BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

05-22-2023, 07:42 PM   #1
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Juice Box Sessions Start/Stop

Had my ix at dealer for a week and a half. Now since I got it back, my Juice box keeps starting stopping charging outside of the normal scheduled session (10pm to 6am).

The bmw app shows it as not charging at all even when the Enel
App says it is.

Any one experience this ?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 07:46 PM   #2
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Maybe the time zone was reset while it was at the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 04:50 AM   #3
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Maybe the time zone was reset while it was at the dealer?
will check it out, so bizarre. actual scheduled session begins when it should.

but the start/stop is incessant up until that time.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 05:22 AM   #4
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Time zone fine on both ends. So recap:

I normally charge the vehicle from 10pm to 6am. A normal day over here: I plug the vehicle in when I am done driving for the night (usually by 8:30pm) but the vehicle does not charge right away. It waits until that schedule I programmed using the Enel app (10pm to 6am) to kick in to start charging.

Since I've gotten my car back from dealer, however, it starts/stops/starts/stops over and over every few minutes from the time I plug it in until 10pm, at which point it seems to start charging without stopping/starting/stopping/over and over, as it should.

I spoke to Enel about this, they are looking into it. Any ideas what is going on?

This is a sample of the messages I get from Enel app when this happens
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 07:50 AM   #5
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Tried clicking the breaker on the JuiceBox and re-initializing? And the usual car things - reboot, sleep cycle, etc. Other than that, could be time for a replacement EVSE....
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 09:59 AM   #6
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Tried clicking the breaker on the JuiceBox and re-initializing? And the usual car things - reboot, sleep cycle, etc. Other than that, could be time for a replacement EVSE....
I have. Gonna have Enel check logs. Not sure what if anything might have happened on bmw side -
Perhaps firmware related ?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 10:04 AM   #7
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Possible, although beginning to sound like a possible problem with the box itself. But curious - "Charging has been paused/resumed due to a"...what?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 11:27 AM   #8
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Possible, although beginning to sound like a possible problem with the box itself. But curious - "Charging has been paused/resumed due to a"...what?
Due to a smart charging event. So it thinks it’s good to go (within 10pm to 6am window) then stops when it realizes it isn’t. Cycle repeats every 4 mins. So bizarre
Appreciate 1
Paladin15556.00
      05-24-2023, 12:43 PM   #9
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Maybe turn off all scheduling - in the car and the apps (JuiceBox and MyBMW), and just try different parameters in the software to try to isolate the hickup (In the scheduling? In charging itself? In the app(s)? In the car?) Failing any of that, one rule-out is to swap out the box - easier or not depending if you're hard-wired or NEMA. If it works, you're golden. If not, back to the car (which is guaranteed to be complicated, prolonged, with not many technicians likely to know what they're doing - my experienced cynical opinion). But there's always hope some random Genius can help....
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 01:42 PM   #10
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Maybe turn off all scheduling - in the car and the apps (JuiceBox and MyBMW), and just try different parameters in the software to try to isolate the hickup (In the scheduling? In charging itself? In the app(s)? In the car?) Failing any of that, one rule-out is to swap out the box - easier or not depending if you're hard-wired or NEMA. If it works, you're golden. If not, back to the car (which is guaranteed to be complicated, prolonged, with not many technicians likely to know what they're doing - my experienced cynical opinion). But there's always hope some random Genius can help....
Right on ty - been chipping away at some of the above. Will let ya know
Appreciate 1
Paladin15556.00
      05-28-2023, 05:37 PM   #11
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

I had a similar issue (random charging interrupted notifications from BMW app). I racked my brain with charging issues on my x5 45e. Had onboard charger replaced and software updated on the g05, replaced the charger … nothing resolved it until the manufacturer of the EVSE replaced my retractable reel charging cable. There must have been an issue with the j1772 connector in the cable. I fortunately have not had any issues since replacing the cable/reel.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 05:46 PM   #12
Moridin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW iX

I’ve noticed my car will start/stop charging maybe once an hour when waiting for scheduled charging to start. The car charges for a few seconds, then stops. My assumption was that it was a feature. The car checking the amperage available from the EVSE. That way it can make sure the car is at target charge by the scheduled start time. The examples where it might matter is where you have multiple EVSE sharing a circuit. The available current per car can change.

My mystery is why at our cabin my car periodically detects charging faults. It’s hard to troubleshoot the EVSE, or electrical system with knowing why the car is unhappy.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 09:57 AM   #13
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Troubleshooting the Enel is hard. Their customer service, while available 24/7, is a total crapshoot. More bad than good.

I've turned off smart charging on Enel's side, and turned on scheduling in the BMW and I think it's charging when it should - in the specified time. And if plugged in prior to the scheduled start time, it doesnt appear to be starting/stopping/starting/stopping etc - if it was i'd get notifications from the BWM app, so think I'm good to go?
Appreciate 1
Paladin15556.00