Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

01-21-2024, 02:30 AM   #1
starstreak
Private
Rep
Drives: Lexus GS350

2024 i4 Xdrive-Just got it, I have some questions and thoughts

Just got my 2024 i4Xdrive40. San Remo Green Metallic. Love the color. Interior is Moca Vernasca Leather w/ventilated seats.

Note: The dealership, at the time of ordering didn't have any i4's in stock so I couldn't really test dive it.

So far the car hasn't given me any issues but maybe those with the vehicle might be able to answer or offer thoughts on a few things.

1) Ventilated seats.. On the highest setting, I can just feel it. Lowest setting, I can hear it but doesn't help much. Someone said with the Leather seats, I would loose the adjustable side bolsters (yep) and the ventilation doesn't work as well as the normal seats.

2) Again, not sure if it's the choice of seats, but it feels like I'm setting on wood covered with a little cushion. Not as bad as sport bucket seats, but I thought it would be a little more comfortable.

3) The center armrest. Is there really no height adjustment or forward/back adjustments?

4) In the manual, there looks to be a storage area bellow the light switches on the left side. But all I see is plastic. Did they remove the storage?

5) What the heck is with the volume of exterior sounds? Reversing sounds interesting while inside the car... Until I found out it so loud that you can hear it from inside the house with the windows closed.
Can you make it quieter or turn it off?

6) Same goes for the arm disarm beep. It's 2x louder than any car I had. Not as loud as the horn arm/disarm, but it's close. Any way to make it quieter? I don't really want to turn that off.

7) I LOVE the auto lock and unlock when leaving and walking to the vehicle. But it's also annoying!
A) When my wife leaves in the morning and she walks to her car, the BMW will chirp and unlock and unfold the mirror. The issue is her driver door can't be opened with my mirror opened so she has to lock the car so the mirror folds in again. She said she'll get used to doing that. but the CHIRP is loud at 6am.
B) Is there a way to program HER BMW key fob to not auto unlock on approach, while keeping mine turned on?

8) Brings up another point. The folding mirror. There's only and option to fold/unfold with the lock/unlock of the car. You can't tell it to fold on arm and NOT unfold with disarm. Why didn't BMW make the mirrors fold/unfold with the start/stop button like Audi or other manufacturers. AND I see it'll auto unfold if I drive way with it closed. So technically it doesn't need to unfold with alarm disarm. It's not like the car's puddle lights are coming from the mirrors so they need to be opened. The pathway lights isn't even on the door.
If you know of a fix let me know.

9) Apple and android carplay... Why the heck can it NOT be wired? my wifes car can be be both wired or wireless carplay. It's annoying with apple carplay because there's like a a second or two lag when changing songs. It's not like BMW doesn't have a USB port right next to the charging pad. Oh wait. It does.

10) I have a iP15PM. With the case on, there is no way to use the charging pad. doesn't fit. Gonna love to see what happens if the next generation of android or apple phones are any longer. Maybe it's a good thing? I heard the pad is causing overheating/bricking of iPhone 15s? I hope they fixed that. My dealer never heard of that issue.

11) laserlight- I know in the USA it's not adaptive (always on, but blocks cars infront from being blinded) But can you actually tell when it turns on? Anything on the display? I was driving a long stretch of road, I saw the highbeams come on once I hit like 25-30mph. And I think I read the laserbeams come on if I drive above 38mph (60kph). But I saw no difference when I was going 45mph?
Other features did work like the left and right movement of the lights on turns and the side turning lights do come on (I like that, the Audi had it too and I liked that feature)

12) I have the HK audio. And unless the wireless appleplay is somehow doing this, I swear most of the sound is on the driver side. I don't hear anything from the center. I can turn on/off the surround and besides making it sound a bit more open, it seems the voices all come from the left speaker. I can "try" and move the fader to the right. It'll help with the voices, but of course that lowers the overall volume to some degree. Anybody know what I can try?

13) Unlike my wifes car that when you open the charger door, the BMW has that, plus the two little covers for the ports. But if you try and close the cover without closing the port covers, there's a tab that stops you from closing the cover. Why didn't BMW just rubber stopper on the inside of the cover so if the port covers aren't closed, it'll push down on the covers and locket with the door flap? 2x I caught my son trying to force the cover flap close without closing the port covers. lol

14) We have a ICE vehicle gas/electric besides this all electric BMW. It's the first all electric we have have. How can I tell what kind of milage I'm getting since it doesn't use a MPG, but a Kw/mi or something?

