12-12-2023, 04:50 AM   #1
i8Saffa
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Charging Issues

Hi All,

I have a 2015 i8, which I love very dearly, but what I don't love is the constant issues I have with charging and the software charging functionality.

First off, the software on the car is atrocious. It never changes when you set it to, and will only be set if you tell it when you want to leave. Some of us I assume do no use the car on a day to day basis and don't have a scheduled time to leave. So why couldn't BMW make it simple and have a setting that does what it says. "I want to it to charge between these two hours and that's that" - clearly that is to easy.

Anyways to get around that I had to get a WiFi controlled breaker that I can set the times I would like the car to charge at (during the early hours of the morning for the cheap rates). It has all been working well to some extent and wondering if other people have noticed these issues:
1. If I set the breaker to switch off at a certain time (long after the car has fully charged), I get an alert saying that charging was interrupted. Which I guess is fine, what is not fine is the fact that the car then drains itself throughout the day, and when I come to getting in the car a couple of days later, the batteries are completely flat. Drained, nothing there. Entire 13KW of battery gone. makes no sense at all.
2. To counter this issue above, I have not set an off time on the breaker. Which is fine on most occasions except for the point that comes next.
3. I have solar panels and batteries and can view the rate of grid power draw from the app for them. What I have noticed at times is that after the car has completed charging in the early morning it has intermittent power draw spikes throughout the day. Constantly, for no reason that I can think of. Spikes for about 5 minutes at about a 1KW draw. Happens about every 30 minutes or so for the whole day.
4. Following on from point 3, If I leave this for the whole day at some point at the end of that day, I get a notice saying charging was interrupted (which it was not, breaker is still on and the charge point is all lit up without errors), and then subsequently, like in point 1, the batteries on the car completely drain themselves. To prevent the car batteries draining I have to disconnect the car from the charge point.

I have gone to my BMW dealership, who give the usual shrug of the shoulders "Dunno mate". They refuse to raise this with BMW main office. They check the car and say there is nothing wrong with it. I have done all the diagnostics and show them all the evidence and they won't do anything about it.

Has anyone had this issue with theirs? and if so got any advice or if someone has a contact at BMW that is more helpful than the dealerships?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 08:18 AM   #2
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Bizarre. It is like the grid system is stealing back the e.

How does the charging system work from other sources of electricity??
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 09:03 AM   #3
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
Have you ever replaced your 12v battery?
When my 12v battery was ending its life I would see the wall charger turn on briefly to charge the car every few hours.

The 12v battery is maintained by the main traction battery when the wall charger is not hooked up to the car or powered on.

Maybe your traction battery is being drained by a faulty 12v battery that it is attempting to keep charged causing the spike you are seeing.

Last edited by Coastali8; 12-12-2023 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 1