Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

05-26-2023, 08:30 PM   #23
MagicianBE
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535i

For the adaptive headlights / anti-dazzle spec stuff, let's use Internet and pile up some demand. Go ahead and email bmwgenius@bmwusa.com your cars' last 7 vin and request that, pursuant to the Feb 7 NHSTA update, you're requesting BMW to enable the feature already available in hardware by recoding it in. I did for my 2022 IX.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 09:13 AM   #24
SGiXers
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW iX X drive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
When I was at my dealership yesterday playing around with their iX 50 demo, I noticed that a feature I would have liked to use was disabled in Canada.

This was the ability for the car to update the speed set on the cruise control automatically using pre-set offsets for up to 60 km/h speed limits and over 60km/h speed limits. When you went to the screen to configure these settings, it had a nice warning about it not being available in my country.

This along with the auto on/off high beams (as opposed to selectively blanking out parts of the high beams like in other parts of the world) are things that Canadian cars do not have (I know that you can maybe eventually do some coding to add them back in).

Are there others that you are aware of that are disabled likely a result of the build option S8TT "DECODING ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS II" that I see in the VIN dedcoder result for their car?
In Singapore we are not able to spec or tick the boxes of the equipment that we want. Its just not available because of the small numbers of cars sold involved. The dealership does not make this available.
I would die for soft closing doors(darn these doors are heavy for some), i have ladies not able to push the door shut with one attempt. The longer fingernails can scratch the door handle areas.
Does anyone know what is involved retrofitting the iX with soft closing mechanism?
It has been 3 weeks since i posed the question to my dealership but they have no answer what is involved in retrofitting.
Another feature is the Drive Assistant Plus( i have Drive Assistant professional). The traffic jam assist is not available in mine.
Thirdly, maybe iX doesnt have this yet. The Augmented reality superimposed in the centre instrument console. The 7 series has that. i7 too.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 09:45 AM   #25
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
It's been done in other models (soft close retrofit), so it's likely possible. Have not heard of one in the iX, and the main issue would probably be parts (assuming cost is no object). Also not a DYI project unless you have some experience:

Last edited by Paladin1; 05-29-2023 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 09:49 AM   #26
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
It's been done in other models (soft close retrofit), so it's likely possible. Have not heard of one in the iX, and the main issue would probably be parts (assuming cost is no object). Also not a DYI project unless you have some experience:

https://youtu.be/MUYLMtOX6AI
He would be better off buying a car in another country and shipping it over!
Appreciate 1
Paladin15556.00
      05-29-2023, 10:01 AM   #27
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGiXers View Post
Does anyone know what is involved retrofitting the iX with soft closing mechanism?
No idea specifically about this retrofit, but as with just about every kind of retrofit, if even possible for the dealer to do, it will very likely be prohibitively expensive. The labor involved with these kinds of things just make them insanely expensive relative to the cost of the option when ordering (if available).

Quote:
Thirdly, maybe iX doesnt have this yet. The Augmented reality superimposed in the centre instrument console. The 7 series has that. i7 too.
The iX does have this AR feature in the center display, and as of 2024, you can have it on the driver side instrument panel display. It is a cool idea, looks cool too, but I have it off on my car as I find I much rather keep the map on screen most of the time. I maybe would leave it on if it was displayed on the instrument panel like the 2024s can do.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 10:22 AM   #28
SGiXers
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post

Thanks for videos. Will forward it to the dealership team when i meet them face to face next week. Its definitely beyond my ability to even want to attempt this assuming i know the parts thats involved. The cost for the job.....lets see what they say. Afterall I've already paid USD$300K for my iX 40 here in Singapore might as well take the plunge and see if its worthwhile.
Appreciate 2
Paladin15556.00
darylp310951.50
      05-29-2023, 10:24 AM   #29
SGiXers
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
No idea specifically about this retrofit, but as with just about every kind of retrofit, if even possible for the dealer to do, it will very likely be prohibitively expensive. The labor involved with these kinds of things just make them insanely expensive relative to the cost of the option when ordering (if available).

