VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
Emphasis is mine, but I don't recall BMW ever making this promise. I understand that is what you and many others expected, but I'd love to see where BMW actually made the marketing claim that new features will be added. I don't recall ever seeing that anywhere on the web site when I ordered my car.

What we presume to be true and what is actually represented may be two different things. A new platform does not mean it will deliver all of the things other competing platforms are delivering.

As far as Carplay is concerned, it's nice that BMW supports it but I never find myself using it. Maybe I should give it a try. As far as Carply 2 is concerned, we need to actually see what it is. GM is phasing out all carplay support so there may be an industry shift going on.
I used to work for General Motors corporate for 3 years, and I personally don’t understand this move. It’s pissed a lot of people off (including many of my previous GM colleagues). CarPlay 2 is a completely integrated system, so not just an app. You can read more here:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/n...-2022-preview/
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 01:46 PM   #112
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Emphasis is mine, but I don't recall BMW ever making this promise. I understand that is what you and many others expected, but I'd love to see where BMW actually made the marketing claim that new features will be added. I don't recall ever seeing that anywhere on the web site when I ordered my car.

What we presume to be true and what is actually represented may be two different things. A new platform does not mean it will deliver all of the things other competing platforms are delivering.
This is the same sentiment i was trying to get across in another thread found here. In a nutshell, BMW is still partly to blame for it for using purposely vague language in their statements (IMHO) but the rest is because people made assumptions.

Quote:
As far as Carplay is concerned, it's nice that BMW supports it but I never find myself using it. Maybe I should give it a try.
I am happy that they give us the choice if we want to use Carplay/AA but to me they make more sense in low end vehicles that lack their own nav system. My current biggest issue with Android Auto is that google maps is constantly running/updating/downloading in the background, draining my phone battery even though I am not using it for nav. I prefer the look of BMW maps even if they seem simple, I find they are very functional and provide the function with minimal extra useless fluff on screen. Also, the inability of google maps to actually be full screen (maybe they have addressed this since I last tried it) bothered me quite a bit more than it probably should have.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 02:24 PM   #113
grueber
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50 2023

I’ve used the BMW nav once to test. I’ve never used it since. Seems to be a waste of money and time for car companies to develop their own nav when apple and google have a much larger base of users to develop for.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 02:32 PM   #114
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
I prefer BMW nav for its integration into the OS - slows down at intersections, VR, etc., but find it's not nearly as good as Google Maps for actually finding a place and navigating to it - either through voice commands or screen input - and Google is always more up-to-date with road construction and traffic conditions. If I'm just going to a place I know (and I use it mainly for traffic), I'll use BMW. If I really need to find a place I've never been, I'll use Google. And it displays full screen fine for me (meaning across the width of the screen minus the menu), or divided in several ways depending on how I set it:

Appreciate 1
ggalanis2446.50
      05-31-2023, 02:45 PM   #115
Louis_BE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX

Quote:

As far as Carplay is concerned, it's nice that BMW supports it but I never find myself using it. Maybe I should give it a try. As far as Carply 2 is concerned, we need to actually see what it is. GM is phasing out all carplay support so there may be an industry shift going on.
The navigation app of BMW is crap, luckily there is CarPlay support, would never have bought this car without it. I knew that full CarPlay is not coming to BMW, they want to keep control and monetize on software, but dropping support so quickly (like bought a car less than 6 months ago and left behind) and going Android Automotive will make me move to Audi/Porsche. My personal opinion and I’m sure other people could not care less …

They stated this was a car able to get OTA updates getting new features, they could have mentioned that it was only bug fixes, but I do understand that marketing would have vetoed that.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2023, 03:05 PM   #116
darylp310
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Garage List
2023 BMW iX50  [0.00]
Quote:
As far as Carplay is concerned, it's nice that BMW supports it but I never find myself using it. Maybe I should give it a try.
As a person also coming from a Tesla with no CarPlay it took some getting used to. But I think you'll find CarPlay to be quite handy, especially if you use Apple Maps for navigation.

