BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-07-2019, 07:49 AM   #1
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Cool RaceDeck Free Flow. help me choose one

Hey guys and gals! so i'm in the middle of trying to get a design idea of how I want my garage flooring to be. here's a few designs I came up with and maybe you guys have something better to suggest. my garage is 37'x23. the right side tho dips down about 4' but still retains the 23' depth.

LED lighting I installed to brighten the garage up!

I have the Husky all black garage system coming in which will be 243" across the back wall along with my 56" HF upper/lower toolbox with side cabinet and locker which comes to 86.5" wide. so I had ideas of incorporating blue in the tile scheme but also thought maybe keep in simple and leave it without the blue. walls will be a medium gray like my interior and ceiling will remain flat white. with the tool cabinet and the garage system I will have less than 5" of space on both sides on that back wall

here's the medium gray i'm referring to

here's somewhat of a few inspirations

here's my ideas without the blue theme

1) black border with alloy fill

2) black border with graphite fill

and here's the variation with the blue scheme

3) black borders, blue/graphite fill

4) black borders, blue/alloy fill

5) black borders, blue fill

6) black borders, blue outline, graphite fill

7) black borders, blue outline, alloy fill

8) black border, alloy outline, blue fill

9) black border, graphite outline, blue fill

10) thinner black border, blue outline, alloy/graphite checker

alright guys and gals...what do you think? any suggestions? I really appreciate your input as i'll probably be ordering the tile some time this month once I decide the route I choose
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 08:14 AM   #2
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

I’m all about practicality first, then aesthetics. So I would want to easily walk, move a jack and other floor tools and find dropped small parts on the floor, then make sure it is up to regular use and will retain its function and look, and then finally choose whatever does those things and looks good.

I like your layout and look. #1 is my personal preference and #7 a close second, but that is up to you.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2019, 08:14 AM   #3
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Floor tile no.4
Appreciate 2
      07-07-2019, 08:22 AM   #4
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Have you considered having your floor coated?
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2019, 08:28 AM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
I’m all about practicality first, then aesthetics. So I would want to easily walk, move a jack and other floor tools and find dropped small parts on the floor, then make sure it is up to regular use and will retain its function and look, and then finally choose whatever does those things and looks good.

I like your layout and look. #1 is my personal preference and #7 a close second, but that is up to you.
i'm opposite right now since most of my big projects are out of the way like the lift suspension on my truck and lowering of my BMW. maintenance stuff like oil changes are easy so i'm not too worried about the smaller maintenance side of things. I may end up using one side of the garage to put a couple of couches and a TV on the wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
Have you considered having your floor coated?
that's what I have on the floor now but it just looks like chit so I decided to go with the floor tiles.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 1
2000cs3445.50
      07-07-2019, 09:08 AM   #6
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
i'm opposite right now since most of my big projects are out of the way like the lift suspension on my truck and lowering of my BMW. maintenance stuff like oil changes are easy so i'm not too worried about the smaller maintenance side of things. I may end up using one side of the garage to put a couple of couches and a TV on the wall

that's what I have on the floor now but it just looks like chit so I decided to go with the floor tiles.
I was thinking a professional job. It won't ever look like your current floor.

https://granitegaragefloors.com/
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2019, 10:58 AM   #7
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

member suggested something like this

than I came up with thinner black borders, larger graphite/alloy checkers
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 11:17 AM   #8
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I was lucky enough to be able to have my own garage built at my previous home, and decided to make it look nice. I went with the Racedeck also, but after having lived with it for a few years, don't think I'd do it again.

- it's a pain to keep clean, especially with lighter colored tiles
- water gets trapped underneath the tiles
- tiles tend to shift ever so slightly in annoying spots

If I were you, just have your floor coated properly.
Appreciate 3
      07-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #9
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

I have Swisstrax ribtrax flooring and is similar to what you are looking at. I had my floors coated prior to switching. The coating lasted a long time (professional installation), however it did wear out. I park my daily in the garage and in winter the little embedded rocks in tires and all the salt beats the heck out a coating. My garage floor was also bare for years and the salt had migrated into the slab. So the coating eventually wore out in parking surfaces.
I have had ribtrax for 7 years. I park on them every day through winter as well. All the water and slush/snow falls through the grated tiles. So always dry on my feet. I use a hydraulic floor jack easily, jack stands no problem. My only issue is a creeper won’t roll, but being clean I just slide under now. I do an annual cleaning. I pull the tiles in long, full length sections out to the driveway 2 or 3 tiles wide. Pressure wash them off and squeegee out the floor to remove the rocks/sand/debris. Then slide each section back in, they just clip together easily.
Anyways I like your design 10. I used black and white checkers with a border of red then white around the outside. White tiles stain from dirt on my tires contact spots. The others don’t show anything. My white tiles that are not on tire contact area are still perfect.
Appreciate 2
2000cs3445.50
      07-07-2019, 11:41 AM   #10
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Pic of tiles
Attached Images

17 M2 AW, DCT, black grills, eventuri, bm3 Stg 2, csf intercooler, Fabspeed sportcat, AA charge pipe, 285r/265f pss, 285/30r18 re71r’s square apex 10x18, and smooth riding TC Kline coil overs with a very heavy throttle foot.
Appreciate 2
P111541.50
      07-07-2019, 08:34 PM   #11
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

I just ordered my Racedeck Free-Flow tiles late last week and went with the following design for my floor, I’m partial to numbers 3,4, or 10 for your floor.

