BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

05-30-2023, 02:42 PM   #1
Louis_BE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX

Consumption on 450km trip

Must say I was impressed.
In the morning at 14C and an average speed of 90km/h, 125km/h when possible (roadworks brought it down). Hilly trajectory with dozens of ups and down of +- 200m, gained 250m in altitude at arrival consumption was little over 21.6 kWh/100km
When going back I drove faster when able at 130, but had a traffic jam on a slow stretch, it was warmer and I lost the altitude and had a consumption of 19.8kwh/100km.
So an average of 20.7kwh/100km with lots of ups and downs (not really steep but still). IX 50 on 22inch wheels.
Did the same trip last year, similar conditions on Model X performance raven on 20 inch wheels 21.8kWh/100km consumption.
That + bigger battery of the iX, happy, still it does not sweeten the no real upgrade path of iDrive 8 though.

Could have made it home just, but I stopped for a bio brake and charged 13 minutes at a Tesla super charger on the way out.
The charging was slow at 90 Kw as I could not precondition and stable charge was 47% (Hey BMW why not give a button to pre condition, oh that is I for iDrive 8.5)

Last edited by Louis_BE; 05-30-2023 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 2
jolaca24.00
deutsch1003940.50
      06-01-2023, 05:01 AM   #2
SGiXers
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW iX X drive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis_BE View Post
Must say I was impressed.
In the morning at 14C and an average speed of 90km/h, 125km/h when possible (roadworks brought it down). Hilly trajectory with dozens of ups and down of +- 200m, gained 250m in altitude at arrival consumption was little over 21.6 kWh/100km
When going back I drove faster when able at 130, but had a traffic jam on a slow stretch, it was warmer and I lost the altitude and had a consumption of 19.8kwh/100km.
So an average of 20.7kwh/100km with lots of ups and downs (not really steep but still). IX 50 on 22inch wheels.
Did the same trip last year, similar conditions on Model X performance raven on 20 inch wheels 21.8kWh/100km consumption.
That + bigger battery of the iX, happy, still it does not sweeten the no real upgrade path of iDrive 8 though.

Could have made it home just, but I stopped for a bio brake and charged 13 minutes at a Tesla super charger on the way out.
The charging was slow at 90 Kw as I could not precondition and stable charge was 47% (Hey BMW why not give a button to pre condition, oh that is I for iDrive 8.5)
Did you try it on Efficient mode anytime during the trip. Ive only use Personal mode with Regeneration in Adaptive. Recently ive just started using Efficient mode for a few days. Though it would imply "Econ" or "loose so power mode" but strangely it didnt. Need to use it daily till my next recharge to see if Efficient = better kwh/100km. So far inconclusive.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 08:39 AM   #3
Louis_BE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGiXers View Post
Did you try it on Efficient mode anytime during the trip. Ive only use Personal mode with Regeneration in Adaptive. Recently ive just started using Efficient mode for a few days. Though it would imply "Econ" or "loose so power mode" but strangely it didnt. Need to use it daily till my next recharge to see if Efficient = better kwh/100km. So far inconclusive.
I forgot to use it on way out, did it on way back. In playing with it I do not see any difference in consumption. (On the condition that you drive the same).
I use adaptive regen and try to coast as much as possible …
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 09:16 AM   #4
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGiXers View Post
Efficient/Eco mode changes the pedal mapping to help those with lead feet, limits some HVAC functions, and reduces the level of acceleration when using cruise control/assist. The range estimator also increases by 20 miles or so.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003940.50
      06-01-2023, 11:11 AM   #5
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i7 60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
Efficient/Eco mode changes the pedal mapping to help those with lead feet, limits some HVAC functions, and reduces the level of acceleration when using cruise control/assist. The range estimator also increases by 20 miles or so.
When I switch from Personal to Efficient, I have never seen the range estimator (ix 50 and 60) increase by more than about 3-5 miles. Yours increases by 20 miles?

My 2019 and 2020 BMW i3S....Comfort to EcoPro would see 10-20 miles of "more" range, but I have never seen this in any of our four iX.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 12:27 PM   #6
Louis_BE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Today it was sunny, 24 degrees or so and airco and seat ventilation on … at a red light I was consuming 2kwh (airco was working hard as the car heated up as it was parked in the sun for several hours). Switched to ECO mode and consumption did not change (without airco I average around 500 wh …)
I think ECO mode only maps the pedal and will lower the car, I would expect this to have an impact on high way speeds but frankly I cannot detect any real difference …
I would expect they would disengage a motor /inverter that should have an impact no?
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003940.50