BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

06-20-2022, 03:41 PM   #45
Lanejcooper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Ah misunderstood but nonetheless ix has more legroom than current x5 and x7, which have same amount of second row legroom
X7 with captain’s chairs have far more leg room with the ability to lean the seats back
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 03:54 PM   #46
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanejcooper View Post
X7 with captain’s chairs have far more leg room with the ability to lean the seats back
Ah I see sorry I own both talking about when x7 second row (bench or capt) is in “standard” position - which offers identical. You slide it all the way back to create more space 3rd row becomes unusable. I need that 3rd row.

Ix significantly more second row legroom than that standard second row position (and default position in x5)
Appreciate 2
Refujeet263.50
PABrian149.50
      06-20-2022, 05:30 PM   #47
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by itWorks View Post
Hidious-looking kidney grill. Looks like an appliance. A BMW Refrigerator.
I suppose it is subjective. Wife just got hers. I think it looks fine and definitely better than in pictures. Of course, taste is subjective…Audi grills are bigger IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 05:44 PM   #48
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e xdrive

Interesting as I have a 2016 x5 50i and have been planning to replace it soon with either a Rivian (can get one now as my pre order was 3 years ago, X7 or ix50.
Reading this thread it is almost an endorsement for the X7! My two primary needs are ability to put a mountain bike in the back with seats folded and QUIET highway cruising. Dont want the v8 this time around if I go X7, cuts the fuel range and is less smooth/quiet then 40i.
      06-20-2022, 07:16 PM   #49
Refujeet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor488 View Post
What is your take on the luxury aspect IX vs X7?
The iX is less "luxurious" than the X7...but these cars are just positioned differently.

I think the iX was designed to compete against the minimalist Tesla models, whereas the X7 is the flagship X model.

We are already seeing that BMW can do luxury for mainstream i models with the i7. We will just have to wait for the iX5 and iX7!
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2022, 07:24 PM   #50
Refujeet
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermar View Post
Interesting as I have a 2016 x5 50i and have been planning to replace it soon with either a Rivian (can get one now as my pre order was 3 years ago, X7 or ix50.
Reading this thread it is almost an endorsement for the X7! My two primary needs are ability to put a mountain bike in the back with seats folded and QUIET highway cruising. Dont want the v8 this time around if I go X7, cuts the fuel range and is less smooth/quiet then 40i.
If you don't need the back seats, and those are your only requirements, you could do any of those!

I fit my kids' bike in between two car seats today. Just got to be a little creative.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 08:36 PM   #51
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refujeet View Post
The iX is less "luxurious" than the X7...but these cars are just positioned differently.

I think the iX was designed to compete against the minimalist Tesla models, whereas the X7 is the flagship X model.

We are already seeing that BMW can do luxury for mainstream i models with the i7. We will just have to wait for the iX5 and iX7!
Yeah, the iX is designed to be more of a 'glimpse into the future' and to get the range and performance it's got, they've used a lot of things like carbon fibre which means that things like the doors no longer have that BMW 'heft' that the bigger SUVs have. I don't doubt that they could have put the BMW comfort seats in but it's not the style they're looking for as while those are really comfortable, they date the car. Just like I'm sure the head pillow in high end Mercs is probably really comfy, it looks so retro and old fashioned.

I don't think we're going to be seeing an iX5 or iX7 any time soon though anyway. Probably not until the next generation. They're both due LCI updates relatively soon and that'll keep them going for a few years. I suspect BMW's plan is to let the iX cater for those that want a 'large' SUV and wait until next gen battery tech gets to the point where they can release an X5 or X7 with fewer compromises. We'll probably get an iX7 that can do 500 miles in something like 5 years' time.
Appreciate 3
Refujeet263.50
PABrian149.50
sahajesh2294.00
      06-21-2022, 10:32 AM   #52
TrainingCaptain
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW IX

I just found that i7 will have youtube integrated in the infotainment. Check this out: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CfElP...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 10:33 AM   #53
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

So I had the opportunity to spend some time in an iX and have some feedback on some of your gripes here:

Quote:
  • Driver's side visibility when changing lanes is worse (thicker B pillar?), but this might be because the X7 has HUGE windows.
I'll agree with this. I think it's a combination of the depth of the B pillar and how wide the D pillar is in the back. A bit of side view mirror angling can fix this, mostly, but it's not as clear as other X models.

