BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

04-02-2016, 11:40 PM   #1
cays
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Germans

A few notable quotes...

Not sure if these have ever been posted here because I'm not following these discussions, apologies if so.

On February 04, 2013, Vladimir Putin, the Russian president, addressed the Duma, (Russian Parliament), and gave a speech about the tensions with minorities in Russia :

"In Russia live Russians. Any minority, from anywhere, if it wants to live in Russia, to work and eat in Russia, should speak Russian, and should respect the Russian laws. If they prefer Sharia Law, and live the life of Muslims then we advise them to go to those places where that's the state law. Russia does not need Muslim minorities. Minorities need Russia, and we will not grant them special privileges, or try to change our laws to fit their desires, no matter how loud they yell 'discrimination'. We will not tolerate disrespect of our Russian culture. We had better learn from the suicides of America, England, Holland and France, if we are to survive as a nation. The Muslims are taking over those countries and they will not take over Russia. The Russian customs and traditions are not compatible with the lack of culture or the primitive ways of Sharia Law and Muslims. When this honorable legislative body thinks of creating new laws, it should have in mind the Russian national interest first, observing that the Muslim minorities are not Russians.

The politicians in the Duma gave Putin a five minute standing ovation.

------------------------------

Donald Trump has found an unlikely supporter in Australia, with the former Labor leader Mark Latham backing his campaign for US president. Latham, who led Labor to defeat by John Howard in the 2004 election, has been an even more controversial figure in Australian since his political demise. In the spirit of his contrarianism, he delivered a strident defence of Trump in his new column in the Daily Telegraph.

“For the past quarter of a century, under the 24-hour news cycle, whenever a non-politician, a genuine outsider, has run for elected office, the media have jumped all over their novelty value, depicting them as some kind of freak show,” he wrote. “Donald is by no means perfect but I much prefer his approach to the lying snakes of machine politics and media manipulation.”
Appreciate 4
      04-03-2016, 06:26 AM   #2
Andrewthefirst
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M140i

I'm no fan of Putin, but I have heard that speech before: a great quote. Wish we had some leaders in Western Europe with balls.

If only ISIS would try a bit harder on Russian soil so we see what happens!

Plenty of great quotes from Enoch Powell about, a man well before his time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-03-2016, 06:30 AM   #3
Andrewthefirst
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M140i

Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      04-03-2016, 07:48 AM   #4
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS

That Vladimir Putin quote is fake, by the way.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 09:44 AM   #5
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by other_evolved View Post
That Vladimir Putin quote is fake, by the way.
http://http://www.snopes.com/politic.../putinduma.asp

Quote:
Moreover, this item is highly reminiscent (and appears to be a variant form of) an opinion piece originally written by an U.S. Air Force veteran shortly after the 9/11 attacks in 2001, versions of which have falsely been attributed to various world leaders (primarily the prime ministers of Australia and the UK) in the intervening years.
Appreciate 1