BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

09-29-2021, 09:09 AM   #23
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Really hate the grille and overall fussy front end but found myself really surprised at how attractive the rest of the car is. Wheels, side profile, etc. The front is just bad. There is no possible defense of it.

Very interesting interior materials though I do prefer physical buttons (and actually, so should everyone for safety reasons). The last thing we need is MORE disconnected non-drivers driving on the road. But yeah, definitely looking forward to more atypical/alternative materials in interiors, this car does it very well.

I would definitely get this over a Model X or even an X4. Not sure I'd pick it up over an X5.
      09-29-2021, 10:10 AM   #24
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Really hate the grille and overall fussy front end but found myself really surprised at how attractive the rest of the car is. Wheels, side profile, etc. The front is just bad. There is no possible defense of it.

Very interesting interior materials though I do prefer physical buttons (and actually, so should everyone for safety reasons). The last thing we need is MORE disconnected non-drivers driving on the road. But yeah, definitely looking forward to more atypical/alternative materials in interiors, this car does it very well.

I would definitely get this over a Model X or even an X4. Not sure I'd pick it up over an X5.
Agreed. That is the audience. At this point, if you haven't bought an X5, it's unlikely you'll get one. The iX is aimed at people who are buying SUVs like the Lexus RX (which outsells every other mid-sized luxury SUV in the US) and want to go to an EV, and directly aimed at the Tesla Model X. People like my wife who already drives a Tesla Model Y, but wanted one with more space and was considering ordering the Model X, when she saw the iX and immediately placed a pre-order.

Again, just anecdotal evidence but at my last visit to my local BMW dealer (which is a pretty large one) I was told that they have gotten a lot of interest in it, and so IMHO BMW should be optimistic from sales perspective...

This is to extend their SUV buyers beyond the X5. I bet they will have a fully electrified standard X5 (ala e45) at some point...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 10:11 AM   #25
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
From the R&T review:

"It’s not a grille, just a flat plastic panel, and one subjected to rocks and debris often enough that BMW’s engineers have had to coat it with a self-healing layer that repairs minor scratches in the presence of heat."

Why don't they just say there's a PPF application to the front grill. The way they have it mentioned makes it sound like the front grill uses some ground-breaking tech. Wonder if BMW ///Marketing has been feeding this BS to the magazines.

Other than that... love the interior. The exterior is weird but so was the i3. I would even consider one as a family hauler - but thinking we might be going X7 next.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
stefan2349.50
      09-29-2021, 10:49 AM   #26
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
I can't imagine why people are still buying Tesla stock with cars like this, the eTron, and Mercedes EVs coming out. It's not a classic BMW design, but it looks better than the Model X to me, especially the interior.

4.4 0-60 is plenty fast for the average soccer mom. I'm not ready for an EV, but I think BMW did a nice job here.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 11:38 AM   #27
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrzhp View Post
I can't imagine why people are still buying Tesla stock with cars like this, the eTron, and Mercedes EVs coming out. It's not a classic BMW design, but it looks better than the Model X to me, especially the interior.

4.4 0-60 is plenty fast for the average soccer mom. I'm not ready for an EV, but I think BMW did a nice job here.
I think the BMW is the worst looking of the bunch, but still a pretty cool car with great features and most importantly...competitive range.

I think Tesla will only continue to grow as does the demand for EV. They've been doing it better than anyone and now have a few notches on their built with satisfied clientele, the German's don't have that yet in this sector.
      09-29-2021, 11:56 AM   #28
FC05
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring Z3M Coupe

Talking about the design languages,
I don't think BMW recent days done it too badly though, i don't get that people feeling fine with Teslas' inside out and those Porsche SUVs' and thinking BMWs' are ugly I just don't get it.
      09-29-2021, 11:57 AM   #29
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

the grill debate is tired and pointless just another tool for the get off my lawn crowd to complain bmw is not making E46s anymore

I found the most interesting comments to be on the interior, rather the lack of hate for the new idrive system which features the two bigger screens and less physical buttons. I was curious if there would be complaints around not being able to adjust the hvac/radio etc but nothing seemed to jump out at first glance for most of the reviewers. I think that bodes well for the implementation on the series cars
Appreciate 1
PABrian149.50
      09-29-2021, 12:20 PM   #30
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
well, I think this looks better than Model X (though other than Model S I thought all the Tesla looked ugly...)

don't think I'm ready for electric just because NYC, a few years down the line with charging everywhere etc. I can definitely see myself getting the next gen of whatever might come
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 12:56 PM   #31
emtwo
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
seems like a trend these days. They seem to grow on you. Reminds me of the large amount of hate of the M3/4 and then once it came out a lot of those views changed.
What? The G8x still gets sh*t on forums, blogs, YT, social, comment sections. The design is hideous and remains hideous.
I like it just fine, thank you very much.

