Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffysheep View Post
Agree that R8 is pretty old now and replacement is on the way.
Also agree that options are lot more expansive on Porsche, however based solely on the base price, 911 Turbo (0-60 3.2 sec) with $148k is closer to $136k of i8 than 4S's base price of $105k.

Argument based on these models of cars can go either way depending on how you look at it but i8's most comparable vehicle Tesla S (0-60 4.4 sec) is only $106k. You can't ignore that fact and just say $136k is not over priced in regards to performance.

Also, if the premium branding didn't matter as much, people can get a Nissan GTR with much better performance or even a Corvette at about half the price of i8. But the fact of the matter is, branding and design do matter. So I can see some people willing to pay a premium for those two qualities in i8 but for a 136k car, performance is underwhelming. Also, it's even more questionable how well i8 will be able to perform with those super skinny tires on track... My Ducati has thicker rear tire than those.
Actually the closer competitors would be 918, La Ferrari, and P1 in terms of what the car is about. Hybrid performance vehicles with Supercar styling.

Tesla is a sedan and full electric, so not really the same. The M5 is closer to the Tesla.

Also when in this price range, most cars have a lot of the costs hidden in options.

Most people won't order a stripped down car in this range so I usually go what a "well" equipped vehicle should be, at which point options do factor in.

Considering Porsche charges a lot for the options, the cars are usually not close to MSRP. I see a lot of Carrera 4S in LA at 130-140k even though "base" price is 100ish.

Also you get Eco credit which brings down the price for this Hybrid.

The price is pretty close at that point. It's always nice to have the cars be cheaper but at the same time it's not as crazy as some people seem to make it.

Could it be cheaper? Probably but also at the same time, this model is more about a combination of technologies than raw performance. Which is why this model isn't under the M brand.

To me, it's a mini P1, La Ferrari, or 918, which relatively becomes much cheaper in comparison.
La Ferrari, P1 and 918 are not 2+2, so I'm not entirely sure if they are exactly comparable other than the i8's really cool styling and hybrid system. But let's assume that they are comparable. For people who can afford those cars, just like you mentioned i8 would be like a mini P1, which is why I think i8 would be a perfect wife or girl car.

As mentioned earlier, argument like this can go on forever. Only the time will tell if i8's price tag hits the sweet spot for the target customers. It would be very interesting to see what happens. Personally, I don't like over paying for a car that looks good but lacking performance but I wouldn't mind getting i8 for my wife.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #24
Wrotwro7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 IB M3 / 2013 SG M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrotwro7 View Post
I wonder about practicality though. In looking at the pictures can you actually park next to something? Can you pull into a gas station and actually get out without tipping over a pump?
For those of you who have seen it in person what do you think? In the photos it looks to need a pretty substantial birth to open the doors...
Actually, I was wondering that too (and also in 'garage boxes' and underground parking lots: cars, walls, pillars, etc.). But refueling/recharging seems to happen on the right hand side, so that should be okay for a LHD i8. No idea whether BMW fits the fuel filler/recharger cap on the left hand side for a RHD i8.
The fill point is usually opposite to the driver, but if the driver can't get out of the car...

I guess you always ride with friend in case you need to refuel or get a shorter shifter knob for when you climb over the center console and slip and
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #25
phelot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffysheep View Post
La Ferrari, P1 and 918 are not 2+2, so I'm not entirely sure if they are exactly comparable other than the i8's really cool styling and hybrid system. But let's assume that they are comparable. For people who can afford those cars, just like you mentioned i8 would be like a mini P1, which is why I think i8 would be a perfect wife or girl car.

As mentioned earlier, argument like this can go on forever. Only the time will tell if i8's price tag hits the sweet spot for the target customers. It would be very interesting to see what happens. Personally, I don't like over paying for a car that looks good but lacking performance but I wouldn't mind getting i8 for my wife.
Right for me, it's a very intriguing car. If the market dictates that this price is too high, then dealers will start discounting them.

To me it seems like a very sensible daily "exotic" car. Most of the performance of things like the 911 Turbo, R8 V10 and even the M5 cannot be fully realized at the street level. You're way past any legal limits by the time you "push" the car.

So for a car as a daily driver with exotic looks, this is up there. You get great gas mileage as well as having something exclusive.

In the end, it's not always about bargain performance which is why we aren't all driving around in a GTR. People value certain things differently and this is for people who value the rare combination of exotic and efficiency.

