Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

09-11-2014, 01:49 AM   #1
JimboPenguin
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Total cost of ownership through UK limited company?

Hi all,

I'm interested in buying an i8 and have heard fourth hand that the company car tax rules in the UK for businesses are very attractive, to the point where the total cost of ownership is the same as a nicely specified Golf GTI. I find this hard to believe and am hoping someone has some experience and can provide some example numbers ideally.

Cheers,
Jim
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 07:32 AM   #2
SGLL66
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Cayenne GTS, 911 GTS & M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPenguin View Post
Hi all,

I'm interested in buying an i8 and have heard fourth hand that the company car tax rules in the UK for businesses are very attractive, to the point where the total cost of ownership is the same as a nicely specified Golf GTI. I find this hard to believe and am hoping someone has some experience and can provide some example numbers ideally.

Cheers,
Jim
Jim,

I have a Panamera Hybrid as a company car and you basically pay 5% benefit in kind this year rising to 9%(15/16) and 11% (16/17) so this year I am paying tax on 5% of £100k. Comparatively speaking on my 335d I was paying 24%, 26% and 25% respectively over the next three years. Also, with a hybrid you get a 100% first year write down allowance vs profit so can save additional 75% of the value of the car off the bottom line compared to a normal car.

The numbers do stack up to allow you to drive a very expensive car for less than the cost of an ordinary car in terms of personal tax - but the rates to ramp up. If you can afford the outlay I'd go for it.

try comcar.co.uk

Last edited by SGLL66; 09-11-2014 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: add extra info
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
I would expect them to assume a 1:5 liter 3-cylinder hybrid would be lower risk, despite the price.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #4
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Yes, and an i3 BEV is 0% BIK this year. So I bought one of those too
Appreciate 0