I will never understand the rationale both on here and pro car reviewers telling you how a car looks. Imagine people did that with dating. "No dude, she's got a big nose, don't go for her"

I love the new M3. I love how it feels when I drive it, and how it makes me feel. It's backordered at least 6 months, so BMW must be doing something right.

This iX looks like a futuristic X5, which is what it is. I'd love to add one to the stable when the time comes. Aside from the 2 GC, I can't think of a bad car they've recently made, based in on they drive. Not look.
People comment on other peoples looks all the time.

And no one is telling people not to buy a car because of its look. But they're perfectly entitled to give their opinion on if they think it's ugly or not.
Appreciate 2
3RDSECTOR486.50
Germanauto9698.00
      09-29-2021, 01:04 PM   #32
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtwo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
seems like a trend these days. They seem to grow on you. Reminds me of the large amount of hate of the M3/4 and then once it came out a lot of those views changed.
What? The G8x still gets sh*t on forums, blogs, YT, social, comment sections. The design is hideous and remains hideous.
I like it just fine, thank you very much.

I will never understand the rationale both on here and pro car reviewers telling you how a car looks. Imagine people did that with dating. "No dude, she's got a big nose, don't go for her"

I love the new M3. I love how it feels when I drive it, and how it makes me feel. It's backordered at least 6 months, so BMW must be doing something right.

This iX looks like a futuristic X5, which is what it is. I'd love to add one to the stable when the time comes. Aside from the 2 GC, I can't think of a bad car they've recently made, based in on they drive. Not look.
People comment on other peoples looks all the time.

And no one is telling people not to buy a car because of its look. But they're perfectly entitled to give their opinion on if they think it's ugly or not.
It's just not helpful, which was the original intent of an Internet forum. To each their own.
      09-29-2021, 01:05 PM   #33
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
I think the BMW is the worst looking of the bunch, but still a pretty cool car with great features and most importantly...competitive range.

I think Tesla will only continue to grow as does the demand for EV. They've been doing it better than anyone and now have a few notches on their built with satisfied clientele, the German's don't have that yet in this sector.
Agree on the looks. The iX doesn't look that great to me. I saw it in person and what surprised me the most actually is how large it is. It really is a Tesla Model X competitor.

Tesla sales will be fine. The Tesla Supercharger network is way ahead of what is available for the rest of EV's at the moment. I hope this changes in the next few years. It better change, given the government mandates that we all start driving EV's.
Appreciate 1
Game7374.00
      09-29-2021, 01:18 PM   #34
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
the grill debate is tired and pointless just another tool for the get off my lawn crowd to complain bmw is not making E46s anymore

I found the most interesting comments to be on the interior, rather the lack of hate for the new idrive system which features the two bigger screens and less physical buttons. I was curious if there would be complaints around not being able to adjust the hvac/radio etc but nothing seemed to jump out at first glance for most of the reviewers. I think that bodes well for the implementation on the series cars
I bet once you become familiar with the car and layout over a period of time that the lack of buttons is not a big deal. Interior really does look great in both design and quality, big leap forward imo
      09-29-2021, 01:25 PM   #35
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Each review I ve seen about the car makes me more and more impressed. First I think the car looks great, distinctly BMW icar. I love both the exterior and interior.

Every reviewer has been amazed at how quiet this car is, even at autobahn speeds. Sounds like it's pretty much S class level quietness. Then everyone has also had high praise about its ride quality. Arstechnical guy seems to say it's getting close to RR Ghost, if it's even somewhere close to that, the car is a total steal at 90k well equipped. You NEED an S class to be anywhere close to RR ride quality and this car would get you there for much less.

The other impressive thing is range. Carwow guy drove the car on mountainous roads, town, and mostly autobahn for over 220 km and based on simple calculation indicated that the car would be able to drive a real world range or over 550km or 340 miles, at mostly actual highway speeds. That just totally destroys any existing electric SUV!!