Name:  72550DB8-F0DD-402D-9899-83281E0219A7.jpeg
Views: 1984
Size:  195.0 KB

2021 MBB M5C (retired) 2018 Daytona Violet M3 ZCP (retired), 2016 AW 550i (retired)
2013 EBII 335i (retired), 2008 Platinum Bronze 535xi (retired), 2007 Monaco Blue 335i (retired)
1999 Hellrot M3 coupe (retired)
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2019, 09:34 PM   #12
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post
I just ordered my Racedeck Free-Flow tiles late last week and went with the following design for my floor, I’m partial to numbers 3,4, or 10 for your floor.

Attachment 2094152

I should check yours out when yours is installed. I really like your design
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 04:37 AM   #13
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

My OCD wouldn’t allow me to have the white tiles as I would imagine they would get dirty very quickly.

I really like the VW floor myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 12:31 PM   #14
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

real quick -

you mention inside redesign and now garage redesign.

Where is your garden redesign? I'd like to see how you planted your money trees? Seems like they are doing really well.
Appreciate 3
      07-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #15
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
real quick -

you mention inside redesign and now garage redesign.

Where is your garden redesign? I'd like to see how you planted your money trees? Seems like they are doing really well.
well since you asked, I planted these spruces and for some reason after these things open up $100 bills just fall on the ground and I pick them up and deposit them in the bank. sometimes by the bucket fulls. only happens during spring tho

Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1135.00
      07-09-2019, 01:16 PM   #16
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
My thoughts:

1. Garages can't be bright enough. I'd be pick the brightest color scheme possible, and potentially choose a darker section on wear areas to hide soiling.

2. I wouldn't personally choose open/grated tiles. Things can and will drop into the open spaces. Even dropping a screw/bolt that doesn't fit may randomly shoot the part a random direction. I'd pick a solid design.
      07-09-2019, 01:33 PM   #17
jimmyfloyd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I was lucky enough to be able to have my own garage built at my previous home, and decided to make it look nice. I went with the Racedeck also, but after having lived with it for a few years, don't think I'd do it again.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

- it's a pain to keep clean, especially with lighter colored tiles
- water gets trapped underneath the tiles
- tiles tend to shift ever so slightly in annoying spots

If I were you, just have your floor coated properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
My thoughts:

1. Garages can't be bright enough. I'd be pick the brightest color scheme possible, and potentially choose a darker section on wear areas to hide soiling.

2. I wouldn't personally choose open/grated tiles. Things can and will drop into the open spaces. Even dropping a screw/bolt that doesn't fit may randomly shoot the part a random direction. I'd pick a solid design.

There are two schools of thought with this:

1) Grated tiles so water flows through
2) Solid tiles so things don't fall through.

I have a cheap plastic version of Racedeck coin patter in the solid. I also live in the Northeast where we get rain and salt/snow. I've considered the Solid vs Grated many times, and though I would prefer the solid for the exact reason mentioned: dropping small parts. However, I can count on one hand the number of times in the last 4 years that I have been working with parts small enough to fall in. Most of those are when working on small engines, and usually I take those parts to my bench. I can however relate to how many times I have walked out to the car and there have been puddles on top of the flooring because the solid floor doesn't drain well. I can also say that the moisture that builds up underneath is not helpful.

Because of these observations, and those of the P1et, i would suggest you stick with the grated, at least where the car will be, or maybe even just where the wheels would be, since that would be most of your moisture.

On a side note, I have a badly spalled floor, and even my cheap solid ones are a million times better for moving stuff around and working on the car.
      07-09-2019, 06:04 PM   #18
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
My thoughts:

My LED's are pretty bright. I may end up adding more afterwards? The gray I'm using is pretty neutral so I don't think it'll effect how light or dark it'll make the garage. We'll see. I've seen quite a few YouTube reviews about dropping small items and most of them reported it's not a big deal. My garage is sloped so even during the winters when the ice melts it rolls down into the front of the garage
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #19
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep

If I ever drop a small nut/washer and it falls into the grated tile, I either use a magnet to retrieve it, or if that won’t work I just use a hook tool to pull up the tile edge to grab the item.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #20
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

Just installed my Racedeck Free-Flow tiles, very happy with the results and had great customer service.
Attached Images

2021 MBB M5C (retired) 2018 Daytona Violet M3 ZCP (retired), 2016 AW 550i (retired)
2013 EBII 335i (retired), 2008 Platinum Bronze 535xi (retired), 2007 Monaco Blue 335i (retired)
1999 Hellrot M3 coupe (retired)
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2019, 09:06 AM   #21
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just installed my Racedeck Free-Flow tiles, very happy with the results and had great customer service.
very nice brother! I need to check this out! how far are you from Toledo? the stripe across the walls gives me ideas! BTW, the checkers look like alloy/graphite? this almost looks like what I wanna do

Appreciate 1
DDD311646.00
      07-11-2019, 10:58 AM   #22
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
I would have made that outer border white (why make the corners dark), but that looks really good.