05-18-2022, 04:32 PM   #89
UltimateMoneyShifter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW iX xDrive50

Car and Driver Tested: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...highway-range/

Some callouts:

1) Only a Bentley Bentayga, Rolls Royce Cullinan, 2020 Audi S8 and the Jagur I-Pace have tested quieter than the iX at speed. It is the quietest car they have tested under acceleration.

2) They managed to get a whopping 290 miles driving at 75 mph on the highway. This seems substantially more than what other tests have put it at (~220 miles). I am bit skeptical, but the range could have been aided by warmer weather.
Appreciate 2
Carnook132.00
Paladin15556.00
      05-19-2022, 09:40 AM   #90
zephyr1108
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX xDrive50

The Verge: https://www.theverge.com/23074741/bm...s-price-photos
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 11:34 AM   #91
blake6551
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X5MC, '23 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateMoneyShifter View Post
Car and Driver Tested: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...highway-range/

Some callouts:

1) Only a Bentley Bentayga, Rolls Royce Cullinan, 2020 Audi S8 and the Jagur I-Pace have tested quieter than the iX at speed. It is the quietest car they have tested under acceleration.

2) They managed to get a whopping 290 miles driving at 75 mph on the highway. This seems substantially more than what other tests have put it at (~220 miles). I am bit skeptical, but the range could have been aided by warmer weather.
I'm easily seeing that on my iX50. Averaging 3.1mi/kWh and I'm seeing as high as 3.6 on my commute. The range is incredible so far over the first 1k miles. My commute is 50/50 side streets and 70-80mph interstate, in Sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 07:10 AM   #92
Brwilli
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW iX xDrive50 2023

An owner who really loves his iX 50
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 08:27 AM   #93
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Good "best range" look:

Appreciate 1
TechCTU766.00
      06-05-2022, 02:48 PM   #94
razor488
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Are there any review videos on how well the parking assistant works? I am curious how useful this feature will be for my situation. I have a single car garage that is 96 inches wide so I am wondering if it will be able to either park or reverse out of the space.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15556.00
      06-05-2022, 06:02 PM   #95
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor488 View Post
Are there any review videos on how well the parking assistant works? I am curious how useful this feature will be for my situation. I have a single car garage that is 96 inches wide so I am wondering if it will be able to either park or reverse out of the space.
I have about 2" of clearance on either side of the mirrors on my X5 40i, and the reverse assistant drives out perfectly - however, if you have the side collision monitors turned on, it will sometimes brake fairly hard if it thinks my steering wheel is pointed in the wrong direction even with sufficient clearance. Hopeful that the iX (which is slightly narrower) threads the doors better without the braking part...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 06:53 PM   #96
razor488
First Lieutenant
Rep

Will it park itself inside or only do the reversing part?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 07:54 PM   #97
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Will it park itself inside or only do the reversing part?
With the current gen of iD7, the automatic parking feature only works if you drive by an empty parking space - and it only works if the space is bordered by cars (paralllel or perpendicular) - not really for parking in a garage. And it only parks perpendicularly in reverse. So probably best described as "semi-autonomous" in iD7:

The Reverse Assistant will get you out of a parking space or your garage by retracing your route in - up to about 150 feet.

Haven't parked with the iX, but I think the Plus version is slightly more advanced (you still need to drive by an empty spot, and it looks like at least one side bordered by another car):

And the Pro version (Maneuver Assistant) even more, with recorded parking maneuvers:

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 10:30 AM   #98
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

ShortCircuit:

Main criticism is iDrive being crap with a cluttered design and confusing AC controls. All valid and I know on here people talk about how they use voice instead as that works well, they shouldn't have to imo.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 10:56 AM   #99
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
ShortCircuit:

Main criticism is iDrive being crap with a cluttered design and confusing AC controls. All valid and I know on here people talk about how they use voice instead as that works well, they shouldn't have to imo.
Very similar IMO to iD7, except more of the same and better. And no difference in a permanent screen button than an actual button, except for feel. I use voice routinely in my X5, and it works very well - and better than Audi's which wasn't bad, in addition to AA's excellent voice navigation, and it's not "have to" - it's more convenient. "Take me home" is considerably faster - and safer - than searching around for a physical or a screen button and pressing it, or taking up valuable real estate on my presets. In the Audi, the sometimes hilarious "I have to pee" would instantly navigate you to the closest rest stop on the Interstate, without even having to be on the nav screen or use about 4 button presses. I also use gesture control as well frequently for audio and nav, and when you discover how to do it correctly 100% reliable - open/close fist, and you're navigated home, two fingers at the screen, and you're muted/unmuted, right/left gesture next/previous track or station. Actually pretty innovative and useful, and good to have multiple options. iDrive 7 or 8 are only the common complaint of "confusing and complicated" for those unwilling to spend the time to learn and practice it. The trim tabs and radio frequencies in a light aircraft are confusing and complicated too, but pretty important to learn before you get in one if you're the pilot.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 11:29 AM   #100
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:
ShortCircuit:

ID8 is no more confusing than Tesla's interface the first time using it. For a BMW user, it's easy to use. Don't agree with this take at all.
Appreciate 3
Paladin15556.00
slampert162.00
AshD100.50
      06-07-2022, 02:48 PM   #101
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Sounds like he might be better served with a '57 Chevy and KYB shocks instead of a drive-by-wire modern car - plenty buttons there....
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 04:48 PM   #102
AshD
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX 40 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Quote:
ShortCircuit:

ID8 is no more confusing than Tesla's interface the first time using it. For a BMW user, it's easy to use. Don't agree with this take at all.
Totally agree. It's like going from Google OS to iOS or vice versa - anyone would find it challenging. Once you are iDrive ecosystem, it's an easy evolutionary step into iDrive8.
Appreciate 2
ScullyD5160.50
Paladin15556.00
      06-08-2022, 10:21 AM   #103
patbrass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB, 6MT

Quote:
ShortCircuit:
Ouch, this is the harshest iX reviews I've seen so far. Surprised he hated the HK sound system...I thought it was pretty good. He didn't mention anything about how nice the materials are (leather seats for example), how nice the HUD is, etc.

The Climate controls in ID8...given that everyone hates the UI, I'd think BMW would update it in some OTA upcoming updates...seems like an easy fix.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 11:36 PM   #104
Bird~Dawg
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 40e

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 12:53 AM   #105
UltimateMoneyShifter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW iX xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by patbrass View Post
Quote:
ShortCircuit:
Ouch, this is the harshest iX reviews I've seen so far. Surprised he hated the HK sound system...I thought it was pretty good. He didn't mention anything about how nice the materials are (leather seats for example), how nice the HUD is, etc.

The Climate controls in ID8...given that everyone hates the UI, I'd think BMW would update it in some OTA upcoming updates...seems like an easy fix.
I have the greatest of respect for the Linus Tech Tips community, but they should stick to building and reviewing computer/networking/storage gear.

I agreed with most of the things mentioned in the video except:

1) Almost zero rear visibility: a bit of an exaggeration here. When I test drove it, visibility out the back was actually pretty good.

2) Floor being too high in the back: But you have so much space in front of you! You can just push your legs forward! Honestly the seat height is pretty good for an EV.

3) Climate control: Yeah it is pretty terrible honestly and BMW should fix this with a software update ASAP. But the worst ever? Buddy, you folks reviewed the Tesla too. The controls on that car change with each moon cycle and take more taps to do some basic things like turn on seat heating.

4) Iconic sounds: Not your thing? Sure. Dumb? Ugh…

5) Sound-system: This where they just lost me. It looks like they played one track, that could have been highly compressed on Spotify, which features just comical amounts of highs and lows (barely any mids). This isn't even a fair test! I know for a fact that that system is excellent (after trying a bunch of different lossless, well as lossless as CarPlay can be, music).

Given that they are a sister channel to LTT, I was hoping they would geek out on things like CarKey, CarPlay and Android Auto integration, app integration, HUD, range, efficiency, adaptive regenerative braking, park assist etc. But looks like only the roof made the cut. Ugh. Just a terrible review in the end simply because the only points he brought up were nits. Some were completely misinformed nits too.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15556.00
      06-22-2022, 09:11 AM   #106
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 10:42 AM   #107
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
iX 50 vs X5 M50i, Herr Thomas:

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 03:18 PM   #108
razor488
First Lieutenant
Rep

Interesting review. Kind of odd he kept commenting on how much he preferred iDrive 7 since the X5 is moving to iDrive 8 anyway. He seems to prefer ICE over EV.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 04:12 PM   #109
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting review. Kind of odd he kept commenting on how much he preferred iDrive 7 since the X5 is moving to iDrive 8 anyway. He seems to prefer ICE over EV.
Thomas actually has very favorable reviews of the iX models, but does make a valid point that if you own and drive an electric vehicle, you'll be much happier with the experience if you can charge at home, which many Europeans cannot. In addition to having a not very robust infrastructure except in major cities (yet).

Having lived in Germany when petrol was much less expensive (but not according to American standards), it was still pricey to blast my M5 around on the Autobahn. With petrol about $8/gal there now and rising, filling up your X5 M50i from empty will cost you around $175 USD - if you can get it. And driving the Autobahn you'll need to fill it up often. So I'm not sure the juicy delight of hearing a roaring V8 is worth the squeeze on that particular lemon, but not being able to charge an electric by your house (garages also being uncommon there) would be less than convenient in German winters. And electricity there can be less than cheap as well (average around 0.40/kWh since March for household rates).

So he was right - sort of a toss-up where he lives. Where I live in flyover country in the US, my electric rates are pretty far south of 0.10/kWh generally, and Premium fuel is over $5. And I already have a ChargePoint in my warm and comfy garage. So a no-brainer on this side of the Atlantic, but location does matter.

Last edited by Paladin1; 07-13-2022 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 11:37 AM   #110
razor488
First Lieutenant
Rep

Road and Track. Would be curious to hear feedback on this review from people who have taken delivery.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews...bmw-ix-review/
Appreciate 0