BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

10-28-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

BMW updates it's 1 series microsite... 135i weighs 3373 lbs

BMW has updated the 1 Series Microsite and Broshure.

The 135i weighs:
  • 6MT: 3373lbs
  • AT: 3384lbs

That is indeed 198lbs lighter than a 335 ...!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 03:33 PM   #2
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post

The 135i weighs:

I've tried to explain to you three times now to use the European specs. They are strict in what they are allowed to disclose for the weight of the vehicle. In the US they can use any number of "weights".
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 03:33 PM   #3
e92man
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: modded e92 335i coupe

Garage List
if they updated it then that could mean that they are lying. i met someone form germany that drove an m3 csl and said it wasnt really any faster than the normal m3. and i dont think that it is as much lighter than the e46 m3 as we think it it
e92 335i jet black, coral red, aluminum, sport, step, paddles, heated seats, pdc, bmw aluminum pedals, oem aero kit front lip, 19' miro type 366 hamann race edition reps, H&R sport springs, 15% tints, vorsteiner rear deck spoiler, custom front pdc

"The only cars that should be yellow are taxi cabs and school busses."
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 03:59 PM   #4
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92man View Post
if they updated it then that could mean that they are lying. i met someone form germany that drove an m3 csl and said it wasnt really any faster than the normal m3. and i dont think that it is as much lighter than the e46 m3 as we think it it
This is off topic but,
The M3 CSL was made for the track and that person is smoking crack if he thought the CSL is not faster. On Nurburing there is a 40+ sec difference between the two M3's which is HUGE. Of course on smaller tracks the difference will diminish.

Track / M3 / M3 CSL
Top Gear Track 1:31.8 / 1:28.0
Nordschleife 8:22 / 7:50
Tsukuba 1:07.11 / 1:06.88
Anglesey 52.8 / 50.8
Hockenheim Shorttrack 1:16.3 / 1:13.5
Vairano Handling Course 1:23.190 / 1:20.488
Oschersleben 1:50.00 / 1:46.60
Motovision handling course 19.79 / 18.94
      10-28-2007, 03:59 PM   #5
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
I've tried to explain to you three times now to use the European specs. They are strict in what they are allowed to disclose for the weight of the vehicle. In the US they can use any number of "weights".
Hunh...?

Dude, there was an error on the microsite and broshure... saying the 135 weighed 3700lbs..!! We knew that wasn't the case. They have correcrted it.

Unladen weight is Unladen weight...! When you buy your car, on the invoice they have to have the correct weight for tarrif, import and legal reasons, BMW cannot lie!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 04:01 PM   #6
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92man View Post
Is that english...?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 04:03 PM   #7
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Hunh...?

Dude, there was an error on the microsite and broshure... saying the 135 weighed 3700lbs..!! We knew that wasn't the case. They have correcrted it.

Unladen weight is Unladen weight...! When you buy your car, on the invoice they have to have the correct weight for tarrif, import and legal reasons, BMW cannot lie!
What he is saying is that using the european weights which have been released for both and are very strict, the 135 weighs 40kg less than a 335 coupe. I find it highly, highly unlikely that the 135 weighs over 100 lbs less in America versus Europe.
      10-28-2007, 04:38 PM   #8
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
What he is saying is that using the european weights which have been released for both and are very strict, the 135 weighs 40kg less than a 335 coupe. I find it highly, highly unlikely that the 135 weighs over 100 lbs less in America versus Europe.
Indeed. They use one weight for their European disclosures, and it's very very strict down to how much fluids are in the car. In the US they use any number of different "weights" they can vary by several hundreds of pounds. Just try and find the disclosure for the US weight and you will see what I'm talking about.

Yes everyone knew the 3700 was a mistake.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 04:51 PM   #9
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:

The 135i weighs:

Dont bother, ppl here like to cherry pick their figures. Just wait till the car is released and have the car weighted.