Quote:
As far as Carply 2 is concerned, we need to actually see what it is. GM is phasing out all carplay support so there may be an industry shift going on.
I think you are spot on with this prediction. There is an industry shift going on. My educated guess is that most auto manufacturers are going to skip CarPlay2 because Apple has too many licensing restrictions about how private data is stored, and this won't work for most auto manufacturers that want/need to collect driver data to improve their products. This dogmatic Apple approach to privacy has already hurt many 3rd party partners in the iOS mobile app development world, so the automotive CarPlay world are now feeling this same pain.
Appreciate 1
NomoTesla2167.00
      05-31-2023, 03:11 PM   #117
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Well considering bmws own press realse freely uses the words *new features* one would assume that inlcudes big OS updates also and not turning a not even 6 months old cars infotainment system to e waste one would think new features means keeping their cars updated including new OS so BMW messed up here and they know it does it mean they care? No we bought the cars under assumption they would keep getting new stuff including OS and now they are scrapping the idea its not like they dint know they were going to change hardware so fast after realse, they should have done it right from start. If they are going to market the cars OTA like they do then step up your game BMW and dont make cars systems obsolete in less then 6 months after release.

*Additional features and enhancements for certain models*

For the BMW iX, customers can stop charging and unlock the charging cable lock via the My BMW App.

BMW iX, BMW Active Tourer and BMW X1 with the optional Parking Assistant (SA 5DM) receive active steering assistance when reversing with a coupled trailer.

Some vehicles, such as the BMW 7 Series (2022) or the new BMW X1 (2022), feature the new My Mode “Digital Art” after the remote software upgrade.

Customers of the BMW X7 in the USA and Canada can look forward to a modern light graphic of the direction indicator.*

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...de?language=en

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 03:23 PM   #118
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYLR, BMW iX50

“Always Fresh” with Remote Software Upgrades, app updates and Functions on Demand.

The “Always Fresh” concept offers customers an intelligent combination of free Remote Software Upgrades, new vehicle apps and Functions on Demand that are available for a charge. This means the vehicle’s !

BMW Media Information

06/2021 Page 27 27!!273827B ! MW

!!

software is always kept up to date throughout its service life, improvements are made to its functions with some new functions added free of charge, and modifications can even be made to the installed features at a later time.

Since the introduction of BMW Operating System 7 in 2018, BMW drivers have been able to keep their vehicle up to date with the latest software at all times by means of the Remote Software Upgrade facility.

The BMW Group is one of the leading manufacturers in the field of over-the-air function upgrades. The new BMW Operating System 8 further enhances the options for updating the in-car software and expanding its functions. New and improved functions can be imported quickly and easily over the air, either using the car’s built-in SIM card or via the My BMW App. Installation is subsequently launched by the customer and seldom takes longer than 20 minutes. Updated software is installed free of charge.

When a new Remote Software Upgrade is available, drivers will receive a notification together with accompanying information in the vehicle, on their smartphone in the My BMW App and, in future, from the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant too by means of a special widget on the control display. In the BMW iX, Remote Software Upgrade will now also offer the possibility of performing extremely complex and large software updates in areas such as driver assistance and partial automation, while additionally enabling drivers to schedule the installation process. For this, the vehicle must first be securely parked in accordance with the instructions. Installation can then be carried out automatically at a pre-set time – meaning it can be done overnight as well.

Thanks to Functions on Demand, vehicle functions that used to be only offered as factory-fitted optional extras are also available to purchase later from the BMW ConnectedDrive Store. BMW iX owners can then have them installed in their car over the air. BMW Operating System 8 provides the necessary framework for importing an even wider variety of extra functions into the vehicle at a later stage. At the same time, the product offering is being made more flexible, as customers will be able to decide whether they wish to buy a function outright or simply book it for a period of three years, twelve months or even just one month. Functions on Demand will be made available for the BMW iX from the middle of next year. Proactive, data-driven suggestions can be made via various channels based on either the customer’s individual requirements, !

BMW Media Information

06/2021 Page 28 28!!283828B ! MW

!!

preferences and vehicle settings or current conditions such as the weather.
Appreciate 3
Bevforme130.00
NomoTesla2167.00
      05-31-2023, 03:23 PM   #119
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
I prefer BMW nav for its integration into the OS - slows down at intersections, VR, etc., but find it's not nearly as good as Google Maps for actually finding a place and navigating to it - either through voice commands or screen input - and Google is always more up-to-date with road construction and traffic conditions. If I'm just going to a place I know (and I use it mainly for traffic), I'll use BMW. If I really need to find a place I've never been, I'll use Google. And it displays full screen fine for me (meaning across the width of the screen minus the menu), or divided in several ways depending on how I set it:

In previous versions you always lost about 1/4th of the screen to show you the music/time on the right side. I never found a way around it but they seem to have addressed it in a relatively recent update (which I vaguely remembered and is why I put my comment about it in my post). Still that left hand side not being used for the map bothers me.