15) Lastly, can the 2024 i4 Xdrive codes be edited? Like where I can enable the true adaptive lights for the laserlights? or any other features?

Thanks for hearing me out!
Appreciate 1
X3_Alaska142.00
      01-21-2024, 07:18 PM   #2
note46
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe, 328d SW, i4

1) I've heard the same and on my old BMWs I had to set them to highest to feel any difference. On my i4 I did not get vented seats.

2) Heard same from others with vented seats
3) Correct only opens.
4) Removed starting in 2023MY I believe.
5) I don't remember if you can turn this down, I'm fairly certain they made it louder with one of the OTA but I don't remember exactly
6) I turn off the beep, you can easily see with the lights as well on your app the status of the doors.
7)B) yes create a profile for her and set it so it does not lock/unlock on walk away/approach
8)There is a switch next to the mirror adjustment that allows you to manually open/close the mirrors
9) Not sure most people seem to prefer wireless but I don't use either.
10) The overheating issue on iphones I believe is fixed by Apple with an OTA update
11) There is a blue headlight icon when the high beams are on. With auto headlights and high beam assist, it will automatically dip the high beams when cars are detected. It also seems to detect street lights and dip when it seems them. It's not speed dependent as far as I've used.
12) No idea
13) No idea, but I've noticed on newer models (eg, i5) they don't have the neat flip cover anymore and just have a cheap plug cover for the DC part.
14) Don't concentrate on the guess o meters miles, instead learn the % that you use. This is the best way since the GOM will vary greatly depending on how you drive, wind, rain, temp, elevation, speed, etc. The % also vary depending on the same condition but it's a better indicator IMO of how far you can drive.
15) Umm sort of but not much, you can only do simple things. You have iDrive 8.5 and most stuff on 8.5 are you codable.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 07:31 PM   #3
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Bro go see a genius at the dealership face to face to aid in understanding your car. That’s what they are there for.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 04:38 PM   #4
starstreak
Private
Rep

Thanks for those that answered what you could.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 12:27 AM   #5
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

14 - I have set the consumption to Miles / kWH and then I have it displayed on the dash (hit BC button on indicator stalk) and have it set to 'since last charge'. You can then see current consumption in realtime but also the average since last charge.

If you want over 200 miles of range, you need to keep above 3 mi/kWh etc.

When stationary, you can also see the impact of the heating on the power drain!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 07:11 AM   #6
wesleyan92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC || M5 Comp || X7 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X740i  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5  [0.00]
BMW ventilated seats are the biggest scam on the planet - LOL.
      02-28-2024, 09:53 PM   #7
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstreak View Post
Just got my 2024 i4Xdrive40. San Remo Green Metallic. Love the color. Interior is Moca Vernasca Leather w/ventilated seats.

Note: The dealership, at the time of ordering didn't have any i4's in stock so I couldn't really test dive it.

So far the car hasn't given me any issues but maybe those with the vehicle might be able to answer or offer thoughts on a few things.

1) Ventilated seats.. On the highest setting, I can just feel it. Lowest setting, I can hear it but doesn't help much. Someone said with the Leather seats, I would loose the adjustable side bolsters (yep) and the ventilation doesn't work as well as the normal seats.

2) Again, not sure if it's the choice of seats, but it feels like I'm setting on wood covered with a little cushion. Not as bad as sport bucket seats, but I thought it would be a little more comfortable.

3) The center armrest. Is there really no height adjustment or forward/back adjustments?

4) In the manual, there looks to be a storage area bellow the light switches on the left side. But all I see is plastic. Did they remove the storage?

5) What the heck is with the volume of exterior sounds? Reversing sounds interesting while inside the car... Until I found out it so loud that you can hear it from inside the house with the windows closed.
Can you make it quieter or turn it off?

6) Same goes for the arm disarm beep. It's 2x louder than any car I had. Not as loud as the horn arm/disarm, but it's close. Any way to make it quieter? I don't really want to turn that off.

7) I LOVE the auto lock and unlock when leaving and walking to the vehicle. But it's also annoying!
A) When my wife leaves in the morning and she walks to her car, the BMW will chirp and unlock and unfold the mirror. The issue is her driver door can't be opened with my mirror opened so she has to lock the car so the mirror folds in again. She said she'll get used to doing that. but the CHIRP is loud at 6am.
B) Is there a way to program HER BMW key fob to not auto unlock on approach, while keeping mine turned on?

