BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-27-2017, 10:57 PM   #1
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

Tupelo, Mississippi

Toying with the idea of going down south, Holiday.
Not sure if I'm going to fly drive (get a rental while I'm there or just taxi around. OR get a rental, drive down (ROAD TRIP) but fly back
From TO, for 2 people westjet (return) charge $1800 (2+1) or $1300 (2) , so I'm thinking of leaving the misses at home and going myself but flying one way, I'm guessing the rental would still be cheaper, though longer (gmaps says 15hour drive)

I'm a die hard Elvis fan, so Graceland is the draw, not sure if there is a r&r scene out there, or if it's all country, or probably rap now LOL.

Also BBQ and Fried Chicken LOLZ

MAYBE thinking also of Georgia, maybe Atlanta (the Ray Charles connection) but not too sure?

So a stupid question, as a brown guy (asian) packing a British accent and driving down from Canadia, am I gonna encounter any problems, I heard somewhere that Miss, is one of the poorest states in the US, is the crime rate high, what about discrimination, I'm going down south yall ! Again may sound stupid and stereotypical. I've seen "The heat of the night" right LOLZ

But seriously, any thoughts ideas

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 11:34 PM   #2
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

You're in luck. I live in MS and have been all over the state so I can answer any questions.

Don't worry about discrimination, you won't run into the klan or anything like that. If you make it to Jackson or nearby I'd be happy to show you around. MS is one of the best kept secrets of the south. Great people, extremely hospitable and we take care of our own, and if you're here, that includes you!
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      06-28-2017, 09:55 AM   #3
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

hey dude,
txs man, and also for the info and hospitality
gmaps shows jackson as being about 200 miles south
so is that the "deep south" lolz
mind you if I've travelled 1500 kms whats another 200.

dammit, just remembering, Gracelands is Memphis, DOH, Tueplo is El's birth pace thats about 100 miles west

Do you know what the music scene is like in this here parts,
country, hillbilly, rockabilly ? or now a big mixture
for me thats the draw,

I also wanna hit some bars maybe with some live music.
If I'm travelling without family, that's easier to co-ordinate.

I'm kind thinking like in that Swayze movie, roadhouse.

Of course the cultural stuff and touristy things

mayvbe some more googling
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #4
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

As for the music it's the best bit aside from nature activities and we have a mix. In the sticks it's mostly country, in the city it's everything. Lots of cool funk bands, some hip hop, some bluegrass, etc etc. electronic artists occasionally. The way it works is there are venues and bands come by as the come through town usually on their way to New Orleans so we get a little of everything every night. Most bars have live music nightly as well.

Not as much touristy stuff unless you're into agriculture history, natural science, that sort of thing. The Vicksburg civil war park is really cool, also in tupelo specifically there is a cool auto museum.

The food is to die for. I've been all over the world and it's some of the best there is.
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      06-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #5
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

sweet, I'll continue to mulch over it, I may now need to consider memphis as well

laters

and txs !
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 03:33 PM   #6
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
hey dude,
txs man, and also for the info and hospitality
gmaps shows jackson as being about 200 miles south
so is that the "deep south" lolz
mind you if I've travelled 1500 kms whats another 200.

dammit, just remembering, Gracelands is Memphis, DOH, Tueplo is El's birth pace thats about 100 miles west

Do you know what the music scene is like in this here parts,
country, hillbilly, rockabilly ? or now a big mixture
for me thats the draw,

I also wanna hit some bars maybe with some live music.

If I'm travelling without family, that's easier to co-ordinate.

I'm kind thinking like in that Swayze movie, roadhouse.

Of course the cultural stuff and touristy things

mayvbe some more googling
May I suggest Nashville....
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      06-28-2017, 04:01 PM   #7
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

When I visited Memphis a few years back, I was shocked by the racial tension that still exist. I found it very odd. I am a born and raised Missourian.

Steve
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      06-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #8
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Going on a KKK tour mate? Of course you'll have race issues. Now i aint never been to mississippi (that's how they talk btw) but everyone knows "what's up."
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      06-28-2017, 10:26 PM   #9
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

I've handled race issues all my life, but back in the UK I guess it's home, and I know the territory. But then we don't have pick-ups, klan or guns, and the local police don't call you son or boy (when there beating the fcuk outta you with there truncheons )

LOLZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
Going on a KKK tour mate? Of course you'll have race issues. Now i aint never been to mississippi (that's how they talk btw) but everyone knows "what's up."
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 10:27 PM   #10
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Yeah, I may not do memphis, been told the crime rate is pretty high.

