Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

12-02-2018, 10:29 AM   #1959
dougt.ah3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AH3 Msport; F150 XLT

When I was younger I never used a pre-workout but now in my mid-sixty's I find they help, especially after a long day in the office. Could be mental. I cycle between Pre-Kaged and my own mix of bcaa, creatine hcl, citrulline, beta-alanine plus a cup of coffee.
2022 K1600B

Last edited by dougt.ah3; 12-03-2018 at 12:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 11:23 AM   #1960
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I hate when I'm in the gym working out, and I keep hearing some old fart who's every pull on the lat bar results in creaking of joints, so loud I can hear them!!!

Wait, I was in the company gym all alone last night
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2018, 03:32 PM   #1961
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

is it me or are you guys noticing this in your gym this time of the year to handle all the new gym members joining. just an observation while at the gym this afternoon. I've notice there's at least 5 new trainers in my gym. all 5 of them look like they've never lifted a dumbbell ever! I mean, not an ounce of muscle anywhere to be seen? how can you be a trainer if you don't look somewhat fit or even show any evidence of muscle? these guys look like dorks fresh out of training school or whatever classes they need to take to become a trainer. one of the trainers walked up to me and asked if I would like to hire him as a personal trainer. and I really wanted to say what I was feeling but I kept it to myself. maybe it's just me and I try not to judge but I almost wanted to say "dude, I have more muscle than you...what makes you think i'm going to pay you money to train what I already know?

please tell me what you guys think because I was just confused
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #1962
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
is it me or are you guys noticing this in your gym this time of the year to handle all the new gym members joining. just an observation while at the gym this afternoon. I've notice there's at least 5 new trainers in my gym. all 5 of them look like they've never lifted a dumbbell ever! I mean, not an ounce of muscle anywhere to be seen? how can you be a trainer if you don't look somewhat fit or even show any evidence of muscle? these guys look like dorks fresh out of training school or whatever classes they need to take to become a trainer. one of the trainers walked up to me and asked if I would like to hire him as a personal trainer. and I really wanted to say what I was feeling but I kept it to myself. maybe it's just me and I try not to judge but I almost wanted to say "dude, I have more muscle than you...what makes you think i'm going to pay you money to train what I already know?

As i mentioned earlier in the thread, my buddy is the manager of a local gym's personal training dept and the stories i hear sometimes are nuts.

The company he works for has been sued for discrimination for not hiring someone that is out of shape for a personal trainer position. Another person that applied for the same position was legally blind. Both applicants were adamant that they would be an excellent trainer despite having no experience, not being in shape and knowing nothing about health and fitness or the industry. I can keep going.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
      12-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #1963
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander_g View Post
As i mentioned earlier in the thread, my buddy is the manager of a local gym's personal training dept and the stories i hear sometimes are nuts.

The company he works for has been sued for discrimination for not hiring someone that is out of shape for a personal trainer position. Another person that applied for the same position was legally blind. Both applicants were adamant that they would be an excellent trainer despite having no experience, not being in shape and knowing nothing about health and fitness or the industry. I can keep going.
That's just crazy! I don't know what kind of classes these trainers have to take to become certified but usually the guys that do this are usually the one's that are really into this kind of industry that are physically fit. At least that's how the current trainers look like not including the 5 new one's they hired. How do you sell yourself to clients about physical fitness when they look at you and say "have you looked into the mirror lately?" maybe it's just me.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 08:34 PM   #1964
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

Not just you, trainers in my gym are multiplying and some of them look just awful. Even their posture is bad. I mean im not one to judge someone who is out of shape at the gym, but if its your job to train someone you should look the part.
Appreciate 2
      12-04-2018, 10:31 PM   #1965
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Ok. Today I'll teach you how NOT to lift. Later I'll demonstrate some poor eating habits then take you on a nekkid tour of the locker room
      12-05-2018, 10:56 AM   #1966
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Quote:
That's just crazy! I don't know what kind of classes these trainers have to take to become certified but usually the guys that do this are usually the one's that are really into this kind of industry that are physically fit. At least that's how the current trainers look like not including the 5 new one's they hired. How do you sell yourself to clients about physical fitness when they look at you and say "have you looked into the mirror lately?" maybe it's just me.
I completely agree, but to use a sports analogy, are former players the only ones who can make great coaches? Just another way to think about it. Theoretically, one could understand all the science and mechanics and be a fantastic trainer without personally doing any of it for them self. Realistically, I agree that this is not going to happen though.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2018, 12:02 PM   #1967
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Not just you, trainers in my gym are multiplying and some of them look just awful. Even their posture is bad. I mean im not one to judge someone who is out of shape at the gym, but if its your job to train someone you should look the part.
Yup, one of my friends is a certified trainer. He is terrible. I worked out with him and so did some of my friends. Every one of us was in pain constantly, and not the "after workout good pain" type. I'm talking back problems, neck issues, etc. Stopped working out with him and gains were still consistent but less pain. I think his problem is that he is super arrogant and refuses to acknowledge he is doing things incorrectly.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #1968
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Yup, one of my friends is a certified trainer. He is terrible. I worked out with him and so did some of my friends. Every one of us was in pain constantly, and not the "after workout good pain" type. I'm talking back problems, neck issues, etc. Stopped working out with him and gains were still consistent but less pain. I think his problem is that he is super arrogant and refuses to acknowledge he is doing things incorrectly.
Lol is he one of those trainers who make you do the odd workouts while everyone else is doing the basic movements? I always wondered why trainers do that
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 01:00 PM   #1969
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
I completely agree, but to use a sports analogy, are former players the only ones who can make great coaches? Just another way to think about it. Theoretically, one could understand all the science and mechanics and be a fantastic trainer without personally doing any of it for them self. Realistically, I agree that this is not going to happen though.
I can see your point with this but as a hiring manager, I wouldn't even give them a second thought. If they know the mechanics and the science involved, yet don't have the ability to apply it to their own life, then how can I expect them to be even a mediocre employee. If I teach them the policies of employment how can I expect them to adhere to them if they can't even follow simple instructions to better their own health?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 01:07 PM   #1970
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The gym that I have just recently started, offers free pizza on the first Monday of every month as a partnership type deal with a pizza chain located directly next door. The girlfriend and I always laugh watching people walk straight out of the gym and walking next door and picking up a few pies. Not surprisingly, these are the people that only use the tread mills with no incline, at 2 mph for 15 minutes and are on their phone the entire time.

