08-13-2018, 02:02 PM   #45
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Yes, but typically the starter solenoid has a hot connection directly from the battery. The solenoid also has a circuit to trigger its operation, but the hot lead is a heavy gauge, always hot, connection directly to the battery. That is usually a good place to tap an "always on" power source...
If memory serves me well, there was a previous discussion that talked about tapping the power locally (maybe from the BMW amp - can't remember the exact details) but in the end I decided to run the power back to the fuse box under the glove compartment. It wasn't too hard to do, but added around another hour to the installation.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 03:56 PM   #46
Jason B
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6

Ok, a little confused.

So bmw has a separate amp and speaker just for the exhaust sounds? I thought the speaker for the exhaust was in the middle lower of the rear seats?

Also, how is this think making the car sound better from OUTSIDE??? Confused there.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 04:20 PM   #47
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

If you don't like internal exhaust sound augmentation, you're REALLY gonna hate this...

There is a special purpose EXTERNAL speaker on the rear-underside of the vehicle to emit exhaust sound EXTERNALLY.

(Several other mfr's do this as well - inc Maserati)
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 04:20 PM   #48
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpond View Post
If memory serves me well, there was a previous discussion that talked about tapping the power locally (maybe from the BMW amp - can't remember the exact details) but in the end I decided to run the power back to the fuse box under the glove compartment. It wasn't too hard to do, but added around another hour to the installation.
I'm just concerned how comparatively hard this might be on the Roadster...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 06:50 PM   #49
Jason B
Private
Rep

Quote:
If you don't like internal exhaust sound augmentation, you're REALLY gonna hate this...

There is a special purpose EXTERNAL speaker on the rear-underside of the vehicle to emit exhaust sound EXTERNALLY.

(Several other mfr's do this as well - inc Maserati)
I love the sound inside with the fake sound, lol. I thought this repalced that but now understand this is just external.

So, the internal setup from bmw isn’t effect or cutoff with this?

And didn’t know Maserati did this too!do you know which?

Lastly, what is the price?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 08:27 AM   #50
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
I love the sound inside with the fake sound, lol. I thought this repalced that but now understand this is just external.

So, the internal setup from bmw isn’t effect or cutoff with this?

And didn’t know Maserati did this too!do you know which?

Lastly, what is the price?
Lots of information already in the Forum if you just search for it:

https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/s...light=maxhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 10:26 AM   #51
Jason B
Private
Rep

Quote:
Lots of information already in the Forum if you just search for it:

https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/s...light=maxhaust
Thanks, I read the whole thing. So, correct me if I'm wrong.

I8 comes with a speaker inside, and a speaker outside from factory. The inside speaker still works with this new mod. The new mod replaces the factory amp for the outside speaker, but keeps the same speaker outside (just amplifies it and changes the sound to the new one?)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 12:19 PM   #52
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I read the whole thing. So, correct me if I'm wrong.

I8 comes with a speaker inside, and a speaker outside from factory. The inside speaker still works with this new mod. The new mod replaces the factory amp for the outside speaker, but keeps the same speaker outside (just amplifies it and changes the sound to the new one?)
That's my understanding as well.

(Although I'm assuming the inside sound is simply mixed into the interior stereo speakers like other BMW's - no dedicated inside speaker)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #53
Jason B
Private
Rep

Sweet, pretty cool. I saw the aftermarket exhaust with the 3 tips, forget manufacturer, but it's like $3,500 and sounds like a vw bug.

***I’ve yet to hear a really good clear sounding video but a friend did this for me and if it sounds like this, then unreal!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUTjkIiu1Sk

UPDATE:

Contacted the company. I may become a dealer for them as this is our business anyway.

New version being released 9/1/18: You have 3 Stages in one. Bass, Treble, Cutout Mode, Overdrive, Intensity, Support up to 4 Speakers. More Info:

The new hardware will have 3 new sounds also. One of them is very similar to maserati sound, from old unit.

Very cool.