The iX does have this AR feature in the center display, and as of 2024, you can have it on the driver side instrument panel display. It is a cool idea, looks cool too, but I have it off on my car as I find I much rather keep the map on screen most of the time. I maybe would leave it on if it was displayed on the instrument panel like the 2024s can do.
Yes, i have the AR in my centre display but not on the drivers side instruments panel. Well maybe like what you mentioned, some might not even use the AR there.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 10:27 AM   #30
SGiXers
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
He would be better off buying a car in another country and shipping it over!
I would if it doesn't cost me another USD$300K for an iX here in Singapore. The tax regime is absolutely nuts. We have a very outrageously expensive system in place to own private vehicles. What to do.
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2023, 11:00 AM   #31
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
I would die for soft closing doors(darn these doors are heavy for some)
The problem with soft close door is that no one else apart from you would use it.

My cars have had soft close door for the past 12 years, up till now, no one else in the family do the "soft close" except me despite repeated reminders until I gave up.

In the end, it's one of those "nice to have", and not worth the expense of retrofit.
Appreciate 7
Paladin15556.00
Bevforme130.00
SGiXers601.00
Bironf11.50
      05-29-2023, 11:01 AM   #32
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
The problem with soft close door is that no one else apart from you would use it.

My cars have had soft close door for the past 12 years, up till now, no one else in the family do the "soft close" except me

In the end, it's one of those "nice to have", and not worth the expense of retrofit.
Yep. Most people slam the door when they get out of my vehicles…
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 04:07 PM   #33
drbluedevil
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX60-2024

Garage List
The missing feature in America is a functional charging network.

I'm only half joking in saying this; although I never charge while away from home (I just don't have to) and haven't ever had to deal with the nightmare, my dad (who also has an iX) has needed to charge away from home a handful of times, and the experience has been terrible. To echo what's been said in these forums and in all the various media, what you see in the various apps doesn't match what you'll find at the charging station.

EA, as a particularly egregious example, frequently limits their 350 and even their 150 kW chargers to 50-ish kW "for safe operation" or whatever reason. At home for overnight charging, there's really no need for anything more than the 9.6 kW the car and mobile charger provide (and I could easily set it to a lower rate in my particular use case to further minimize battery stress). But if you're on the road and are actually needing to power up ASAP, you're likely to find yourself SOL and needing to spend quite a lot of time waiting.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2023, 08:22 PM   #34
SGiXers
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post

My cars have had soft close door for the past 12 years, up till now, no one else in the family do the "soft close" except me despite repeated reminders until I gave up.

Yes sometimes it true that many wont realise that the soft closing feature is there. Unless you have a family where ladies with fine manicure and seniors that needs the extra assistant when parked on a upward slope in closing the door.
Yep it strange thing about humans, we crave for what we don't have and its never ending.
Appreciate 1
mcl117.00
      05-30-2023, 02:27 AM   #35
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
In Germany you can't turn off daytime running lights unless the car is off. Next time they automatically turn on again. Lane Departure warning also always defaults to on regardless of previous drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 10:46 AM   #36
imacyclopath
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicianBE View Post
For the adaptive headlights / anti-dazzle spec stuff, let's use Internet and pile up some demand. Go ahead and email bmwgenius@bmwusa.com your cars' last 7 vin and request that, pursuant to the Feb 7 NHSTA update, you're requesting BMW to enable the feature already available in hardware by recoding it in. I did for my 2022 IX.
I did, too, and I got this very annoying reply basically passing any responsibility to the dealer, as if they are the ones deciding when/if BMW Canada/NA will remove the restriction they placed on existing hardware. In a world where we have to teach their “Geniuses” about features and issues, pointing to their ‘highly trained’ dealers reps sounded like a bad joke. Good thing they sent me the link to help find a dealer, because that was the real hurdle!

Thank you for contacting BMW Canada.