This Monday is the first time I have been to said gym during pizza night; the place was packed with these types of individuals. The absolute busiest I have ever seen the place. We managed to find two ellipticals that weren't being used and started our cardio; by the time we were finished the place was empty. I thought it was weird and said something to the guy at the front desk as we were leaving. He started laughing and said, "Yeah, they stop bringing us pizzas at 8:00 and the "heavies" clear out about 10 minutes later."
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 01:45 PM   #1971
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Quote:
Lol is he one of those trainers who make you do the odd workouts while everyone else is doing the basic movements? I always wondered why trainers do that
I never, repeat never, have understood why trainers put their clients through lets just call it "advanced" movements before they have learned the basics. This is how injuries occur. Part of me believes that they are trying to prove to you that they know what they're doing, but they're actually putting the client at risk, especially if they don't correct their form if they see it to be poor. I'm half worked up at the thought of it lol.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #1972
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
The gym that I have just recently started, offers free pizza on the first Monday of every month as a partnership type deal with a pizza chain located directly next door. The girlfriend and I always laugh watching people walk straight out of the gym and walking next door and picking up a few pies. Not surprisingly, these are the people that only use the tread mills with no incline, at 2 mph for 15 minutes and are on their phone the entire time.

This Monday is the first time I have been to said gym during pizza night; the place was packed with these types of individuals. The absolute busiest I have ever seen the place. We managed to find two ellipticals that weren't being used and started our cardio; by the time we were finished the place was empty. I thought it was weird and said something to the guy at the front desk as we were leaving. He started laughing and said, "Yeah, they stop bringing us pizzas at 8:00 and the "heavies" clear out about 10 minutes later."
A place promoting health and fitness giving out free pies...... smh....

A Planet Fitness near me did this shit and to this day I still hate the idea. In your case I wouldn't even go to the gym on that day haha. Don't get me wrong I'm not a health nut and I do enjoy pizza on a regular basis(maybe a few times a month), but to me this is like a tire shop giving out free nails. Maybe it's all just a ploy though, more pizza, more weight gain, leads to potentially more gym time??
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 01:58 PM   #1973
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
A place promoting health and fitness giving out free pies...... smh....

A Planet Fitness near me did this shit and to this day I still hate the idea. In your case I wouldn't even go to the gym on that day haha. Don't get me wrong I'm not a health nut and I do enjoy pizza on a regular basis(maybe a few times a month), but to me this is like a tire shop giving out free nails. Maybe it's all just a ploy though, more pizza, more weight gain, leads to potentially more gym time??
This was my train of though exactly. As soon as we walked in the door we both said that this would be the last pizza night that we go to. As for the gym handing out free pizza.....it's crazy. It's great for business next door and to be honest it's great for business for the gym as well. I'm in the same boat as you, I'm health conscious but it doesn't control my entire life. I like pizza too but I do try to eat thin crust and don't gorge myself on it. I've never been able to eat more than 2 pieces maybe 3 tops.

I'm pretty tolerant of others but that doesn't mean that I don't laugh at idiots, however; when walking into the gym and smelling a heavy pizza smell is torture.
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      12-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #1974
Kiedes
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2006 330i Auto E90

Things That Annoy You About The Gym

Extortionate gym fees!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 08:01 PM   #1975
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

nothing more annoying when I've been eating all day to have crazy energy in the gym and you walk through the front door and realize at the same time a hot chick walks right in too and now I know for the next 1.5hr i'll be staring at her like some creep because she decided to wear those super tight spandex pants with a what looks like a very very tiny thong and now my workout is just poop
Appreciate 1
xander_g962.50
      12-05-2018, 08:12 PM   #1976
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

That should give you motivation? Ego lift bro
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2018, 11:10 PM   #1977
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
That should give you motivation? Ego lift bro
Zactly....hot chicks around me at the gym are always a boost! Good for a PR, extra few reps, an extra set etc....best motivation there is!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 11:23 PM   #1978
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Yeah at home I barely can do shit
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 03:36 AM   #1979
heatwave
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

I work out at my local gym and there's a group of girls that just sit on weight benches and talk while people wait for those machines. It's phenomenally annoying. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of working out and prefer attending coolsculpting procesures in MedSpa NYC to become slimmer faster. These procedures helped me to get rid of 10 lbs in two weeks. It's the easiest way to loose weight fast.

Last edited by heatwave; 12-07-2018 at 07:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 08:44 AM   #1980
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatwave View Post
I work out at my local gym and there's a group of girls that just sit on weight benches and talk while people wait for those machines. It's phenomenally annoying. To be honest, I'm not a big fa of working out and prefer attending coolsculpting procesures to become slimer faster. These procedures helped me to get rid of 10 lbs in two weeks. It's the easiest way to loose weight fast.
Sounds like an infomercial
Appreciate 1
jninja514.50