Quote:
  • The new iDrive will need some getting used to...a lot of the features are hidden in there.
IMO, yes and no. It takes some getting used to when you're first sitting there and setting it up, but once you set your settings and move some apps to the top of the grid for easy access, it's all smooth sailing from there. Use the shortcut ("hamburger" buttons, as I like to call them...the buttons with an icon and three lines on them) buttons religiously, especially the one next to the parking camera button. Also you can assign custom gestures to control almost anything in the car, so that can help too. It seems like a very "set it and forget it" kind of system, and IMO it works very well at doing that.

Quote:
  • Harmon Kardon sound system is fine. I'm not an audiophile, and I don't think this is good. I should have upgraded...so if you are on the fence, just do it. I've never updgraded to the highest sound system on any of our cars, but I would do that if I had the chance again.
Interesting, I felt as though the HK in the iX is better than in the X5/X7, and same with B&W. I tend to leave the EQ dead flat and never use SiriusXM (garbage quality), and really enjoyed both systems.

Quote:
  • Cruise control distance adjustment is not a button on steering anymore...they could have just used the same rocker/swivel switch as the volume/track button on the right side of the wheel. I have different distance settings for traffic, versus driving full speed on a highway, so this might get annoying.
I noticed this too. I sometimes do adjust this, but most of the time ended up keeping it at one or two, so it doesn't bother me much. As another person mentioned, I'd try out the adaptive distance mode for a bit to see how that works for you. As it is, the car will always follow closer at lower speeds and farther at higher speeds, but changing this to suit your preferences can make a difference.

Quote:
  • Speed limit doesn't show up in the dash now...I might not have activated the right setting. It used to work on the X7.
So, I noticed this too and was very confused why a new, high tech car didn't have this, so I asked a buddy of mine at a dealer and he said apparently this is a software issue that's affecting some cars and will be fixed in an update soon. Now, I'm in the US, so I don't know how relevant this might be to you in Canada, but I'd reach out to your dealership and ask them if this is a known thing that'll get fixed. I'd be shocked if that feature just disappeared like this.

Quote:
  • Door mechanism is weird. When you open it, the door just "pops" open, rather than the smooth motion in other BMWs. And the door definitely feels cheaper than other X models from the outside (I have soft close).
So, I wonder if this is a consequence of fully electronic door openers. I've kind of noticed this on other cars with buttons to open the latch. I've also found if you pull the exterior handle hard when opening, it'll feel less polished and smooth than if you're just smoother with it. Also, soft close doesn't affect anything other than latching the door fully if you half-latch it. It won't change how the door feels to open or close otherwise.
Appreciate 2
Refujeet263.50
grueber479.00
      06-22-2022, 06:19 AM   #54
hilld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Z4, 18 X1, 22 Rivian R1T

Quote:
If you don't need the back seats, and those are your only requirements, you could do any of those!

I fit my kids' bike in between two car seats today. Just got to be a little creative.
Can wait for torklift or somebody else to make a 2" receiver for the iX. Would be the first in line to order it.
Appreciate 1
Refujeet263.50
      06-23-2022, 11:37 AM   #55
TrainingCaptain
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW IX

Btw did anyone find any kind of cover for the reat under seat air vent. I fear dust will go into it and will be difficult to clean.
Do not want to block it as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 11:40 AM   #56
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainingCaptain View Post
Btw did anyone find any kind of cover for the reat under seat air vent. I fear dust will go into it and will be difficult to clean.
Do not want to block it as well.
Well here's what Audi's look like:

And the X5:

Last edited by Paladin1; 06-23-2022 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 07:02 AM   #57
Garycoral
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60 / 45e

Quote:
What is your take on the luxury aspect IX vs X7?
We have a loaded up 45e and now the iX - The Lux factor is for sure better with the 45e... Materials, details, etc. The door sills for example are just pain black plastic - Not illuminated M like our X5.