Please be advised that for all technical and mechanical assistance, we recommend speaking with the service department of your local BMW retailer. We assure you that our BMW field representatives are trained at the highest level to properly advise you about our vehicles. As such, they are in the best position to assist you with your anti dazzle headlight activation inquiry. Should you need it, you will find a complete listing of authorized retailers, categorized by name, region, or postal code, on our website at http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/general/deal...r/content.html. They will be in the best position to confirm your vehicle having the hardware necessary and if it is possible to activate this feature on your BMW iX. We hope you find this information helpful in referring you to the right resource for your inquiry.

If you have any further questions, please contact the Customer Interaction Centre at 1-800-567-2691. Again, thank you for contacting BMW.

Sincerely,

Seymira
BMW Canada
Appreciate 1
ggalanis2446.50
      05-31-2023, 10:51 AM   #37
imacyclopath
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX 50

Quote:
Afterall I've already paid USD$300K for my iX 40 here in Singapore might as well take the plunge and see if it’s worthwhile.
That is absolutely crazy!
Appreciate 1
darylp310951.50
      05-31-2023, 04:49 PM   #38
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacyclopath View Post
I did, too, and I got this very annoying reply basically passing any responsibility to the dealer,.....
That's a typical copy and paste replies. I bet "Seymira" has no clue what anti-dazzle headlights are; and she just copied and paste the standard replies without looking into it.

There is a glimmer of hope for Canada as Porsche and Mercedes now have full Anti-dazzle high beam. So this may put some pressure on BMW to offer the same. It is ridiculous that a C Class has this function while an i7 has this disabled in Canada.
There was an earlier post about possible anti-glare high beam activation in Canadian dealerships, but no dealers know anything about it, and I have not read any success story on it either.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 07:47 PM   #39
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicianBE View Post
I'm pretty sure that the US implemented a different set of rules and testing procedures than the EU. So it's not a simple matter of undisabling the software, BMW needs to get the system certified for use in the US first.

If BMW needs to make changes to the system (especially to the hardware) to make it US-legal, then they're not going to enable it on your existing car.

Anyway, doesn't BMW have a reputation of not adding new features to already-produced cars? They never advertised your iX as having anti-dazzle and they never said that it'd be enabled in the future if legally allowed. I'd bet they're not going to do it no matter how much you complain, even if they homologate the technology and have the capability to OTA load the US-spec headlight software onto your car (they're certainly not going to pay $$$ to have dealers do the update in person).
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 11:00 PM   #40
SGiXers
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacyclopath View Post
That is absolutely crazy!
A country where its the world most expensive place to own a car because there's no net growth in car population nationwide by control to limit traffic congestion. That is why many have only one car per household if at all. An iX40 cost about USD$300K and a Rolls Royce about USD$1.5million.
Best part is we can't decide what options we want on our rides. And I have no soft door closing. But all being said, we love our ride. It's serves our needs well. They could have removed seat heating and give us seat ventilation in our tropical country but no, you get heaters anyway.
Appreciate 1
darylp310951.50
      06-01-2023, 01:56 PM   #41
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYLR, BMW iX50

Quote:
A country where its the world most expensive place to own a car because there's no net growth in car population nationwide by control to limit traffic congestion. That is why many have only one car per household if at all. An iX40 cost about USD$300K and a Rolls Royce about USD$1.5million.
Best part is we can't decide what options we want on our rides. And I have no soft door closing. But all being said, we love our ride. It's serves our needs well. They could have removed seat heating and give us seat ventilation in our tropical country but no, you get heaters anyway.
How much of that is for the license plate as opposed to the vehicle itself? Are plates for EVs pricier for larger batteries or more powerful motors like they are for larger engines?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 04:10 PM   #42
SGiXers
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FultonMDUSA View Post
How much of that is for the license plate as opposed to the vehicle itself? Are plates for EVs pricier for larger batteries or more powerful motors like they are for larger engines?
There is a bi monthly bidding system to bid for a permit aka certificate of entitlement. Theres only a few hundred or so certificate every month for bididng. Supply is thus controlled. The ev depending on its power output is placed in the same category as other ice vehicles of similar output. Its presently about $80k USD for the certificate itself alone. The tax component is about 300% of the basic price of a car.
Appreciate 2