Basically you got a good looking car, amazing tech, great performance, best in class range, and above class refinement (ride quality and quietness)!?!?! Totally winner, a total steal at 90k. If this is what BMW can accomplish at this price range on an EV, then the future is definitely electric indeed!
Appreciate 5
PABrian149.50
yousefnjr6154.50
bmwdrive461.00
mat9146.50
      09-29-2021, 02:04 PM   #36
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PABrian View Post
...you do realize that there are DC fast chargers out there that aren't Electrify America, right? They aren't even the biggest network of DC fast chargers.

Here's a zoomed out map of DC fast charging locations excluding those from Electrify America and Electrify Canada. Still plenty...

Teslas do have a leg up in that they can use any Tesla charger as well as any non-Tesla charger, whereas non-Teslas can use everything except Tesla chargers (which is changing soon), but there are still so many chargers out there that many people don't realize exist, and every charging network out there is expanding as much as they can. As EVs and PHEVs become even more commonplace than they are, the charging network will grow to suit.
Also Tesla may need to open up supercharging to general public too.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 02:43 PM   #37
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
The biggest problem for me, other than the looks is that the non-Tesla EV's still suck in one big area: Charging. The Electrify America charging network is pitiful when it comes to reliability and service. Too many times are chargers broken or not in service, and if they are, they won't provide a consistent charge. Superchargers are much better integrated, easier to use, and more reliable, and because its built into the ecosystem provide many useful features such as being able to get live updates on open stalls, how busy the station is, as well as integration into the car's main navigation for the fastest route with charging.

For a daily sedan I probably wouldn't find this an issue, but for an SUV that would be used for road trips it would prove more difficult. Even my most recent trip to the beach 3-hours from my house would prove difficult, as our friends with an E-Tron who were meeting us there had to reroute twice after two failed EA chargers at different locations.
This.

In the U.K. it's almost insane to pick any EV other than T if your journey doesn't start and end at home charging.
      09-29-2021, 03:31 PM   #38
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
I bet once you become familiar with the car and layout over a period of time that the lack of buttons is not a big deal. Interior really does look great in both design and quality, big leap forward imo
Agree 100%, the last few gens of idrive have shown BMW UX/human interface designers generally know what they are doing.

However, i kinda expected some of the initial reactions from the press to be along the lines of what we see in the threads covering the G20 LCI spyshots
Appreciate 1
PABrian149.50
      09-29-2021, 04:17 PM   #39
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I'd put my $100k elsewhere.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2021, 05:58 PM   #40
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
For DC charging in the OC, and Bethany area, Electrify America is pretty much the only choice for fast DC charging outside of Tesla (who has 4 chargers in the area), and the closest one is either in Annapolis or Wilmington, none actually in Bethany or OC area. All chargers there are low output shopping mall chargers or hotel only chargers that are slow and made for overnight use.
Electrify America is US best fast charging network and it is a joke. Far from reliable. My buddy has a Taycan and is constantly complaining about their chargers. Rivian is smart they are copying Tesla's supercharger network, 3500 locations should be up by end of 2023.
Appreciate 2
      09-29-2021, 06:05 PM   #41
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Electrify America is US best fast charging network and it is a joke. Far from reliable. My buddy has a Taycan and is constantly complaining about their chargers. Rivian is smart they are copying Tesla's supercharger network, 3500 locations should be up by end of 2023.
Agree, my friend likes his E-Tron around town, but is thinking of simply renting for his next trip since that's his only "practical" vehicle he owns. I'm just shocked that in all of Bethany/OC there is not one single proper DC charger, meanwhile Tesla has four set up in the same region.
      09-29-2021, 07:40 PM   #42
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

I'd pick up Tesla just because of the infrastructure!

BMW is behind…..once they close the gap then I'll look at the grille next.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 01:30 AM   #43
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Well, I'm on my third BEV right now, and I'm not looking at second class drivetrain again.
I've owned a 16' i3, a 20' i3 and now enjoys a iX3, the next natural choice was the G05 PHEV, but no more! I love the i3 style and cabin feel inside the iX, and after these reviews, which have been great, iX er the new king, and the X5 is steping down sadly.
Appreciate 1
PABrian149.50
      09-30-2021, 03:42 AM   #44
fiftee50
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: -

Promising reviews indeed! Beauty is subjective, but the qualities such as real-world range, quietness, smoothness, comfort, acceleration etc all point to high quality product. The people buying this are getting something positively good. It's not a loud M SUV, and isn't meant to be. If someone test drives this and an X5 back-to-back, I think they'll be putting their cash on the iX if the charging infrastructure where is available.
Appreciate 0