Unless I'm riding shotgun with a person who'es a lighter shade of pale PMSLROFLMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyDog View Post
When I visited Memphis a few years back, I was shocked by the racial tension that still exist. I found it very odd. I am a born and raised Missourian.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 01:06 AM   #11
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I am so sorry that you all perceive us to be that way.
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      06-29-2017, 06:34 AM   #12
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
Wow, the ignorance is high with this one!

If Elvis and bbq are of interest, go to Memphis. Yeah high crime in certain areas but you will be fine in touristy spots. Nashville would be a great town to visit too.
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      06-29-2017, 06:41 AM   #13
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

isn't there a significant Vietnamese contingent in the Gulf Coast and Mississippi ?

Mississippi, Louisiana by car, seems like a nice vacation. Wonder if they have tours through the Mercedes plant in Alabama.
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      06-29-2017, 09:42 AM   #14
Awsm66
Registered
Rep
Drives: Blue 2010 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
This thread is disturbing. I had no idea people still see us this way or to even think that we would be like a TV show from the 80s.

Memphis does have high crime rates but its not a racist thing most of the time as far as I know. You don't hear of white on black crimes very often (like KKK stuff). Memphis is 72% black so why would you want to have a lighter skinned person with you? I am not sure I follow you there.

I have been there several times for work and have never had any issues but I stay away from the bad areas. Its been a while since I have been to Graceland (6th grade trip) but if I am not mistaken that is definitely a place you should see if you are an Elvis fan. Like others said if you stay in the tourist areas you are usually good.

Also since when did being Asian become an issue in the south. I thought the stereotype was that MS and other southern states just hate black people. I didn't know Asians were included in that.
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      06-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #15
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsm66 View Post
This thread is disturbing. I had no idea people still see us this way or to even think that we would be like a TV show from the 80s.
Just remember that the person who posted that freely admits he's never been to Mississippi...
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      06-30-2017, 07:08 AM   #16
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

I think I get most of my stuff from youtube, media, films tv shows etc.

Before I got to NY NY thought that there would be constant cop chases and shoot outs. cop cars screaming round the corner, and a white guy jumping onto the bonnet of his Torino

And even Queens NY, when I was there was NOTHING like "Coming to America."

Was kinda miffed that I didnt see at least one shoot out.

I think the minority and (media) spoil it for the rest

Reading some of the posts on various forums, people must think London is full of Muslims and illegal immigrants, and we all stop at 3pm to drink tea !
Some stated "no go" areas I've walked through and partied with NO issues, even my Dad didnt want me going to a party, because it was in a "minority part of town" funny, no-one jumped me or anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 07:22 AM   #17
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

txs for the reply, and yes, it is ignorance, not ashamed to say.
Some of the comments, are tongue in cheek.
This is the Trump years, man who ever heard of fake news b4 him, BLM movement and cop shootings .

I mean I know the US isnt like the TV shows, been to NY and queens.

When I say asian (lets say "indian" as a catch all) , see and this is my ignorance, I "don't" know if there would be an issue.

True story, on a plane from LHR to NY, sitting next to a black lady and her little girl had to be about 7 or 8. Had a ball of a time singing songs, doing games. She thought I was like in teaching or something. Got to discussing backgrounds. When we where getting of the plane, she said to me, "you have a bit of a hispanic look, so just be careful, until you start talking folks won't twig your british"

Again I had no problems, but it was a comment I had from an american female.

Let's say this thread is more about ignorance, information and some light hearted banter.

NO intention of stereotyping, or being mean (not on my part anywhere)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsm66 View Post

Memphis does have high crime rates but its not a racist thing most of the time as far as I know. You don't hear of white on black crimes very often (like KKK stuff). Memphis is 72% black so why would you want to have a lighter skinned person with you? I am not sure I follow you there.

I have been there several times for work and have never had any issues but I stay away from the bad areas. Its been a while since I have been to Graceland (6th grade trip) but if I am not mistaken that is definitely a place you should see if you are an Elvis fan. Like others said if you stay in the tourist areas you are usually good.

Also since when did being Asian become an issue in the south. I thought the stereotype was that MS and other southern states just hate black people. I didn't know Asians were included in that.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #18
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyDog View Post

Steve
Now all that said, I never felt uneasy about being there. I loved my visit to Memphis. If you are in the area be sure to stop at Gus's Fried Chicken and Flight. The Madison Hotel was awesome and the employees all told me what their favorite rib places were. We ended up driving across Memphis to the Commissary (good food) on their recommendations.

Steve
Appreciate 0