Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

10-11-2020, 04:43 AM   #1
Flash007
Rep
Drives: 2015 120 dxDrive

BMW i8 - Bambi on ice - Slalom video

Precision driving on ice with stud less tires.
Unfortunatly no sound, but proves that it is possible to place the i8 quite accurately on an very slippery slalom course with close to 0 traction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pckk...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Flash007; 10-11-2020 at 04:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 12:43 PM   #2
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Actually that's pitiful. I have hundreds of hours sideways on frozen lakes under my belly and that looks different, especially in an AWD that can handle 90°+ drift angles. I would always choose a Quattro for this. Sorry BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 01:32 AM   #3
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 LCI

I have no experience of frozen lakes or race tracks, but if my car handles like that in winter when the ice during my commute, I would be quite happy!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 02:12 AM   #4
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep

During your commute, you won't be prepared for a stretch of ice so there is in any car only one thing you can do, go slow. This car goes 20 km/h maybe in the slalom, less I guess. So I can only urge everyone, don't expect any car to "handle" on ice. If you go 50 km/h it will only handle in a straight line into the next obstacle. And any small incline won't work no matter what.

This is a lot of fun on specially prepared tracks without obstacles other than a little snow curb. But even there I have seen DTM drivers needing a tractor to pull them back (of course I never needed that ).

I have been in an accident because a city I lived in once didn't remove invisible icing in time from a slope, I know what it feels like if Sir Isaac Newton takes the wheel. So please, don't create unreasonable expectations 🙏.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 02:00 AM   #5
Flash007
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leto1701 View Post
Actually that's pitiful. I have hundreds of hours sideways on frozen lakes under my belly and that looks different, especially in an AWD that can handle 90°+ drift angles. I would always choose a Quattro for this. Sorry BMW.
Not sure what you mean with pitiful here?

BTW: Some of the clip is in slowmotion

This was not meant to be a video where I checked how much driftangel I could manage, then this video had looked quite a bit different.
It was just a short video where I tried to move the i8 as effectively and close to the cones I could with very limited traction. I was curious to see how the drive train would handle this kind of driving.
The i8 was not design for sideway fun on the ice, but it managed OK also on an icetrack.
Not sure I agree about your comment regarding the Quatro, but I guess it is a matter of preference.
The xDrive system on BMW is IMO one of the most balanced and effective system on the marked. If you prefer to show of with 90% angel no problem, if you want to do a fast lap with a more effective driving style that works perfectly as well.

Here is a video from the same day( Not me driving this time)
M140i xDrive

Last edited by Flash007; 10-13-2020 at 02:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 05:16 PM   #6
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep

No way in the world that video was done without spiked tires. Right? Yes, parts were in slow motion but what was the speed without spikes on ice in the slalom?

It is not typical not to use spikes on ice. The driving would change to much during the day. Spikes on ice give you a pretty consistent driving experience, it is a must for beginners or they never learn to drift.

Yes, I prefer Quattro on ice while still driving a BMW AWD now. In Germany you don't have much snow anyway, in 10 years no one will understand the question here anymore I fear who handles best on snow. What was snow again 😳 And it's anyway mostly a question of the tires, the AWD concept is only a nuance, guess we can agree on that

Last edited by Leto1701; 10-13-2020 at 05:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 03:47 AM   #7
Flash007
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leto1701 View Post
No way in the world that video was done without spiked tires. Right? Yes, parts were in slow motion but what was the speed without spikes on ice in the slalom?

It is not typical not to use spikes on ice. The driving would change to much during the day. Spikes on ice give you a pretty consistent driving experience, it is a must for beginners or they never learn to drift.

Yes, I prefer Quattro on ice while still driving a BMW AWD now. In Germany you don't have much snow anyway, in 10 years no one will understand the question here anymore I fear who handles best on snow. What was snow again �� And it's anyway mostly a question of the tires, the AWD concept is only a nuance, guess we can agree on that

The slalom course was the one without spikes and the speed was not high at all. You are right, its not typical to rig a car ment to drive on the ice, without spikes. Only reason the I8 did not have spikes was that it was not planned to drive it on the ice at all. It was a spontaneous small test where we also wanted to test our new drone. I also took it on a lap around the circuit, and that was a bit tricky...

The M140 lap was definatly with spikes.

Except the fact that I prefer the xDrive, I think we can agree on the rest
Tires are the most important factor and the rest is a matter of preference I guess.

Probably totally wrong forum to post this, but here is a lap I did with a small 120dxDrive ( spike tires). Not much power but still fun. Wanted to test the BMW Drive Analyzer App.

Appreciate 0