06-01-2023, 09:40 AM   #35
NomoTesla
Major
Rep

Quote:
I had the UHFS (Ultra High Fidelity Sound) upgrade on my 2013 Model S. Yes, the cabin noise was intolerable lol but that's a different issue lol
Appreciate 1
ggalanis2448.00
      06-01-2023, 09:43 AM   #36
NomoTesla
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
Most people will be happy with some variation of the settings below (V-shaped equalizer settings) taken from the X5 forum about the B&W in that car (sorry but my wife is at work with the iX at the moment). I had the B&W in my 2019 X5 and essentially ended up with a variant close to this setup myself.

Attachment 3193208

BUT

This is how I have my B&W equalized and it sounds terrific!
Appreciate 1
ggalanis2448.00
      06-29-2023, 11:42 AM   #37
Gurds7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340i xDrive M Sport

I would also be very interested to see some equalizer photos of the iX HK system. I just picked one up last week and I find the HK is very good. It is much better than any other HK system I've had, including on other recent BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 12:33 PM   #38
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurds7 View Post
I would also be very interested to see some equalizer photos of the iX HK system. I just picked one up last week and I find the HK is very good. It is much better than any other HK system I've had, including on other recent BMWs.
I'll try and snap a pic later today. If I am not mistaken, it is essentially the same as the one I posted of the X5 B&W system except I think I didn't bring the bass up as high in the iX.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 10:10 AM   #39
SouthFLGuy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW iX

I'm pretty picky about sound systems, and the HK sounds great.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 10:19 AM   #40
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurds7 View Post
Here you go.
Name:  IMG_20230630_105823.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  421.7 KB
Appreciate 0