Quote:
Indeed. They use one weight for their European disclosures, and it's very very strict down to how much fluids are in the car. In the US they use any number of different "weights" they can vary by several hundreds of pounds. Just try and find the disclosure for the US weight and you will see what I'm talking about.
Does that mean the 3 series can be +100 or 200 more than advertised?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 10:56 PM   #10
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
Dont bother, ppl here like to cherry pick their figures. Just wait till the car is released and have the car weighted.
You could always go to the 1addicts forum instead of being in ours . This topic has gotten so old and honestly I dont care if it weighs 500lbs.
      10-29-2007, 12:32 AM   #11
Robert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
You could always go to the 1addicts forum instead of being in ours . This topic has gotten so old and honestly I dont care if it weighs 500lbs.
Majority here has expressed genuine interest in the car. My intention is to keep the fact straight for everyone and not to stir up the pot. Please don't take my defense of the 1 series as an disrespect of the 3 series. I have been a member on this forum before the 3 series was released and I have seen the utility of the forum gone down dramatically due to ignorance.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 12:39 AM   #12
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Does that mean the 3 series can be +100 or 200 more than advertised?
For the first part, car and driver weighed it, it's as heavy as the EU spec says.

For the second, yes.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 12:48 AM   #13
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Majority here has expressed genuine interest in the car. My intention is to keep the fact straight for everyone and not to stir up the pot. Please don't take my defense of the 1 series as an disrespect of the 3 series. I have been a member on this forum before the 3 series was released and I have seen the utility of the forum gone down dramatically due to ignorance.
Truthfully, I personally dont mind all the excitement about the 135. What irks myself and members of this forum is when people, some who don't even OWN a E9x, talks about how it'll kill a 335 because of blah blah blah and completely disrespecting our vehicles. Even if the 135 was available when I purchased my car I wouldnt have gone for it. I had the sedan on order until I saw the coupe and was stunned at how beautiful it looked. The approx 100lbs difference is nothing to me. Thats a cf hood, trunk, and lighter wheel difference.

Hope you guys enjoy the car and its what you hope. Everything with the weight right now is speculation. When I ship my car in the next couple weeks I'll get the exact weight, post it up, and you guys can go from there.
      10-29-2007, 01:13 AM   #14
Robert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Truthfully, I personally dont mind all the excitement about the 135. What irks myself and members of this forum is when people, some who don't even OWN a E9x, talks about how it'll kill a 335 because of blah blah blah and completely disrespecting our vehicles. Even if the 135 was available when I purchased my car I wouldnt have gone for it. I had the sedan on order until I saw the coupe and was stunned at how beautiful it looked. The approx 100lbs difference is nothing to me. Thats a cf hood, trunk, and lighter wheel difference.

Hope you guys enjoy the car and its what you hope. Everything with the weight right now is speculation. When I ship my car in the next couple weeks I'll get the exact weight, post it up, and you guys can go from there.
I understand your position. I am disgusted by those people as well irregardless my vehicle of choice. I am looking forward to your measurement.

I am sure you can understand some of the frustration here if people started to question the caliberation of your scales, methods, fuel levels, and the truthfulness of your measuremnts. I assure you the detractor of the 135i will bring the same points into question when it's measured by a private 1 owner. All of us know to take these things with grain of salt but when one openly questions the validity of BMW published figures it becomes just a tad absurd. (We are well aware of the published figures on BMWNA are preliminary. )

Only trying to foster a constructive discussion or debate on the general car talk forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 02:19 AM   #15
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I understand your position. I am disgusted by those people as well irregardless my vehicle of choice. I am looking forward to your measurement.

I am sure you can understand some of the frustration here if people started to question the caliberation of your scales, methods, fuel levels, and the truthfulness of your measuremnts. I assure you the detractor of the 135i will bring the same points into question when it's measured by a private 1 owner. All of us know to take these things with grain of salt but when one openly questions the validity of BMW published figures it becomes just a tad absurd. (We are well aware of the published figures on BMWNA are preliminary. )

Only trying to foster a constructive discussion or debate on the general car talk forum.

Bro, people can criticize the scales used if they like, but one thing germans are very meticulous with their work and I can tell you right now the car will have 1/4 tank of gas when shipped. My car's a MT and I have everything except active steering on it. Everyones entitled to their opinions.

As far as questioning the validity of BMW's published figures, its already known that their published figures should not be believed. The cars with the N54 engine have more power than whats published, so why completely believe in the weight published?

Like I said, I'll post the document online for everyone to see and when someone gets a 1 they can do the same so we can all end the debate. Judging by the look/size of the car, it should be 200lbs less, but thats not whats been stated in the reviews so far. We'll just have to wait and see.
      10-29-2007, 10:46 AM   #16
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post

OMG

BMW released the US spec sheet with and error. It has been corrected. The 135i weighs 198lbs lighter...!