Very different feel - Not worse just different... Not sure I'm keeping mine - I have another loaded 45e being built this week that might replace the iX - Trying to discern which will be more satisfying long term.
Appreciate 1
Refujeet263.50
      07-02-2022, 08:02 AM   #58
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i (2019)

RE: "5DN Parking Assistant Plus w/Surround View"

I'm also considering Canadian iX with Premium package which has the above parking option. Does it have all parking sensors and how do you find your parking experience? I noticed there's also $500 option for "Parking Assistant Professional" and trying to understand what are we missing in "Plus vs Professional".
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 08:07 AM   #59
Refujeet
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinV View Post

I'm also considering Canadian iX with Premium package which has the above parking option. Does it have all parking sensors and how do you find your parking experience? I noticed there's also $500 option for "Parking Assistant Professional" and trying to understand what are we missing in "Plus vs Professional".
I have the 5DN and have all the cameras/sensors, and it also backs out of parking spots based on your path in.

I'll have to check, but the professional might also find a parking spot and park for you too.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 08:18 AM   #60
razor488
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

I think the professional will operate the throttle during the parking process.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 08:19 AM   #61
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

That's how I understood it as well - proably only difference is automatic / hands-free parking to the parking spot of your choice. I actually have it now on my X5 and NEVER used it successfully in 3 years. I did try though, but every time it starts maneuvring I either touch break peddal or steering at which point it disengages. I just don't trust car that much.
I followed a story of one lady on X5 forum few years back when she tried to use "backout" feature on parking lot and smashed into another car thinking it will be fully autonomous. After reading that story I could never trust the car that much doing any sort of maneuvring for me.

So probably I'll be fine with just Plus vs Professional...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 08:27 AM   #62
Refujeet
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's how I understood it as well - proably only difference is automatic / hands-free parking to the parking spot of your choice. I actually have it now on my X5 and NEVER used it successfully in 3 years. I did try though, but every time it starts maneuvring I either touch break peddal or steering at which point it disengages. I just don't trust car that much.
I followed a story of one lady on X5 forum few years back when she tried to use "backout" feature on parking lot and smashed into another car thinking it will be fully autonomous. After reading that story I could never trust the car that much doing any sort of maneuvring for me.

So probably I'll be fine with just Plus vs Professional...
Same. Had it in all my last few cars, and never bothered with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 02:57 PM   #63
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
I think the professional will operate the throttle during the parking process.
No, the plus system already does it all for you. Professional will allow you to record macros for frequently used parking spots and then take over driving and parking when you get there. For instance, you might record from your driveway into your garage if its particularly twisty or something and then the car will ask you if you want it to take over as soon as you get to the start location every time you get home.

BMW is planning a further build on this that will allow you to execute those saved manoeuvres from outside the car using the key or app.
Appreciate 1
PABrian149.50
      07-04-2022, 03:41 PM   #64
Refujeet
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Just checked again, and my car can park itself. So I guess the professional will have features above and beyond.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-04-2022, 05:00 PM   #65
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

I think the main feature of Parking Assistant Professional is the ability to store a few fixed manoeuvres that, in a future update, should also be executable without being in the car. I.e. so your car can park itself in your garage. I was hoping to use it for the narrow parking space we have (courtyard garden) but I think it'd be too tight for the car to do itself - red distance alerts all around when I manoeuvre manually.
Appreciate 1
Refujeet263.50
      07-04-2022, 09:28 PM   #66
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Just checked again, and my car can park itself. So I guess the professional will have features above and beyond.
Thanks for confirming, now I know I’ll have all same parking capabilities!
Appreciate 0