Last edited by Jason B; 08-15-2018 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 06:15 AM   #54
z4driver
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4

Was planning to do the install today but pictures are not working. Is ther any other way to get the images for guide?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 06:25 AM   #55
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4driver View Post
Was planning to do the install today but pictures are not working. Is ther any other way to get the images for guide?
The attached pdf has pics and is pretty easy to follow. (Hopefully it has attached - if not, PM me your email address and I will send it on.)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SoundBoosterBMWi8en.pdf (2.51 MB, 247 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 07:22 AM   #56
z4driver
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The attached pdf has pics and is pretty easy to follow. (Hopefully it has attached - if not, PM me your email address and I will send it on.)
Thanks, installed the bluetooth and ecu using the manual provided with kit which i think is the same as the pdf you provided. There was another thread which had pictures of running the power cable to the fuse box and i need those pictures for a guide but they are not loading. Does anyone have a copy of those images anywhere?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 10:25 AM   #57
Jason B
Private
Rep

Z4, you're not in reading, PA are you?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #58
z4driver
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Z4, you're not in reading, PA are you?
Yes I am in reading
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 12:33 PM   #59
z4driver
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Need some help if anyone has some ideas. I have connected the amp and Bluetooth unit and the Bluetooth is connected and the app reacts to the drive mode and shows if you change from eco to sports etc but I can’t get any sound out of the amp. I have tried demo mode and normal mode in sports mode but no amplified sounds. What could be wrong? I have wired the amp directly instead of the blue connector as suggested.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 12:36 PM   #60
Jason B
Private
Rep

Quote:
Need some help if anyone has some ideas. I have connected the amp and Bluetooth unit and the Bluetooth is connected and the app reacts to the drive mode and shows if you change from eco to sports etc but I can’t get any sound out of the amp. I have tried demo mode and normal mode in sports mode but no amplified sounds. What could be wrong? I have wired the amp directly instead of the blue connector as suggested.
I don't know enough about the product yet to help, but use the LIVE CHAT on their website. They will fix you up.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 02:45 PM   #61
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don't know enough about the product yet to help, but use the LIVE CHAT on their website. They will fix you up.
When you posted that message it was Friday night at 7:36 pm in Germany.

Not likely any help available till Monday... :-(
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 03:28 AM   #62
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
May seem obvious but have you double checked all the connections to make sure they are wired correctly and are fine? Also check if your BMW amp still working without issue ie, music coming through your interior speakers... if it isn't it could be that you need to double check that connector too.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 08:21 AM   #63
z4driver
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
May seem obvious but have you double checked all the connections to make sure they are wired correctly and are fine? Also check if your BMW amp still working without issue ie, music coming through your interior speakers... if it isn't it could be that you need to double check that connector too.
Thanks for the reply. I have checked all the wires and they seem ok. BMW amp is working fine as I hear hear music. I’m thinking maybe there is a new app for the new sound module. Bluetooth unit has one green flash and the other is flashing green. Any ideas..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 02:55 AM   #64
z4driver
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quick update..

Managed to get it all working this weekend!

My wiring was all done correctly but i needed the new beta to detect the new sound module.

First impressions: this thing sounds amazing!!!!!

the app allows a lot of customisation to allow you to tweak the sound how you like it. Things like rough idle which fluctuates the sound slightly makes it seem more real and not digital.

Also the 5 new sound choices are also really good and allow you to tweak the sound exactly how you like.

Now my i8 sounds just as good as it looks!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 06:45 AM   #65
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quick update..

Managed to get it all working this weekend!

My wiring was all done correctly but i needed the new beta to detect the new sound module.

First impressions: this thing sounds amazing!!!!!

the app allows a lot of customisation to allow you to tweak the sound how you like it. Things like rough idle which fluctuates the sound slightly makes it seem more real and not digital.

Also the 5 new sound choices are also really good and allow you to tweak the sound exactly how you like.

Now my i8 sounds just as good as it looks!
Great - glad to hear it. Looking at their website and the images of the app they were using, I thought that it may have been an app issue.

Looking forward to your demo video posts!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 11:18 AM   #66
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Great - glad to hear it. Looking at their website and the images of the app they were using, I thought that it may have been an app issue.

Looking forward to your demo video posts!
Yes, if possible, please provide a representative sound clip for each of the 5 different sounds (side-by-side). Thanks!
Appreciate 0