We don't use KG's here in the States, we use LBS. Yes you can can convert, but lbs are more accurate. BMW had a mistake on their Uladen weight for the US spec'd 135i. In which they had it weighing almost 3,800lbs. Someone contacted BMWusa and they corrected the error.

BMW isn't going to release the weight of the 3 series, then change the entire method of how they weigh all the other BMW's, just to lie to us about the weight of a 135i ...!

Yes, BMW posted weights are with a specific set amount of simulated weight. So if you take it to a scale, which many have, their BMW actually weighs LESS than posted. Because BMW issues the weight of their cars as "Uladen"

HERE: <---- Click

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 10:50 AM   #17
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:

If you don't care, then why post or even defend your decision..?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 12:59 PM   #18
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
i didnt want to read through all the disagreements but 3373lb with 300hp is some good stuff

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 01:37 PM   #19
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, BMW posted weights are with a specific set amount of simulated weight. So if you take it to a scale, which many have, their BMW actually weighs LESS than posted. Because BMW issues the weight of their cars as "Uladen"

Good job! You just discovered the very strict way in which BMW releasing the weights on the EU market. Guess what? Those are the weights that show the 80 pound difference.

You basically just linked something supporting what I have been trying to tell you. You will find no similar thing in the US for weight disclosures because there is none, they use whatever weight they feel like and don't tell you how they arrived at it. It could be; the car with no fluids, the car with part fluids, the car with full fluids a passenger and a kitchen sink. It's whatever marketing feels like on that particular day.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 01:53 PM   #20
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you don't care, then why post or even defend your decision..?
Do you feel the need to justify your purchase? If so then why start a thread about your cars weight? All you've done is create more doubt that it weighs 200lbs less and made yourself look clueless.

I dont give a damn if it does weigh 500lbs less, but you've shown nothing other than a page on a website that BMW had to edit as your proof. Do you see how ridiculous this topic has become?

Get the car, weigh it, then come back here bragging about how much less it weighs. I bet we'll never hear from you again.

By the way, brochure's spelled with a C.
      10-29-2007, 06:20 PM   #21
FinInk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 Celica, Wanting 335i

Quote:
Do you feel the need to justify your purchase? If so then why start a thread about your cars weight? All you've done is create more doubt that it weighs 200lbs less and made yourself look clueless.

I dont give a damn if it does weigh 500lbs less, but you've shown nothing other than a page on a website that BMW had to edit as your proof. Do you see how ridiculous this topic has become?

Get the car, weigh it, then come back here bragging about how much less it weighs. I bet we'll never hear from you again.

By the way, brochure's spelled with a C.
Dude forums are to spread information. There's been debates about the 135i's weight, change in information was found concerning this topic and in the interest of the people sill wondering what is going on (like myself), the new possible information was posted. Believe it or not alot of people want to know these kinds of things when they make decesion in buying a car. No one is attacking you, you're just turning this into a hostile thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 09:37 PM   #22
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
OMG

BMW released the US spec sheet with and error. It has been corrected. The 135i weighs 198lbs lighter...!

We don't use KG's here in the States, we use LBS. Yes you can can convert, but lbs are more accurate. BMW had a mistake on their Uladen weight for the US spec'd 135i. In which they had it weighing almost 3,800lbs. Someone contacted BMWusa and they corrected the error.

BMW isn't going to release the weight of the 3 series, then change the entire method of how they weigh all the other BMW's, just to lie to us about the weight of a 135i ...!

-Garrett

Are you seriously that dense? I am not talking about the 3800 LB mistaken US weight and neither is anybody else.

That facts are that both cars are weighed VERY strictly in Europe with extremely precise rules about what can and cannot be in the car. It DOES NOT matter if they were laiden or not, because the standards are the same for ALL of the cars. BOTH have a 75kg driver, etc. I do NOT care about the absolute value of the weights themselves, The DIFFERENCE between the two there is 40kg. Let me repeat that for you one more time: The difference between the 335 coupe and the 135 coupe is 40kg in Europe.

WTF are you talking about that "kg isn't as precise as lbs." Are you on drugs? The 1 series is not going to lose over 100 lbs during its transition from Europe to the states, sorry. You 135 boys and your internet jockeying has gotten out of hand. I understand that the 1 series is better than the 3 at everything, why? Because its a 1 series, BMW's "drivers" car, you 3'er fools. Keep it over on 1addicts.

Last edited by A418t81; 10-29-2007 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 0