I have disabled the VR on the BMW nav as I did not find it useful and it did have a tendency to slow down the UI. Most of the time I am driving to the same 10-20 places and just want a big, easy to read map on the screen. Around here, the BMW traffic is decent enough but to be fair, I do not drive the car regularly in rush hour traffic. If I am looking up a new place, odds are I am in my living room and doing that on my phone anyway. I'll find it, and copy paste the address in the bmw app to send to my car. The BMW voice commands are a running joke to us; the mix of English and French names does not jive well with it and half the time it finds a place 40 hours away and we all have a good laugh about it. But yes, the google maps is more up to date, gives better directions (they are the same as BMW most of the time), and the maps can look prettier, but as in your pic, all that satellite imagery is not useful when trying to take a quick glance at the map to find a street while driving. The maps need to be functional when driving, not pretty.

In the end, the best thing is that we can chose what we want to use. Having choices is what we should all want. I still think that BMW should continue to develop their own nav/infotainment, because their luxury car should work fine as a stand alone product, not require a phone to use. Similarly, phone as a key is great as an option for those who like using it, but they should still give you two key fobs.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15556.00
      05-31-2023, 03:26 PM   #120
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post
Well considering bmws own press realse freely uses the words *new features* one would assume that inlcudes big OS updates also
I will quickly point out that *new features* is definitely not the same as *new operating system* or *new idrive versions*.
Appreciate 2
deutsch1003942.00
darylp310951.50
      05-31-2023, 03:41 PM   #121
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
I will quickly point out that *new features* is definitely not the same as *new operating system* or *new idrive versions*.
This is me still waiting on these “new features.”
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
ggalanis2446.50
Bevforme130.00
deutsch1003942.00
Paladin15556.00
jolaca24.00
      05-31-2023, 04:34 PM   #122
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
This is me still waiting on these “new features.”
To be fair, the way i understood the whole new features thing is through the connected drive store. I.e. if you got your car in a market where you had to option the drive recorder and didn't, or it wasn't available when you bought the car initially, you could buy it and get it via an OTA update. To my knowledge, there hasn't been any new item in the store to add to our cars, but in other markets, or maybe for less well equipped models, there might be something there.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 04:53 PM   #123
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
To be fair, the way i understood the whole new features thing is through the connected drive store. I.e. if you got your car in a market where you had to option the drive recorder and didn't, or it wasn't available when you bought the car initially, you could buy it and get it via an OTA update. To my knowledge, there hasn't been any new item in the store to add to our cars, but in other markets, or maybe for less well equipped models, there might be something there.
I would gladly pay for a subscription upgrade to highway assistant. Our hardware certainly support it. It’s just a matter of changing the MPH limit and the corresponding maps. Definitely a feature I want.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 04:59 PM   #124
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
I would gladly pay for a subscription upgrade to highway assistant. Our hardware certainly support it. It’s just a matter of changing the MPH limit and the corresponding maps. Definitely a feature I want.
Be careful what you ask for, especially this subscription thing.
Mercedes and Polestar now deliberately cripple the performance on certain models, only to "unlock" it with subscription or one time fee. Do you wish that to come to BMW?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 05:03 PM   #125
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Be careful what you ask for, especially this subscription thing.
Mercedes and Polestar now deliberately cripple the performance on certain models, only to "unlock" it with subscription or one time fee. Do you wish that to come to BMW?
What do you mean? It’s already here.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2023, 05:55 PM   #126
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYLR, BMW iX50

Quote:
From BMW's 2021 BMW iX marketing materials:

"In the BMW iX, Remote Software Upgrade will now also offer the possibility of performing extremely complex and large software updates in areas such as driver assistance and partial automation"

If the above doesn't apply to an upgrade of Assist Plus from 40 mph to 85 mph, I don't know what would.
Appreciate 5
      05-31-2023, 05:58 PM   #127
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FultonMDUSA View Post
From BMW's 2021 BMW iX marketing materials:

"In the BMW iX, Remote Software Upgrade will now also offer the possibility of performing extremely complex and large software updates in areas such as driver assistance and partial automation"

If the above doesn't apply to an upgrade of Assist Plus from 40 mph to 85 mph, I don't know what would.
100% agree. The only subscriptions I have seen for the iX so far are for parking assistant plus (for those that had the lower tier) and the traffic camera feature. I do believe the new highway assistant feature uses a different map model which may be very sluggish on our existing headunits.
Appreciate 1
darylp310951.50
      06-01-2023, 03:00 AM   #128
SGiXers
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW iX X drive40

Quote:
Looks like my ‘23 M60. I really do ❤️this car.
I like this car too. Great color.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
rng106.00
Paladin15556.00
jolaca24.00
      06-01-2023, 09:40 AM   #129
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
In previous versions you always lost about 1/4th of the screen to show you the music/time on the right side. I never found a way around it but they seem to have addressed it in a relatively recent update (which I vaguely remembered and is why I put my comment about it in my post). Still that left hand side not being used for the map bothers me.

I have disabled the VR on the BMW nav as I did not find it useful and it did have a tendency to slow down the UI. Most of the time I am driving to the same 10-20 places and just want a big, easy to read map on the screen. Around here, the BMW traffic is decent enough but to be fair, I do not drive the car regularly in rush hour traffic. If I am looking up a new place, odds are I am in my living room and doing that on my phone anyway. I'll find it, and copy paste the address in the bmw app to send to my car. The BMW voice commands are a running joke to us; the mix of English and French names does not jive well with it and half the time it finds a place 40 hours away and we all have a good laugh about it. But yes, the google maps is more up to date, gives better directions (they are the same as BMW most of the time), and the maps can look prettier, but as in your pic, all that satellite imagery is not useful when trying to take a quick glance at the map to find a street while driving. The maps need to be functional when driving, not pretty.

In the end, the best thing is that we can chose what we want to use. Having choices is what we should all want. I still think that BMW should continue to develop their own nav/infotainment, because their luxury car should work fine as a stand alone product, not require a phone to use. Similarly, phone as a key is great as an option for those who like using it, but they should still give you two key fobs.
I suspect many or most manufacturers will eventually go to third party nav, because their infrastructure allows much more timely updates and crowd sourcing. I use AA about half the time probably, and actually I like access to other apps on the left of the screen, and I use satellite view generally because it shows real landmarks as well as streets, and expands automatically when you need it at intersections and turns. You can set the map to be a simple road map, like the native nav, and it works much like BMW's. And you guys up North don't get two key fobs?
Appreciate 1
ggalanis2446.50
      06-01-2023, 09:52 AM   #130
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
I suspect many or most manufacturers will eventually go to third party nav, because their infrastructure allows much more timely updates and crowd sourcing. I use AA about half the time probably, and actually I like access to other apps on the left of the screen, and I use satellite view generally because it shows real landmarks as well as streets, and expands automatically when you need it at intersections and turns. You can set the map to be a simple road map, like the native nav, and it works much like BMW's. And you guys up North don't get two key fobs?
The car companies already source their map/traffic data from other companies already. They should just get better/more expensive sources. I suspect that either Google Maps is either very expensive relative to the other providers or they don't offer it as a standalone product and want to force you into either AA or google automotive in order to get it.

We do get 2 key fobs from BMW, but there are other companies that don't and I don't want BMW to go down that road.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15556.00
      06-01-2023, 11:08 AM   #131
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
The car companies already source their map/traffic data from other companies already. They should just get better/more expensive sources.
Actually, BMW uses their own.
They use Here Technology, formerly NavTeq and Nokia Maps, currently co-owned by Audi, BMW and Mercedes.
You can see the Here logo when you go to the Map view in your My BMW App.
Appreciate 1
ggalanis2446.50
      06-01-2023, 12:15 PM   #132
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Actually, BMW uses their own.
They use Here Technology, formerly NavTeq and Nokia Maps, currently co-owned by Audi, BMW and Mercedes.
You can see the Here logo when you go to the Map view in your My BMW App.
Fair point, but I would still consider that a seperate company. But given that they have a controlling interest in that company, they aren't likely going to ditch them anytime soon.... That sucks for us.
Appreciate 2
deutsch1003942.00
Paladin15556.00