Overpriced, maybe, but to whom? Some people will pay for just exclusivity alone.

Anyways for me personally the price is pretty close to what it needs to be depending on which perspective you're coming from.

E9X M3 performance with exotic looks and better than Prius efficiency?

I'm not sure of any other car that can do that right now. And to some people, that's worth the premium.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #26
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

^^

It's good to see some reasonable thinking around these parts. I agree and posted as much elsewhere. Great post.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #27
katsudon
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 328i JB

Wow!

Man I have to say that the white i8 looks AMAZING!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 12:11 AM   #28
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

The white is very nice.

I don't know why the door panels are so plain. Looking at all of the lines ALL over the car. Looks like someone forgot the door panel. It was overhead so they didn't see it?
      09-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #29
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

Sick looking
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #30
THE JEDI
Major
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

Say what ya want this thing is going to sell like hot cakes..PERIOD
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #31
ylincooper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitkis View Post
Heh, lot's of people there I had great talk with Hendrik Wenders on wednesday. And got really impressed about the car. I already set my order later that day, but availability is just a big question...
Was at the show as well. Pitkis, did they say anything about ordering information for the US? Looking to place my order ASAP and will be going back to the show on the 27th.

What did they say about availability?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #32
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylincooper View Post
Was at the show as well. Pitkis, did they say anything about ordering information for the US? Looking to place my order ASAP and will be going back to the show on the 27th.

The 2nd largest dealership in my state told me they were told to only expect one i8 and after a meager deposit and a few conditions, it's going to be mine I contacted six dealerships. Four of them got back to me and said they weren't getting one, one wanted a $5k non-refundable deposit to be 4th in line, when they only expect one, and I made a deposit to be first with the 6th dealer.

Last edited by Carac; 09-20-2013 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #33
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:

The IAA finishes on Sunday 22nd.
      09-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #34
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
The 2nd largest dealership in my state told me they were told to only expect one i8 and after a meager deposit and a few conditions, it's going to be mine I contacted six dealerships. Four of them got back to me and said they weren't getting one, one wanted a $5k non-refundable deposit to be 4th in line, when they only expect one, and I made a deposit to be first with the 6th dealer.
Congrats! Looking forward to your delivery and owner's report
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #35
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phelot View Post
Right for me, it's a very intriguing car. If the market dictates that this price is too high, then dealers will start discounting them.

To me it seems like a very sensible daily "exotic" car. Most of the performance of things like the 911 Turbo, R8 V10 and even the M5 cannot be fully realized at the street level. You're way past any legal limits by the time you "push" the car.

So for a car as a daily driver with exotic looks, this is up there. You get great gas mileage as well as having something exclusive.

In the end, it's not always about bargain performance which is why we aren't all driving around in a GTR. People value certain things differently and this is for people who value the rare combination of exotic and efficiency.

Overpriced, maybe, but to whom? Some people will pay for just exclusivity alone.

Anyways for me personally the price is pretty close to what it needs to be depending on which perspective you're coming from.

E9X M3 performance with exotic looks and better than Prius efficiency?

I'm not sure of any other car that can do that right now. And to some people, that's worth the premium.

Exactly. I'm buying an i8 for what it is, not what it isn't. It isn't meant to be a snarling, road devouring, beast of a car. I've got a SLS AMG for that kind of thing. What it is, is the first hybrid I like and would be happy to drive. It's not a half-assed conversion of an existing car with a 10% increase in fuel economy. It's not an anemic, bland, and boring ground-up design hybrid either. I'm a pragmatic man. I understand that we can't keep making 6+ liter V-8/12s forever. I understand the future is coming and there's little we can do about it. The i8 is the first "affordable" car (the LaFerrari, McLaren P1, Porsche 918 dance around the $1million mark) that doesn't make me dread that future.

Everything I've heard from 1st hand exposure to is says it drives like a real driver's car, makes a great sound (reminds people of early 911s), and is the most futuristic looking car out there in person. I believe I saw where a couple of the top engineers at BMW M helped with it's development. It has the lowest center of gravity of any current BMW and they said they are on target for their goal of 1450kg (3200lbs). And for the time being, it appears to be the closest we'll get to a mid-engine M1 successor in terms of proportions for the near future. Anyone thinking that "only" 228hp and 236lb-ft from the gas engine means it's doomed to suck as a sports car needs to realize that's 143hp/ton. My E30 M3 is 137hp/ton, has a higher center of gravity than the i8 and 25 fewer years of suspension R/D, and is a BLAST to drive.

