BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

05-30-2023, 08:30 AM   #1
dcbmw7831
Private
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Physical and Digital key issues today

Concerning issue with my keys this morning.

We've had our 24 iX for a month now (OTA updated to 3/2023.53 last week) and the Digital Keys have worked flawlessly...until today.

When i got to the car this morning with my iphone (that has my digital key) the car didn't unlock. I thought, ok maybe just a weird glitch so I grabbed both of the physical keys and walked up to the car and touched the handle for comfort access. Nothing. Finally after pressing the unlock button on the key many many times the car finally unlocked.

However, the car still didn't seem to recognize the key. It said I needed to hold the key on the steering column to start...ok fine. So I did and the car turned on, but then made me keep the key there for a solid minute or it would give me the warning that I had no key in the car.

After getting to my destination, I decided to reboot the iDrive and try again. This time it seemed it didn't make me hold the key on the column, but the digital key still wasnt working.

So as of now, I have deleted the digital key from my apple wallet and the car, but now it won't let me re-add the key. When i get half way through the process via the MyBMW app it says "Error Activating your Mobile Device Try again"...I tried again, same error.

Any thoughts? I really want to avoid having to take this car in for if I don't have to.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 08:50 AM   #2
Northeastern101
Private
Rep
Drives: XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbmw7831 View Post
Concerning issue with my keys this morning.

We've had our 24 iX for a month now (OTA updated to 3/2023.53 last week) and the Digital Keys have worked flawlessly...until today.

When i got to the car this morning with my iphone (that has my digital key) the car didn't unlock. I thought, ok maybe just a weird glitch so I grabbed both of the physical keys and walked up to the car and touched the handle for comfort access. Nothing. Finally after pressing the unlock button on the key many many times the car finally unlocked.

However, the car still didn't seem to recognize the key. It said I needed to hold the key on the steering column to start...ok fine. So I did and the car turned on, but then made me keep the key there for a solid minute or it would give me the warning that I had no key in the car.

After getting to my destination, I decided to reboot the iDrive and try again. This time it seemed it didn't make me hold the key on the column, but the digital key still wasnt working.

So as of now, I have deleted the digital key from my apple wallet and the car, but now it won't let me re-add the key. When i get half way through the process via the MyBMW app it says "Error Activating your Mobile Device Try again"...I tried again, same error.

Any thoughts? I really want to avoid having to take this car in for if I don't have to.

Thanks
Have you tried calling the BMW genius number and seeing if they can help over the phone?
Appreciate 3
deutsch1003945.00
Paladin15556.00
      05-30-2023, 10:37 AM   #3
dcbmw7831
Private
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastern101 View Post
Have you tried calling the BMW genius number and seeing if they can help over the phone?
Thats my next step if no one else has had this issue and a fix. Wife has car out this morning so once it gets back I'm going to call in.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 12:16 PM   #4
camerbmw
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbmw7831 View Post
Thats my next step if no one else has had this issue and a fix. Wife has car out this morning so once it gets back I'm going to call in.
It happened to me yesterday but I have a 23 M60. Go into the Digital key menu and rest everything. Remove keys from all your devices and pair again.
If you don’t want to do that try holding down the volume rocker plus foot on the brake pedal for 20 seconds. Release the rocker after that and wait a few more seconds before you press again on it to turn things back on. Car needs to be off. See if this works first before trying hard reset. I had this issue twice before (3 no old car)
      05-30-2023, 01:17 PM   #5
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by camerbmw View Post
It happened to me yesterday but I have a 23 M60. Go into the Digital key menu and rest everything. Remove keys from all your devices and pair again.
If you don’t want to do that try holding down the volume rocker plus foot on the brake pedal for 20 seconds. Release the rocker after that and wait a few more seconds before you press again on it to turn things back on. Car needs to be off. See if this works first before trying hard reset. I had this issue twice before (3 no old car)
You don’t need to press the brake pedal to do this. Just hold the volume button down between 20 and 30 seconds to reboot iDrive. The car does need to be running and you can even do it while you’re driving.
Appreciate 2
Paladin15556.00
ggalanis2448.00
      05-30-2023, 02:22 PM   #6
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
^ This. A simple reboot just requires holding down the Volume button with the car running - moving or stationary. And forget "X" seconds - hold the button down either until the screen goes blank and release, or continue holding until the screen blanks and the "OK" prompt reappears and then release. There has been some debate on which works best, but practically it probably doesn't matter - it basically starts the car from a cold (short) sleep.

A "hard" (diagnostic) reboot involves putting the car in diagnostic mode (3 quick presses on the Start button with the car off, then holding down the Volume button as before), and there's also some debate on that, but a diagnostic reboot sometimes resolves issues that a normal reboot won't. It (probably) halts running software that might be preventing a normal reboot fix, similar to "safe" mode on a computer, but BMW is silent on this method. You could get into trouble in diagnostic mode in previous ICE iterations (iX is unknown), so probably best to just confine operations to 1) diagnostic mode, and 2) reboot if you choose this method. Either type of rebooting can sometimes require restoring some settings, so good idea to check.
Appreciate 2
      05-30-2023, 02:26 PM   #7
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
^ This. A simple reboot just requires holding down the Volume button with the car running - moving or stationary. And forget "X" seconds - hold the button down either until the screen goes blank and release, or continue holding until the screen blanks and the "OK" prompt reappears and then release. There has been some debate on which works best, but practically it probably doesn't matter - it basically starts the car from a cold (short) sleep.

A "hard" (diagnostic) reboot involves putting the car in diagnostic mode (3 quick presses on the Start button with the car off, then holding down the Volume button as before), and there's also some debate on that, but a diagnostic reboot sometimes resolves issues that a normal reboot won't. It (probably) halts running software that might be preventing a normal reboot fix, similar to "safe" mode on a computer, but BMW is silent on this method. You could get into trouble in diagnostic mode in previous ICE iterations (iX is unknown), so probably best to just confine operations to 1) diagnostic mode, and 2) reboot if you choose this method. Either type of rebooting can sometimes require restoring some settings, so good idea to check.
I feel like we both explain this at least once or twice per week on some level. 😂😂😂
Appreciate 2
Paladin15556.00
ggalanis2448.00