8) Brings up another point. The folding mirror. There's only and option to fold/unfold with the lock/unlock of the car. You can't tell it to fold on arm and NOT unfold with disarm. Why didn't BMW make the mirrors fold/unfold with the start/stop button like Audi or other manufacturers. AND I see it'll auto unfold if I drive way with it closed. So technically it doesn't need to unfold with alarm disarm. It's not like the car's puddle lights are coming from the mirrors so they need to be opened. The pathway lights isn't even on the door.
If you know of a fix let me know.

9) Apple and android carplay... Why the heck can it NOT be wired? my wifes car can be be both wired or wireless carplay. It's annoying with apple carplay because there's like a a second or two lag when changing songs. It's not like BMW doesn't have a USB port right next to the charging pad. Oh wait. It does.

10) I have a iP15PM. With the case on, there is no way to use the charging pad. doesn't fit. Gonna love to see what happens if the next generation of android or apple phones are any longer. Maybe it's a good thing? I heard the pad is causing overheating/bricking of iPhone 15s? I hope they fixed that. My dealer never heard of that issue.

11) laserlight- I know in the USA it's not adaptive (always on, but blocks cars infront from being blinded) But can you actually tell when it turns on? Anything on the display? I was driving a long stretch of road, I saw the highbeams come on once I hit like 25-30mph. And I think I read the laserbeams come on if I drive above 38mph (60kph). But I saw no difference when I was going 45mph?
Other features did work like the left and right movement of the lights on turns and the side turning lights do come on (I like that, the Audi had it too and I liked that feature)

12) I have the HK audio. And unless the wireless appleplay is somehow doing this, I swear most of the sound is on the driver side. I don't hear anything from the center. I can turn on/off the surround and besides making it sound a bit more open, it seems the voices all come from the left speaker. I can "try" and move the fader to the right. It'll help with the voices, but of course that lowers the overall volume to some degree. Anybody know what I can try?

13) Unlike my wifes car that when you open the charger door, the BMW has that, plus the two little covers for the ports. But if you try and close the cover without closing the port covers, there's a tab that stops you from closing the cover. Why didn't BMW just rubber stopper on the inside of the cover so if the port covers aren't closed, it'll push down on the covers and locket with the door flap? 2x I caught my son trying to force the cover flap close without closing the port covers. lol

14) We have a ICE vehicle gas/electric besides this all electric BMW. It's the first all electric we have have. How can I tell what kind of milage I'm getting since it doesn't use a MPG, but a Kw/mi or something?

15) Lastly, can the 2024 i4 Xdrive codes be edited? Like where I can enable the true adaptive lights for the laserlights? or any other features?

Thanks for hearing me out!
Hello

#7 - Yes you can program the vehicle to lock when walking away, but NOT unlock when approaching - the setting should be under "comfort access" in the "doors/windows" app

you can also disable the audio chirp when locking/unlocking and that too can be found in the "doors/windows" settings app

#8 - if you fold in the mirrors via the fold button inside the vehicle, then that will disable the "folding mirrors on lock/unlock" feature and so the mirrors will remain in the closed position until you:
A. Unfold them via the same button that is inside the vehicle
B. Driving and exceeding a speed of ~ 22 mph

Once you unfold the mirrors, the "fold mirrors on lock/unlock" will then be re-enabled!

I hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 09:16 PM   #8
starstreak
Private
Rep

Thank you. I just figured out if I Fold the mirrors manually. It does stay folded even when you walk up to the car. I think that’s the best way. I can do it for now because the fold and unfold feature is either all or nothing meaning if I enable it it all fold wind, locked and unfold when unlocked I don’t have an option to only fold unlock and not to unfold when unlocked
As far as the tripping, I really don’t want to turn that off as that’s my indicator as I’m walking away that my car is locking. It’s too bad there’s not an adjustment on how loud the chirping is. I can’t believe that it bothers me as much as it does and no one else here on the forum. Heaven for bed I’m working on something in the garage with the keys in my pocket the car will chirp every time I get too close to it. Or in the early morning when my wife goes to her car, it chrips once on the way to her van, that’s on the other side of my car, she comes back to get the rest of her things in the house and it chirps again, then as she leaves with the last group of things, it chirps, one more time, and as she pulls out the garage chirps again.
Appreciate 0