Couple that with what appears to be one of the rarest cars BMW has produced and I think they have a hit on their hands.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #36
ylincooper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The IAA finishes on Sunday 22nd.
The 22nd is what i meant, sorry. Do you have any insight on ordering information/procedure for the i8?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #37
ylincooper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Very nice Carac! Although, these are able to be ordered online as well as in the showrooms. Any insight as to when one can be ordered and built custom? Nothing on the BMWUSA website yet...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #38
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Very nice Carac! Although, these are able to be ordered online as well as in the showrooms. Any insight as to when one can be ordered and built custom? Nothing on the BMWUSA website yet...
They were told it would arrive late Feb/early march. Options and order to be finalized Oct/Nov. I've settled on the turbine style 625 wheels, carpo amido black interior, and either Crystal White or Sophisto Grey.

Curious about what you mean about being able to order on the website. Tesla has been trying to do direct to customer orders but is being blocked by every dealer association in the US.

From what I gathered, they're only going to the largest dealers because they have to be an official "BMW i" dealer which requires dedicated showroom and lot space, customer quick charge spaces, etc. and due to the extremely limited nature of the car.

Last edited by Carac; 09-20-2013 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #39
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They were told it would arrive late Feb/early march. Options and order to be finalized Oct/Nov. I've settled on the turbine style 625 wheels, carpo amido black interior, and either Crystal White or Sophisto Grey.

Curious about what you mean about being able to order on the website. Tesla has been trying to do direct to customer orders but is being blocked by every dealer association in the US.

From what I gathered, they're only going to the largest dealers because they have to be an official "BMW i" dealer which requires dedicated showroom and lot space, customer quick charge spaces, etc. and due to the extremely limited nature of the car.
Are these the only options you're aware of, or have you seen a full options list already? Or is that in Oct/Nov? I am very curious to see options, sound system, and other tech that will be available with the i8. This is very exciting, thanks for sharing. You will be one of the first in the US to get the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #40
ylincooper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

From what I have gathered from speaking with the rep at the IAA, the i8 along with the i3 will be available for online purchase just as you can do with Tesla. I have also read a few things on this topic as well, specifically in the i8 general discussion board.

Other than that, I do not know much. Going back to the show on Sunday and hopeful to find out more.

The 2 dealers I spoke with in the south Florida area told me they have no idea when the car can be ordered.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #41
Pitkis
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: i8 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
I am very curious to see options, sound system, and other tech that will be available with the i8. This is very exciting, thanks for sharing. You will be one of the first in the US to get the car.
There's H&K sound system available for i8 as an option. HUD is option, not standard as I thought. Professional navi is standard. Laserlights are option also. What else... some view systems I personally don't prefer but for drivetrain everything is included in standard spec as far as I remember.

BMW Individual is not available - yet. You can carry your car to Individual and they will fix it as you wish, but no separate program dedicated program available yet. Heard all this directly from Wenders.

I'v specced laserlights, HUD, H&K and Protonic blue. The only problem now is availability...
      09-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #42
ylincooper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
You will be one of the first in the US to get the car.
Not if i have anything to do with it! hah! The UK website has a online configurator with some of the options including wheels, colors, and interior colors. Specific options are unknown...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #43
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Tell you what, ylincooper, I am down here in SoFla as well and don't even bother with the dealers down here, except for service.

My out of state dealer whom I ordered the X6M from told me they will be taking orders beginning of next year.

Part of my concern here is with the dealers being clueless, who will handle servicing of the cars.... I would imagine at first only official BMWi dealers will have anyone working for them capable of actually doing any technical work on the BMWi vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #44
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitkis View Post
There's H&K sound system available for i8 as an option. HUD is option, not standard as I thought. Professional navi is standard. Laserlights are option also. What else... some view systems I personally don't prefer but for drivetrain everything is included in standard spec as far as I remember.

BMW Individual is not available - yet. You can carry your car to Individual and they will fix it as you wish, but no separate program dedicated program available yet. Heard all this directly from Wenders.

I'v specced laserlights, HUD, H&K and Protonic blue. The only problem now is availability...
Nice, thanks for the info. I'll check out the UK site someone else mentioned. The BMW Individual route seems the way to go if you want anything besides the ordinary exterior or interior choices. I do like the Protonic Blue, but I will want a special interior to go with it. I won't be in a rush with this car as my X6M is hands down a keeper! She is also my DadMobile (tm)!
Appreciate 0